Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

petition to get Becks in Team GB

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Fascinating.

I didn't realise Olympic Squad places were dished out like the House of Lords.

His various sponsors were even asked to comment.

Was Bobby Charlton considered ? He worked on the bid too.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Interesting thread. Can't be arsed to read the last two pages but would suggest that there would be no problem in Becks being a squad player. Would be interested to know if the people that slag him off have actually seen his games at LA. Also, let's be honest, he only went there because McLaren made it clear he wasn't going to figure in his squads, a big mistake. Having said that, he hasn't been picked by Pearce and the matter should rest there. Whilst I posted the petition on the Government site regarding Aaron Cook, that was because he was the recognized No. 1 in his sport at his level whereas football is far more subjective.

Disappointed to note only two signatories.
Withdrawal of Taxpayer and/or Lotter funding from minority sports - e-petitions

Daddies_Sauce

Falmer WSL, not a JCL
Jun 27, 2008
Beckham became a very rich from football, but then found even more money from advertising and media. He is however now past it from a footballing view point. The Olympics is about the best sportsmen or women from each country being give the chance to prove themselves against the rest of the world. Something will be very wrong if he does get selected due to press or fans pressure, yet the Taekwondo world number one Aaron Cook is not selected due to sports politics.

wehatepalace

Limbs
NSC Patron
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage
f*** Pearce, Becks should have had his final hurrah. I think Pearce is trying to prove a point, but unfortunately he's not even a good manager, so I can't see team GB getting a medal.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
56 names. Going well then...

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
I don't want him in. Big names playing would mean that any press conference that they give, even for a nothing game, will probably get more exposure than someone who has dedicated a lifetime to trying to succeed in a less well known sport. The Olympics should be about giving those guys their day in the sun rather then focussing on the already massively over exposed.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
When Winifred Zaha goes to Blackburn or Wigan for only £2.5m, I wonder whether some thick Palace fan will start a petition along the lines of "Get noddy northern club to pay £5m more for Zaha because we think he's good enough"?

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
The Olympics is about the best sportsmen or women from each country being give the chance to prove themselves against the rest of the world.

That's patently not true given the selection criteria of a partial under 23 squad plus an arbitary 3 overage players. If it was "the best" it would be a free rein to pick anyone, or if it was an under 23 tournament, enforce it to be under 23, not a bit of both.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here