Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

petition to get Becks in Team GB

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I get what you're saying, but you're on a different topic to me.

I'm disputing your comment that HE should just give up.

Whether he SHOULD be picked or not is seperate. However, you can't surely CRITICISE his determination to still want to represent his country? surely?

Of course I can't but he should be savvy enough to know when his time is up. He reminds me of a punch drunk boxer who doesn't know when to quit . He doesn't need the money he seems to need the limelight. He can carry on playing at a lower level, it doesn't have to be at the top if he just wants to play football. I think it's quite sad tbh

Last edited:

Aadam

Resident Plastic
Feb 6, 2012
Because he's past it at International level and it would just become another Beckham Circus which would be an insult to the other players for that to happen. Not forgetting the whole team would have to revolve around him AGAIN. No thanks, I don't care how desperate he is for one last shot in the limlight

Past it? When was the last time you watched him play? He is still scoring fantastic goals and free kicks (something England doesn't do well), he can still set up goals (43 assists in 98 games for LA Galaxy, he would get more with better players on the end of his crosses). I would bet he'd have done better than Milner on the right wing in the Euro's... For a start he can put the ball into the box and actually PASS the damn ball, which is something England dramatically failed at this summer...

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Past it? When was the last time you watched him play? He is still scoring fantastic goals and free kicks (something England doesn't do well), he can still set up goals (43 assists in 98 games for LA Galaxy, he would get more with better players on the end of his crosses). I would bet he'd have done better than Milner on the right wing in the Euro's... For a start he can put the ball into the box and actually PASS the damn ball, which is something England dramatically failed at this summer...

I can't argue with that logic, if you really think he's still at the top of his game and could be playing for England as well, I'll bow out here.

rocker959

Jan 22, 2011
Plovdiv Bulgaria
No thanks

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
i agree that beckham should not be there...after all what the f*** has he ever done...its not as though he tried bloody hard to get the world cup here ( OH yes I remember now all the other footballers lining up to make speeches to FIFA) and actually he had nothing to do with getting the olympics either, in fact it probably hindered our bid with him pressing the flesh and being seen as an ambassador - after all around the world everyone knows sebastian Coe don't they...who knows beckham?

I am sick to death of Beckham supporting all these good causes, helping out where he can. Coming over as a thoroughly decent human being who is very much a family man...what I want to see is a player who thinks its good idea to still a mibile up his bum and have someone ring him..that is more representative surely. And that nice Mr Bellamy..he would be great to represent all that is good about GB.

I think its a spiteful decision taken by a Pearce a failed football manager who thinks ( as lots of managers have done in the past ) that Beckham is bigger than they are...and of course he is!

Still, I am sure Pearce will be there meeting officials and being an ambassador for this country after all, he has reinvented himself from a nasty dirty half decent footballer to some great Englishman. Good for him

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
What a load of media driven bollocks.

The media wanted 'Arry for England and told us that EVERYONE wanted it as well. Hmm, as it turned out, not only did the FA not want him, neither did Spurs.
Now the media are mostly (not all on this one tbh) aghast that Beckham isn't in the GB squad, and want us all to be horrified as well.

Erm, is it just me, or are the media just wanting people that make their life the easiest. How much easier to write a piece on the GB team with Beckham in it. They could just write for 2 days about his haircut and they sell papers.

A HUGE great portion of THIS!

Roy didn't do badly, and I'm sure TEAM GB will fare pretty well, even without the Beckham. I listened to Talksport for about a minute when Durham was banging on about it being a travesty and there will be zero interest in the football now. Really? I think not.

Did I expect him to be in the team? Yes. Am I outraged that he isn't? No.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Bunch of miserable bastards. Of course it's the right thing for him to be in the team. Passion, loyalty, romance - and he helped to win it for us

i agree he should have been there, but the petition is lame. last time i looked it had 9 signatories

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Perhaps if Pearce had been any sort of a man he would have told DB he wasn't going to pick him for the squad but given him a role on the bench as per Hodgson and Gary Neville but then again that is the difference between a man who can MANAGE a team and one that cant as Pearce has proved in the past.

Last edited:

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Perhaps if Pearce had been any sort of a man hge would have given DB a role on the bench as per Hodgson and Gary Neville but then again that is the difference between a man who can MANAGE a team and one that cant as Pearce has proved in the past.

Why on earth would you want the Beckham media CIRCUS causing a distraction all the time?

Perhaps you could get vb to design the players suits? and his lovely children to sing the national anthem?

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
i agree that beckham should not be there...after all what the f*** has he ever done...its not as though he tried bloody hard to get the world cup here ( OH yes I remember now all the other footballers lining up to make speeches to FIFA) and actually he had nothing to do with getting the olympics either, in fact it probably hindered our bid with him pressing the flesh and being seen as an ambassador - after all around the world everyone knows sebastian Coe don't they...who knows beckham?

I am sick to death of Beckham supporting all these good causes, helping out where he can. Coming over as a thoroughly decent human being who is very much a family man...what I want to see is a player who thinks its good idea to still a mibile up his bum and have someone ring him..that is more representative surely. And that nice Mr Bellamy..he would be great to represent all that is good about GB.

I think its a spiteful decision taken by a Pearce a failed football manager who thinks ( as lots of managers have done in the past ) that Beckham is bigger than they are...and of course he is!

Still, I am sure Pearce will be there meeting officials and being an ambassador for this country after all, he has reinvented himself from a nasty dirty half decent footballer to some great Englishman. Good for him

Rubbish, since when did work off the pitch count in someones favour. By that logic if Mark Farrington had promoted Albion night and day he would have been picked every week. The only decision Pearce can make is whether Beckham is currently a better footballing asset to the squad than Giggs etc

Landgull

Oct 30, 2009
I havn't been following this GB team debate but if you take just his passing ability then he should be in as we still have no one as good. As for playing 6 games in a short period of time he would have no problem at all as its the ball doing the work.

NickBHAFC18

Feb 24, 2012
Brighton

:thumbsup: Bang on

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003

How stupid of me I thought it was a place in a football team up for grabs, not a reward for services rendered, Let's kill two birds with one stone and make him player coach and give him the England job too. assuming he can fit it in around his schedule.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Perhaps if Pearce had been any sort of a man he would have told DB he wasn't going to pick him for the squad but given him a role on the bench as per Hodgson and Gary Neville but then again that is the difference between a man who can MANAGE a team and one that cant as Pearce has proved in the past.

I actually think that "being a man" is giving it to him straight and saying "nope, you're no longer good enough for the squad" end of. Sugaring the conversation with some wishy-washy coaching role, is the sort of spineless bollocks we got from Capello. Actually, change that, it's EXACTLY teh spineless bollocks we got from Capello. Was Beckham any use whatsoever as a coach in South Africa?

gazingdown

Feb 26, 2011
Was Beckham any use whatsoever as a coach in South Africa?
Actually, before the tourno Milner wasn't known (either way) for his crossing and turned out quite good at it as a direct (imo) result of Beckham's coaching.

Granted, not sure what else he contributed, only the players there really know.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here