Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Peter Taylor Saturday.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
The only word I can use to describe my feelings on the matter in INCENSED!

Yes, Taylor did a pretty good job, we played good football and we got promoted.

He did inherit a very very good side who more than likely would have been promoted under a different and reasonably good manager.

I liked him when he was here, and had no problem with him at all... and I firmly believe that with him as manager the following season we would have done so much better...

BUT - he walked out, had nothing to go to, and to cite the reason being the stadium/facilities - well frankly all the players should have said well **** it, the club is going nowhere, we should all leave too, and while we are at it, should us fans have given up on the club too?

Thats the point - HE GAVE UP ON US

He didnt go to a higher challenge at a better club, he just walked away and gave up.

He shirked the challenge - getting us up that season was a challenge, yes, but not a big one. Keeping us up would have been a great challenge which he would have been capable of achieving. (Lets be frank here, McGhee managed it later on with a worse side!)

I'm sorry, but I can't bring myself to clap a man for giving up on the team i love.

The point is you/I support one team all our lives. Managers manage numerous teams and they are committed to the club they are managing at the time but thats as far as it goes. Its a job and pay cheque. Every manager is the same and Taylor or even Slade is no different or any other manager we have ever had come to that.

Reinelt12

Sick Note
Nov 8, 2006
Lichfield, United Kingdom
Yet you can overlook the fact that Dick Knight apparently misled and LIED to him about the stadium?

Bizarre.

The key word there is apparently - do we have evidence to support this apart from Taylor's version of events?

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
Yep! Agreed, I liked Taylor, and I must admit as soon as we went 1-0 up I knew, just knew that we would win the game. At worst a draw. Can we even begin to say that now?

Also I think I am right in saying that after every defeat (of which only 4) that we followed it up with a win. Remarkable.

So what about the number of times we went 2-0 up and failed to win?

He took over a good team and added nothing. He knew the next year would be a task beyond him so he jumped ship. His career has been like that all the way through, Southend, Leicester, Albion, Hull, Palace. He never actually builds anything but is, no doubt, a good coach and I imagine, a thorougly nice chap.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN

He took over a good team and added nothing. He knew the next year would be a task beyond him so he jumped ship. His career has been like that all the way through, Southend, Leicester, Albion, Hull, Palace. He never actually builds anything but is, no doubt, a good coach and I imagine, a thorougly nice chap.

Does a CRACKING Norman Wisdom IMPRESSIONATION too :wrong:

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I always thought the job he did was underrated by many. I actually think getting us up that season was a HARD task, and I'm not convinced we'd have done it under Micky. Replacing Oatway with Lewis was the decision that turned us from good team into champions, and there is no way Adams would have made that call. We also became a lot tighter at the back under Taylor than we had been previously. I remember a period in October/November where we seemed to win 1-0 with Zamora scoring the goal EVERY week. Peter Taylor: Class and dignified manager in my book:clap:

Zamora set the club record by scoring in ten consecutive league matches, a run broken by the boring 0-0 Boxing Day draw.

Jamie

Jun 28, 2008

He did add something.. a central midfielder, think his name was Junior Lewis. No idea what happened to his career but he was a class central midfielder fo us. Skillfull, played the simple ball and was all over the pitch. Quality when with us. I think he was a vital edition to the adams squad and Taylor because of Lewis got them playing some football instead of just relying on Zamora to stick the goals away against the poor teams in the lowest divisions. Taylor succeeded in the division we are in now (and a division higher than adams) by playing football and it was the central midfielder he brought that allowed us to do that . Credit adams for his work in the basement but Taylor took us to another level and doesnt get the credit for that.

TonyW

Feb 11, 2004
I must agree

I totally disagree.

I don't care who I annoy with these comments, but Taylor is an arsehole!!!!!!

He only ever takes on roles that are easy.
ALL the work had been done for him at the Albion, he inherited a side that would have won the league with Mickey Mouse in charge (or even Mickey Adams :laugh:)

He left us with no manager because Dick wouldn't let him spend millions to strengthen the side for the Championship.
Er, no, try using your managerial ability and win some games at the higher level with the squad that got you promoted - yeah right.

He walked out on Hull for what appeared to be greener pastures, and when that rug was pulled out from under him, he then lied to all the Hull people about wanting to leave in the first place.

I'm sure if I could be arsed (and I can't because I don't give a shit about him) I could find very similar stories all throughout his career.

Easy-life wanker, well rid of him.

SW17

Jan 2, 2007
South London
He inherited one hell of a team that was always going to get promoted but he still tried to mess it up by signing and playing half fit nobodys like Junior Lewis so I dont rate him I think even Hinshelwood could have got us promoted that year.

Also he promised me on the pitch at Withdean after we won the title that he would not be leaving and then left a few weeks after so I for one will be booing him!!

Totally agree with that, remember Matthew Webb up front for us. What on earth was all that about?

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I'd applaud him, he did a very good job - but as others have said, he did quit on us. If someone would rather be unemployed, albeit for a short time, than have a crack at what would be a very tough Championship survival battle having earned the promotion, fans are going to be a bit gutted.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Given the way McGhee was treated after relative success in the circumstances ( no manager since has come close to emulating his achievements or league positions), I expect Taylor sees turning down the chance to be the manager of the whipping boys of the Championship as one of his better decisions

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here