Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Peter Taylor Saturday.

That's the one, didn't he sell Wicks though after Mickey bought him? Straining my memory here

My recollection is that Wicks and his agent/dad (former Chelsea player Steve Wicks), wanted a whole lot more money than we were prepared to offer.

Been a great career since he left us thos hasn't it!:lolol:

Newcaslte Utd Jets in the Australian A League:ohmy::ohmy::lolol::lolol:

The son of former QPR defender Steve Wicks, Matthew was a teenage star touted as the next Tony Adams, captaining the England under-17 team and graduating from the FA School of Excellence in 1995. Despite being attached to Arsenal he quickly joined Manchester Utd and the club were promptly reported to the FA. His father gave evidence in favour of United, claiming that Arsenal had ‘neglected’ his son: “When it came time to talk terms with Matthew we met Terry Murphy and Steve Burtenshaw at Highbury, and they admitted they hadn't seen him play for 18 months. In contrast, Alex Ferguson took time out to convince the boy personally to go to Manchester Utd.”

He returned to Highbury in January 1996, as Manchester Utd escaped a fine while Arsenal dropped a demand of £1,500,000 in compensation. He failed to reach expectations and, having never to progressed past the Arsenal reserves, joined Crewe Alexandra on a free transfer. Arsenal were due £100,000 if he established himself as a first-team regular, but after only 7 appearances, however, he fell out of favour and was placed on the transfer list. After a trial at Derby County he arrived at London Road and, with Dario Gradi no longer asking for a fee, he earned a contract at Posh in March 1999.

He made 24 appearances during the play-off winning 1999/00 season, but was unable cement a place in the starting line-up. He began the new season on-trial at Rushden and Diamonds, but, despite rumours of interest from Bournemouth, he joined Brighton and Hove Albion on-loan, scoring 3 goals in 8 games. Wicks issued a ‘sign me’ plea to the Seagulls, but he returned to Peterborough following the end of his loan spell, with the club unwilling to match Barry Fry’s valuation. Chairman Dick Knight said, “We are not going to pay £50,000 for Matthew Wicks. I am not having a gun put to my head.” Nevertheless, with his shirt number at London Road having been given to Dave Rogers, who had arrived on-loan from Ayr Utd, a permanent deal was inevitable, with Wicks joining Brighton for £25,000 a few days later.:lolol:

His impressive form continued, so much so that in December he was linked with Newcastle Utd and Wolverhampton Wanderers, with the latter allegedly offering £500,000:ohmy:. During the second half of the season, however, he suffered a series of reoccurring hamstring injuries and was unable to participate as Brighton won the league. Micky Adams then brought in Simon Morgan to partner Danny Cullip in defence and Wicks, having also fallen behind Adam Virgo in the pecking order, left for Hull City in swap deal in January 2002 for former Tottenham Hotspur youngster David Lee, becoming the Tigers' 16th signing of the season. Luton Town manager Joe Kinnear had announced that he had agreed a deal to take Wicks on-loan with a view to a permanent deal the previous month, but this was denied by new manager Peter Taylor.

At the end of the season he was placed on the transfer list having fallen out with the chairman and went into exile, with the club paying up his contract in February 2003. In March he signed a 2-year deal with Australian side Newcastle Utd Jets, managed by former Norwich City defender Ian Crook, for the new season, but it was speculated in June that he was having second thoughts about the move down under. He was released from his contract at the beginning of August, before the season had begun, on compassionate grounds following a family illness. He never returned to football.

Aug 9, 2003
East Sussex
Not sure where we were when he took over but if it was 4th then he still got a successful team.

From memory I'm pretty sure we were third.

For what's it's worth my view is that he did a decent job but I certainly don't rate him as our best ever. He may not even be our best manager called Peter Taylor.

Last edited:

I hope EVERYONE who goes on Saturday gives Peter Taylor a massive and heartfelt round of applause when he crosses the Withdean pitch.

He did a FANTASTIC job whilst he was here and never got the recognition he deserved for delivering the title for us.

It is a FACT he had the best ever BHAFC record in history with

34 games

19 wins
11 draws
4 defeats

68 points

Only 4 defeats in 34 games and we won the title at a canter by a clear 6 points.

Also he has supported the REMF coming to the first game as BHAFC manager and giving a team talk in the changing rooms at half time, he got a CPFC personally for the auction when all other avenues had failed and played in REMF 7 for the CPFC supporters.

He is a damn good manager with a track record of promotions wherever he has gone.

He also left with dignity and integrity after telling the board the money available did not allow us to compete in the Championship , something that was proved to be right and left us with 3 months to get a new manager and without a new job himself. Thats integrity.

A thoroughly likeable bloke.

:clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2:

Totally agree.
A Palace hero for me(in his playing days)
A very nice bloke.
Not the most succesful manager we've ever had but a great Palace player and,in my eyes,a Palace legend!

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
A decent post SW. Thanks mate.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I'm puzzled how people quote the new stadium as the reason Taylor left as planning permission was given 11 votes to 1, in June 2002. That was a month after he left and it was three months later when it was called in for a public enquiry. He wouldn't have known about any delays at the time. I think he said the reason was no money for players.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
What sort of reception did the Great Man get ?.

Was is :tosser:or :clap2:.

I could not be there as I was dragged shopping in Epsom.

Also what was the crowd and were were good or shite ?.

Thanks very much.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Oh my Days its back :jester:

jordanseagull

Feb 11, 2009
Don't know why he recieved, 'Taylor, what's the score?' but apart from that, OKAY.

Crowd were a pile 'o shite :lolol:

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
I was pretty relaxed in the knowledge that taylor would be over cautious and that they would not attack and that's basically how it turned out.

He'll be off when the job becomes a struggle.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I was pretty relaxed in the knowledge that taylor would be over cautious and that they would not attack and that's basically how it turned out.

He'll be off when the job becomes a struggle.

Unless I am wrong didn't Taylor appoint Beckham as England captain in the one game he was temporarily in charge ?

If so it was the best managerial decision he ever made.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
There's no doubting that he can work well with a talented bunch of footballers.

It's when he has to build his own team and when things aren't going well that he get's found wanting.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here