Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Peter Taylor Saturday.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
My view is he inherited a very exceptional team and didn't have to do too much to get us promoted and then jumped ship when he anticipated the going would get tough so as not to be detrimental to his cv. There are plenty of teams that get promoted and struggle because they don't have the budget. You can't wave a magic wand and a load of money suddenly materialises. It's not like we had bundles of cash sitting around and just told him he couldn't have any. When he joined, we were a small club fighting to survive and fighting a court case for our new stadium and the situation was the same when he left. I won't boo him but I certainly won't applaud him.

How the f*** did he jump ship, when he didn't have a job to go to?

When he joined, he signed a contract to the end of the season, he chose not to renew the contract.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
This is what PT said at the time

"To me the stadium would be something to be proud of and it's the only way the club is eventually going to go forward." Taylor has not signed the three-year contract on offer when he took charge in October, due to doubts over the timetable for the stadium and the poor standard of the training pitches at the University of Sussex, Falmer, where yesterday's celebrations were staged.

"After a week I couldn't hack it and I explained that to Dick straight away," Taylor said.

"The players here are now Division One players and they expect the facilities to be better. It is difficult for them to get on with their jobs when the surface they are training on is not good enough.

"If I don't see any light in terms of these two issues improving then I probably won't be here.

"I would love to see some light at the end of the tunnel regarding this stadium because nobody wants to see us finish fourth from bottom every year forever. You are happy to work your socks off for maybe two years, knowing there is going to be a stadium at the end of it.

"I need some confirmation. When I spoke to Dick the stadium was a year and a half to two years away. Now I am hearing a bit different, so I need to see some positive signs."

The stadium has also become a burning issue with the players who have taken Albion from soccer outposts like Hartlepool and Halifax to sleeping giants such as Sheffield Wednesday and Sheffield United in the space of two seasons.

Cullip4

Oct 4, 2003
Brighton
I said the same. Its f***ing extraordinary Alan it really is.

Looks lets just agree to disagree, I loved Taylor when he was here absolutely loved him one of the best seasons I can remember. I remember being in home end at colchester and going mental when "sunshine on a rainy" Gray scored and then remembering where I was. Indeed when we went up I ran straight on the pitch and hugged him.

But what should have been a great summer wondering who he was going to sign and how we were going to cope was ruined when he decided to walk away worried about how his managerial record would look and we ended up with Martin F*cking Hinshelwood and for that I cannot bring myself to forgive him.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Who said anything about league games?

I did in the first post and if your stats include cup games why put a point per game ratio as cup games do not get points ?.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Words fail me.

Lets get this right Al. It is Peter Taylor's fault we appointed Martin Hinshelwood. With opinions like this there is no point on carrying on this debate.

I also heard it is Peter Taylor fault that the Taliban will not surrender in Afghanistan and that the shit Summer weather was largely down to Taylor as well. :rant:

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
I cannot bring myself to forgive him.

For NOT renewing a contract at a club with very poor training facilities, no money and, at the time, no real prospect of that situation changing??

We stormed the league!, he gave us plenty of notice, didn't ditch us for another club and was entirely honest throughout his time here.

Like I said.. Unbelievable. :US:

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
How the f*** did he jump ship, when he didn't have a job to go to?

When he joined, he signed a contract to the end of the season, he chose not to renew the contract.

El Pres. Don't let facts spoil things.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
bhadebenhams got 12 A* grade GCSE passes :)

Perry Milkins

Just a quiet guy.
Aug 10, 2007
Ardingly
This has got the hallmarks of NSC Gold. A thread where TLO and Uncs are in agreement.

All we now need is for Simster and Bushy to have Tea together and the love in will be complete.

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
This has got the hallmarks of NSC Gold. A thread where TLO and Uncs are in agreement.

All we now need is for Simster and Bushy to have Tea together and the love in will be complete.

I reckon US has finally sobered up after being on a two year bender. Great stuff.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Lets get this right Al. It is Peter Taylor's fault we appointed Martin Hinshelwood. With opinions like this there is no point on carrying on this debate.

I also heard it is Peter Taylor fault that the Taliban will not surrender in Afghanistan and that the shit Summer weather was largely down to Taylor as well. :rant:

Corked wine, sluggish pound, global warming, Gordon Smith's miss, lost car keys, Malcolm MacDonald's sideburns, Trevor Jordache, the smell of bitter garlic, James Blunt, Lulu the elephant pissing on the Blue Peter studio floor, Geoff Thomas' two left feet, the Cutty Sark fire, the oppression of the Aborigines, Anne Widdecombe's moustache, two lovers missing the tranquillity of solitude, the OPEC cartel, freshly-laid dogshit on the pavement, the punctuality and comfort of First Capital Connect trains, Elizabeth Duke bling, the cancellation of the Beachdown Festival, the concept of childish sarcasm, the weather on Bank Holiday weekends, Keith Moon's fatal overdose, the closure of Sporting Colours, broccoli...

... all Peter Taylor's fault.

Smythe

Oct 8, 2008
Brightonian in Manchester
You cant argue with Taylors record on the pitch when he was here and thats what counts.........he may have inherited a good team but he brought it on further with a couple of good additions, junior Lewis was just what we needed at the time and i thought he was excellent. Adams took over a reasonable team last year which only really needed 2 or 3 players to strengthen it and he managed to completly turn us into shit!!!! Wasnt always pretty to watch under Taylor but very effective.......im struggling to think of a game in the last 3 or 4 seasons where we played as good as we did when we beat Reading 3-1.
Everything Taylor said about training faclilities, budget and stadium etc was true wasnt it?? He didnt leave us in the shit ,he gave the club plenty of time to find a manager.......DK just didnt manage to find one until Coppell came along.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
This is what PT said at the time

"I need some confirmation. When I spoke to Dick the stadium was a year and a half to two years away. Now I am hearing a bit different, so I need to see some positive signs."

Without wishing to sound like BHAdeb I think DK was extremely economical with the truth when he sold the Albion package to Taylor before he agreed to manage us. You might say Taylor should have done his homework better but then again our chairman should not have effectively lied to him about the timescale of the stadium. There was no way in hell the stadium was ever going to be built within two years of Taylor taking over.

I think Taylor was absolutely spot on and completely within his rights to walk away, job done. The man was totally honourable and probably felt a bit hoodwinked by DK as well, which I imagine helped him decide we were not the club for him anymore,

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here