Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Peter Taylor Saturday.

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
He knew we would struggle in the Championship and it would look bad on his record so he jumped ship, he did not have a much better offer on the table like Coppell so I believe that is called a coward!!

You boo the nasty coward then, fill yer boots :rolleyes:

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
He inherited one hell of a team that was always going to get promoted but he still tried to mess it up by signing and playing half fit nobodys like Junior Lewis so I dont rate him I think even Hinshelwood could have got us promoted that year.

Also he promised me on the pitch at Withdean after we won the title that he would not be leaving and then left a few weeks after so I for one will be booing him!!

Oh I see. In that case why did we even bother to appoint a manager that season. We should have just let the players decide who was going to play, the tactics, subsitutions and training and save on the unnecessary expense of wages for a manager that was not needed.

Also did you see Junior Lewis play for us as it was signing that secured the league title for us.

I just despare with remarks like this especially when you consider the dross we have had to endure with Wilkins for a lot of the time, Adams and Slade for a lot of the time. All of who had us at the arse end of the league whilst spending MORE money tham Taylor was ever given.

Some people still will not give any credit for 68 points from 34 games.

Quite incredible.

Basil Fawlty

Don't Mention The War
I hope EVERYONE who goes on Saturday gives Peter Taylor a massive and heartfelt round of applause when he crosses the Withdean pitch.

He did a FANTASTIC job whilst he was here and never got the recognition he deserved for delivering the title for us.

It is a FACT he had the best ever BHAFC record in history with

34 games

19 wins
11 draws
4 defeats

68 points

Only 4 defeats in 34 games and we won the title at a canter by a clear 6 points.

Also he has supported the REMF coming to the first game as BHAFC manager and giving a team talk in the changing rooms at half time, he got a CPFC personally for the auction when all other avenues had failed and played in REMF 7 for the CPFC supporters.

He is a damn good manager with a track record of promotions wherever he has gone.

He also left with dignity and integrity after telling the board the money available did not allow us to compete in the Championship , something that was proved to be right and left us with 3 months to get a new manager and without a new job himself. Thats integrity.

A thoroughly likeable bloke.

:clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2:

I absolutely agree, one of the finest managers we've had.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Well said Gareth. Peter Taylor II was one of the best managers we ever had. When he left, he even gave our board the whole summer to recruit a proper replacement, which they failed to do.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
My view is he inherited a very exceptional team and didn't have to do too much to get us promoted and then jumped ship when he anticipated the going would get tough so as not to be detrimental to his cv. There are plenty of teams that get promoted and struggle because they don't have the budget. You can't wave a magic wand and a load of money suddenly materialises. It's not like we had bundles of cash sitting around and just told him he couldn't have any. When he joined, we were a small club fighting to survive and fighting a court case for our new stadium and the situation was the same when he left. I won't boo him but I certainly won't applaud him.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
I seem to remember we won quite a few games 1-0 under Peter Taylor. Once we scored the priority was not to concede rather than go for a convincing victory.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Extraordinary. I give up.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Do what you want you UNGRATEFUL bastards.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
drew,
I think we were 4th when PT took over. By the time he left, we had the title in the bag, winning the league by ten clear points. He refined Adams's side to absolute perfection.

And I still maintain that there is nothing wrong with walking away after honouring your contract, which is all PT did really. And even then, he didn't leave the club in the shit - he gave the club as much time as they could possibly have had.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I seem to remember we won quite a few games 1-0 under Peter Taylor. Once we scored the priority was not to concede rather than go for a convincing victory.
Nothing wrong with that if you've got the players to make it work. Albion clearly did, we had some excellent defenders in that season - Cullip and Simon Morgan in particular.

Box of Frogs

Zamoras Left Boot
Oct 8, 2003
Right here, right now
Yes he knew we would struggle in the Championship with the team we had and needed to strengthen to enable us to compete. When he found that the budget being offered was not enough, he declined to continue, leaving us plenty of time to find a replacement.

If he had stayed he would not have been able to bring in the players he would have wanted, we would have got relegated and we would now be slagging him off as a manager that took us back down.

The guy can't win can he?

Cullip4

Oct 4, 2003
Brighton
Ok if we are going to reel off stats.

Before he arrived we had played 16 games that season won 10 drawn 4 and lost 2 a win rate of 62.5%. Compared to his all be it impressive 55.8% so we were officially worse once he arrived.

And remember kids the stats dont lie!!!:lol:

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
According to some, it looks like we didn't need a manager to win that division, and that we could have pissed it without one.

What a shame we had to blow all those wages on him by actually employing him...

:wozza:

Un-f***ing-believable attitude.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
drew,
I think we were 4th when PT took over. By the time he left, we had the title in the bag, winning the league by ten clear points. He refined Adams's side to absolute perfection.

And I still maintain that there is nothing wrong with walking away after honouring your contract, which is all PT did really. And even then, he didn't leave the club in the shit - he gave the club as much time as they could possibly have had.

Not sure where we were when he took over but if it was 4th then he still got a successful team. Didn't we win the league by 6pts from Reading? What would you say if one of your favourite players walked away at the end of his contract depriving us of a fee. No doubt there would be questions asked about loyalty. Afterall, it's not like he left to go to another job!

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
When MA left (1st time around) the next league match was at Huddersfield. There was a camera crew from OnDigital outside the stadium before the game and I was one of the fans interviewed. I remember saying that I didn't feel any animosity towards Adams and wished him well in his new job and when asked who I thought the new Brighton manager would be actually said Peter Taylor when he wasn't one of the expected frontrunners just a few days after Micky had gone.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I remember a marvellous night at Withdean when we SMASHED Reading 3-1 to go miles clear at the top. Steve Melton and Junior Lewis was IMMENSE for us that night. According to Pardew though, Reading were the best team in the League that season, despite us finishing top and taking 4 points off them (which would have been six had their keeper not fallen over in the last minute at the Mad Stad to get our goal disallowed).

Taylor did a great job for us. Didn't like his pointy nose though, it unnerved me.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Ok if we are going to reel off stats.

Before he arrived we had played 16 games that season won 10 drawn 4 and lost 2 a win rate of 62.5%. Compared to his all be it impressive 55.8% so we were officially worse once he arrived.

And remember kids the stats dont lie!!!:lol:

That is a lie. Taylor had 34 league games in charge. Before he arrived we had played 12 won 6 drawn 4 and lost 2, 22 points, point per game 1.83. His record was 34 games 19 wins 11 draws and 4 defeats, 2.0 pts per game. Try again.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Not sure where we were when he took over but if it was 4th then he still got a successful team. Didn't we win the league by 6pts from Reading? What would you say if one of your favourite players walked away at the end of his contract depriving us of a fee. No doubt there would be questions asked about loyalty. Afterall, it's not like he left to go to another job!
You might be right about the 6 points come to think of it.

But as to your question about walking away, well I can honestly say I'd have no problems with that at all. That is why contract negotiations need to be done well before the contract expires, even if that means bumping up the player's pay and extending the contract before the existing contract actually expires. It does happen - I'm fairly sure Celtic could have sold Jan Vennegoor of Hesselink for a fee, yet he is a free agent. I doubt Celtic fans hold him in contempt.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
According to some, it looks like we didn't need a manager to win that division, and that we could have pissed it without one.

What a shame we had to blow all those wages on him by actually employing him...

:wozza:

Un-f***ing-believable attitude.

I said the same. Its f***ing extraordinary Alan it really is.

Cullip4

Oct 4, 2003
Brighton
That is a lie. Taylor had 34 league games in charge. Before he arrived we had played 12 won 6 drawn 4 and lost 2, 22 points, point per game 1.83. His record was 34 games 19 wins 11 draws and 4 defeats, 2.0 pts per game. Try again.

Who said anything about league games?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here