Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

People that still call the Premier League the 'Premiership'

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I was always taught during school that you should only use an apostrophe if you're abbreviating (isn't, aren't, wouldn't) or if something belongs to something. Who's stadium is it? Brighton's. Or following a name ending in s. James' or James's are both technically acceptable.
:lolol: you couldn't break the rule quick enough could you :D
What exactly were you abbreviating there?

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
Seagulls. Sans apostrophe. I was always taught during school that you should only use an apostrophe if you're abbreviating (isn't, aren't, wouldn't) or if something belongs to something. Who's stadium is it? Brighton's. Or following a name ending in s. James' or James's are both technically acceptable.

PS; Seagulls' would be alright if talking about one of our players though. As you said, it's complicated.

Whose stadium is it?

JamesAndTheGiantHead

Sep 2, 2011
Worthing
You might be interested in adult nappies?

I deserve to be in my own filth after my lecture on correct grammar, containing its own ironic bollock-up. I was going to write 'faux pas' at the end of that last sentence, but I had to Google it to find the correct spelling.

I have brought shame to NSC.

NSC's.

Jul 20, 2003
I always feel happier serving people who ask for, "two gins and tonic", rather than, "two gin and tonics".

I like gin.

...... and good f***ing manners.

JamesAndTheGiantHead

Sep 2, 2011
Worthing
I always feel happier serving people who ask for, "two gins and tonic", rather than, "two gin and tonics".

Surely the latter makes more sense though.

The first is like saying 'I want two Gins. And some tonic'. Where as the second makes 'Gin and Tonic' a noun, which I'd like two of. I expect I'm wrong though. Though's.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
Surely the latter makes more sense though.

The first is like saying 'I want two Gins. And some tonic'. Where as the second makes 'Gin and Tonic' a noun, which I'd like two of. I expect I'm wrong though. Though's.
I agree with that, a 'gin and tonic' is a set drink, and is more like one entity, so asking for two would make it two "gin and tonic"s?

Also wouldn't asking for two gins and tonic result in you being given two measures of gin and some tonic?

Jul 20, 2003
in fairness it depends if you consider 'gin' a discrete unit (no pun intended) or if you consider 'a gin and tonic' a semantic unit

I think

any-f***ing-way (an example of 'tmesis') I'm having a cider

Jul 20, 2003
tmesis = dystmesis

both good words but both a waste of whatever the plural for s is in scrabble.

esses? ss?

eees complicated

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Like others, I wasn't that aware it had been renamed. And have to confess I couldn't be less bothered if I tried.

However, it did make me go on the Premier League website to find the press release from 2007, when the rebrand happened. Says a lot about modern football if you ask me:

“Barclays Bank plc – the UK’s leading personal and corporate banking and investment institution – is today announcing a five year sponsorship of the elite tier of English football.

The deal will be worth £950m over five years, and sees the Best League In The World™ renamed the Barclays Premier League®.

“Barclays is delighted to be making this major investment into the Barclays Premier League,” said Barclays Chairman Sir Timothy Hethrington-Jones.

“Barclays has always been a keen follower of success, both in finances and football, and investing this Barclays money into the Barclays Premier League will enable Barclays to support some massively reckless overspending by deluded clubs and wanton wallet-flashing by Bentley boy players. This is exactly the kind of Barclays Life™ I lead, and the association is an important one for Barclays to be making.”

Fans of the Barclays Premier League will be renamed Barclays Premier League Customers, and allocated to clubs on a success-based formula. The more money a club can make from shirt sales in Malaysia, the more Barclays Premier League Customers it will be given on a pay-per-support basis. Top Barclays clubs like The Manchester United could see average Barclays Premier League Customer spend soar to £800 per MatchDay eXperience©, with actual attendance at the game an optional extra.

“Anyone not prepared to call themselves a Barclays Premier League Customer will be shot,” smiled Sir Timothy icily.

“Persist in claiming to be, say, a member of the ‘Toon Army’, and we’ll repossess your elderly mother’s house the very next day.”

Barclays also has ambitious ambitions for anyone mistakenly harking back to the good old days of the Premiership.

“It never existed. Never. Barclays Football was invented by the Barclays Derivatives Trading Arm in 2007 as a complex vehicle designed to garner huge bonuses for me and my Board colleagues through random movements of a white spherical object around a grass-based surface.”

Anyone claiming pre-existence of the game before 2007 will be shot. Barclays has already petitioned the Government to return the so-called 1966 World Cup to its Precious Metals Trading Team.

“Get with the programme,” quipped Sir Timothy, waving a flunkey forward to press a glossy Barclays brochure into my hand. “That’ll be £45.”

Last edited:

Sep 1, 2010
Thick people who call Asda 'Asdas' really get my goat. Even worse is that dating show 'Take Me Out' where they all call the Island of Fernando 'the Island of Fernandos' ffs! It's a bloody outrage I tell ya, OUTRAGE!

Massive this. It has been winding me up for years. I used to work in the Taxi trade and every booking that came in from the freephone was some odious teenage mum out to buy her weekly shop of crisps calling to order her Taxi from Asdas or Tescos

Poyetry In Motion

Pooetry Motions
Feb 26, 2009
6.61 miles from the Amex
Meanwhile, we were discussing Canon League Division 1 , were we not???? I used to call the Premiership....Canon Lea...ohh... :)

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Minteh Wonderland
Bugs me too - but the suits used the confusion.

The league was called the Premiership in the UK, but Premier League overseas (never officially EPL, afaik). And the organisation itself was always called Premier League, I believe.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
It isn't - it's actually abbreviated from "Asquith" and "Dairies", Associated Dairies having merged with Asquith supermarkets.

However, this is academic since if we were "with the programme" and er.. "had a cow" (or even a diary) we would be referring to the supermarket as Walmart, or possible Walmarts.

Wow your ignorance continues. You know nothing AND are willing to rely on incorrect wikipedia info to illustrate it & mislead everyone!?
Associated Dairies was a huge UK wide company that BOUGHT OUT a mini 3 shop company branded Queens (owned by Asquith) & expanded using shortened Associated DairieS name for the shops
Academic, you are not

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here