Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

People that still call the Premier League the 'Premiership'

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Isn't St. Andrew's actually called that though, as in it s name is St Andrew's primary school?

I went there for a year, but left during a term when we moved house. We all had biscuits on my final day. Miss bought them.

I still find that poignant.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Isn't St. Andrew's actually called that though, as in it s name is St Andrew's primary school?
It may even have CE in there, but the name would have derived from St. Andrew. They could have copied the university which seems to be just called St Andrews, but the fact they've used an apostrophe suggests it's the school of St Andrew - ah, it seems the church next door is called St Andrew (no s). So when naming the school, they had to decide whether it was St Andrew Primary School, or St. Andrew's, and they obviously decided the latter was correct.

So if you were going to the church, would you go to St Andrew, or St Andrew's?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
A thread which was started about the Premiership turns into an earnest debate about the name of my old primary school.

Only on NSC.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
A thread which was started about the Premiership turns into an earnest debate about the name of my old primary school.

Only on NSC.
Stop commentating and teach god damn it, you studied there for Christ's sake.

Last edited:

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
It may even have CE in there, but the name would have derived from St. Andrew. They could have copied the university which seems to be just called St Andrews, but the fact they've used an apostrophe suggests it's the school of St Andrew - ah, it seems the church next door is called St Andrew (no s). So when naming the school, they had to decide whether it was St Andrew Primary School, or St. Andrew's, and they obviously decided the latter was correct.

So if you were going to the church, would you go to St Andrew, or St Andrew's?

That's a toughie, I guess it comes down to what it is colloquially known as, and as I'm not from the church road area I have no idea. I would probably call it st andrews as it's pretty standard for churches... Like St. peter's, st bartholemew's, st George's etc

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
That's a toughie, I guess it comes down to what it is colloquially known as, and as I'm not from the church road area I have no idea. I would probably call it st andrews as it's pretty standard for churches... Like St. peter's, st bartholemew's, st George's etc
Just googling it's clearly called St Andrew, just as the supermarket is called Tesco, so a fair comparison. The school is obviously named after the church, so would also be St Andrew, but when adding Primary School they've added the 's, as presumably you would if you said you were going to St Andrew's church (or St Andrew's for short) or Tesco's shop (or Tesco's for short).

I went to goldstone. But I would never call it goldstone's!
:facepalm: That explains everything

Kidding. I guess when naming the school they get to choose what they're going to call it. When we say where we're going we often say what's easiest (hence not saying Waitrose's).

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
Just googling it's clearly called St Andrew, just as the supermarket is called Tesco, so a fair comparison. The school is obviously named after the church, so would also be St Andrew, but when adding Primary School they've added the 's, as presumably you would if you said you were going to St Andrew's church (or St Andrew's for short) or Tesco's shop (or Tesco's for short).

:facepalm: That explains everything

Kidding. I guess when naming the school they get to choose what they're going to call it. When we say where we're going we often say what's easiest (hence not saying Waitrose's).

Well, I would call it what ever the sign outside says it is called. And yes, goldstone was a bad school, but I was there in a period of transition, still though I know a few from knoll who have already done time/are in prison (and I'm only 19... Give it 10 years and the school reunion will be just me and Mr. Pearson... Not that there are reunions.)

Back to the topic at hand, I call it the premiership, because otherwise how would that joke about the boat that has never docked at liverpool work...

JamesAndTheGiantHead

Sep 2, 2011
Worthing
seagull's
seagulls'

?

it's complicated

eees complicated

?

Seagulls. Sans apostrophe. I was always taught during school that you should only use an apostrophe if you're abbreviating (isn't, aren't, wouldn't) or if something belongs to something. Who's stadium is it? Brighton's. Or following a name ending in s. James' or James's are both technically acceptable.

PS; Seagulls' would be alright if talking about one of our players though. As you said, it's complicated.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here