Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Pascal Groß the raumdeuter - officially leaves for Dortmund :(

Flounce

Nov 15, 2006
Heart vs head. I’m very sad to see him go, but getting a few million quid for him aged 33 is good business.

I’m just sad that there hasn’t been a chance to say our goodbyes. I hope we can at least get him to come back for a half-time appearance at some point — perhaps during Germany's 'Winterpause'? The only obvious opportunity would be Arsenal at home on Jan 4th. Would be great to have him as a guest of the club for the day. Allow him to see the banner (which I’d happily contribute to).
Only problem with that is that half the stadium will be on the concourses. Best do it before the game imo and bin the fanzone shite for it.

Reddleman

May 17, 2017
I don’t think there are enough words to describe the impact that he has had for the club. The list of crucial goals and assists is off the chart.

I’m genuinely sad he’s gone, which as a grown man has caught me a bit by surprise!

But… better to leave with us all thinking him a legend and wanting more rather than maybe see him drop off a little or pick up an injury and barely play.

Mustafa II

Oct 14, 2022
Hove
Heart vs head. I’m very sad to see him go, but getting a few million quid for him aged 33 is good business.

It's not good business at all. It's terrible business. A player like Gross could easily have another 5 years in him.

But it's not about the money. Gross obviously feels the time is right - we could hardly deny him a move like this. It's a fantastic move for him.

Wish him the best of luck. Albion legend.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I’m just sad that there hasn’t been a chance to say our goodbyes. I hope we can at least get him to come back for a half-time appearance at some point — perhaps during Germany's 'Winterpause'? The only obvious opportunity would be Arsenal at home on Jan 4th. Would be great to have him as a guest of the club for the day. Allow him to see the banner (which I’d happily contribute to).
Players still have some obligations during the German winter break. I doubt he’d want to fly to Brighton for a day or two.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I love a player like Pascal, and there don't seem to be a myriad of them, who continues to learn the pace of the game going on around them, and knowing when and how to act within it, to control it in pieces in amongst the mayhem. So intelligent as a player, and that feels rare, to the point where he is sort of irreplaceable and we have to change our system a little when hiring a body to fill his space.

Professor Plum

Jul 27, 2024
Players still have some obligations during the German winter break. I doubt he’d want to fly to Brighton for a day or two.
Sure, I dismissed the Boxing Day option for that reason. Jan 4 is really the only possibility. It's a weekend so he's probably not training then. But of course, if we invited him and he politely declined due to previous engagements, then so be it. Or maybe he just wouldn't want to do it -- Wasser under the bridge and all that. But we could at least consider asking. The alternative seems to just quietly forget him. We all appreciated RDZ getting Mac Allister to take a bow after the Liverpool game. It's a sort of 'closure' thing, for both sides. Anyway, just a thought.

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003
Being selected for Germany and making it to the Euros is a fitting end to his incredible career with us. I think he coasted a few of his last games so as to be sure he was fit for the Germany squad.
It'll be a very different Brighton team without him but he's certainly helped set the standard.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
It's not good business at all. It's terrible business. A player like Gross could easily have another 5 years in him.

But it's not about the money. Gross obviously feels the time is right - we could hardly deny him a move like this. It's a fantastic move for him.

Wish him the best of luck. Albion legend.
Yeh, Dortmund are very confident he has a few good years left in him.

But I agree, we couldn't block this. We're going in a different direction in terms of physicality

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Does anyone else think the club see the natural successor for Pascal as Buonanotte. He was featuring in centre mid in Japan

OK, he's nowhere near that level right now, but i'll guess he's much better than Pascal was at that age

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
My favourite Pascal moment by far is when he scored the 4th at Goodison. That goal for me highlighted his pure football intelligence and anticipation. Watch him carefully in this video from about 2:20

Points Mitoma to attack the man in possession whilst clearly knowing that will force a back pass that just wasn’t on. Calmly makes the run for the back pass, says thank you very much and goes on to produce the calmest of calm chipped finishes.

Absolutely beautiful :bowdown:

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Grates that Lallana got a staged exit fit for a hero and Pascal leaves without a murmer
Real shame that fans won’t get to give him the send-off he deserves. Maybe a pre-season game next year?

Last edited:

levs

Jul 10, 2017
My favourite Pascal moment by far is when he scored the 4th at Goodison. That goal for me highlighted his pure football intelligence and anticipation. Watch him carefully in this video from about 2:20

Points Mitoma to attack the man in possession whilst clearly knowing that will force a back pass that just wasn’t on. Calmly makes the run for the back pass, says thank you very much and goes on to produce the calmest of calm chipped finishes.

Love that goal, like you said great intelligence to read what the defender would do. Add to that the sight of one of our slowest players running away from their defence for a 1 v 1. A beautiful finish, then top it off Tarkowski gets clattered by Pickford and left in a heap on the ground. Poetry

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Does anyone else think the club see the natural successor for Pascal as Buonanotte. He was featuring in centre mid in Japan

OK, he's nowhere near that level right now, but i'll guess he's much better than Pascal was at that age

Maybe. If we're going to play with Wieffer/Baleba as the hybrid CB/CDM, Buonanotte seems perfect as one of the 2 advanced midfielders. As well as creating and scoring goals, he's quite tenacious

Gabbiano

Dec 18, 2017
Spank the Manc
Maybe. If we're going to play with Wieffer/Baleba as the hybrid CB/CDM, Buonanotte seems perfect as one of the 2 advanced midfielders. As well as creating and scoring goals, he's quite tenacious
There's just so much competition. Players by their preferred position, those in brackets more of a backup option.

Left wing - Mitoma, Adingra, Osman (Enciso, Sarmiento)

Right wing - March, Minteh, Cozier-Duberry (Adingra, Buonanotte)

Attacking midfield - Buonanotte, Enciso, Sarmiento (Gómez, Joao Pedro, Moran, Ayari)

Defensive midfield - Baleba, Wieffer, Milner, Hinshelwood, Yalcouye

Some of the fringe players listed may be loaned or sold. This also assumes the sale of Gross, Gilmour, Moder and Dahoud too. But we really have a lot of players.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
There's just so much competition. Players by their preferred position, those in brackets more of a backup option.

Attacking midfield - Buonanotte, Enciso, Sarmiento (Gómez, Joao Pedro, Moran, Ayari)

Some of the fringe players listed may be loaned or sold. This also assumes the sale of Gross, Gilmour, Moder and Dahoud too. But we really have a lot of players.
Looks great

That said we have way less (fit or approaching fit) cover at full back and up front

Han Solo

May 25, 2024

Yes, mentioned it a few times.. like here. Buonanotte is certainly the most Gross like player in the squad atm.

Sad to see Pascal go. Happy to see it seems to be Dortmund. 80k fans singing his name, he's not getting that anywhere else.

I'm guessing the succession calendar says Facundo Buonanotte, who will probably be a starter next season.

Shins

Aug 13, 2015

So good.

I want the Evan back between 1.40-50s.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London

Sarmiento was a sub in the championship. Moran and ayari also struggled at that level.

Defensive midfield looks scary at the moment. Apart from grandpa milner none of these players have proven themselves at this level and yalcouye has 11 appearances in the Swedish league to his name I would be shocked if hes in the squad.

Aside from this the defence doesn't look quite strong enough either.

I think our squad looks a bit unbalanced and is slightly worse than last season if gilly and gross leave.

I think midtable is a reasonable aim. Maybe sneak into top 10 if injuries aren't too bad.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here