Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Pascal Groß the raumdeuter - officially leaves for Dortmund :(

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
Sarmiento was a sub in the championship. Moran and ayari also struggled at that level.

Defensive midfield looks scary at the moment. Apart from grandpa milner none of these players have proven themselves at this level and yalcouye has 11 appearances in the Swedish league to his name I would be shocked if hes in the squad.

Aside from this the defence doesn't look quite strong enough either.

I think our squad looks a bit unbalanced and is slightly worse than last season if gilly and gross leave.

I think midtable is a reasonable aim. Maybe sneak into top 10 if injuries aren't too bad.

The area we have improved the most is DM. We've upgraded from Billy Gilmour to Wieffer.

Gabbiano

Dec 18, 2017
Spank the Manc
Sarmiento was a sub in the championship. Moran and ayari also struggled at that level.

Defensive midfield looks scary at the moment. Apart from grandpa milner none of these players have proven themselves at this level and yalcouye has 11 appearances in the Swedish league to his name I would be shocked if hes in the squad.

Aside from this the defence doesn't look quite strong enough either.

I think our squad looks a bit unbalanced and is slightly worse than last season if gilly and gross leave.

I think midtable is a reasonable aim. Maybe sneak into top 10 if injuries aren't too bad.
Sarmiento, Moran and Ayari are among those I would call fringe players who may or may not be sold/loaned. Buonanotte too if the Feyenoord links are to be believed.

Depends on whether Hurzeler wants them, whether Gomez comes in now and whether someone else like Gruda is s real target.

Discounting the likes of Wieffer as "unproven" and advocating buying more players (who will also be unproven) makes no sense to me.

The clear weak spot that remains is RWB and I think a new left footed CB would be wise too.

American Seagle

Jun 14, 2022
It's not good business at all. It's terrible business. A player like Gross could easily have another 5 years in him.

But it's not about the money. Gross obviously feels the time is right - we could hardly deny him a move like this. It's a fantastic move for him.

Wish him the best of luck. Albion legend.
This seems to be massively overlooked. He has at least 5 years left in him so we are not selling a player at the end of his carrer by any stretch of the imagination.
Plus he has huge potential as a future coach which we miss

Han Solo

May 25, 2024
This seems to be massively overlooked. He has at least 5 years left in him so we are not selling a player at the end of his carrer by any stretch of the imagination.
Troll

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
It's not good business at all. It's terrible business. A player like Gross could easily have another 5 years in him.

But it's not about the money. Gross obviously feels the time is right - we could hardly deny him a move like this. It's a fantastic move for him.

Wish him the best of luck. Albion legend.
If it’s so terrible, what would you do instead ?

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

I believe in Joe Hendry
Oct 4, 2003
He’s got 1 year left on his contract here, it doesn’t matter how many years he’s got left in the game he’ll walk at the end of the season for nothing.

We’ve offered him a new deal and he doesn’t want to sign it. So now it’s about making sure we get something out of his exit rather than keeping him for a year and him missing out on a dream move to finish his career at one of the biggest clubs in his home country.

Sometimes it is about doing the right thing for the player and this is one of those times, treat him as a human being rather than an asset.

He’s repaid his transfer fee a million times over with his on the pitch performances and helping to take us forward as a club. Getting a few million out of his exit is just the icing on the cake.

Last edited:

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
He’s got 1 year left on his contract here, it doesn’t matter how many years he’s got left in the game he’ll walk at the end of the season for nothing.

We’ve offered him a new deal and he doesn’t want to sign it. So now it’s about making sure we get something out of his exit rather than keeping him for a year and him missing out on a dream move to finish his career at one of the biggest clubs in his home country.

Sometimes it is about doing the right thing for the player and this is one of those times. He’s repaid his transfer fee a million times over with his on the pitch performances and helping to take us forward as a club. Getting a few million out of his exit is just the icing on the cake. This isn’t about profit it’s about treating the player a human being rather than an asset.
Agreed . . . He's given so much, we owe him if anything!

without him we'd possibly be playing Pompey or massive this season.

regardless of fees, either way, and wages, his contribution cannot be under estimated.

If he want's to go to Germany, I'd happily drive him myself. (and try not to cry)

SeagullsoverLondon

NSC Patron
Jun 20, 2021
Real shame that fans won’t get to give him the send-off he deserves. Maybe a pre-season game next year?
I've looked at Dortmund's schedule. It'll be tight for him to get to the Man U game (Dortmund kick off at 4:30pm UK time), but they play on Friday 13th in the evening, so possibly he could fly over Saturday morning and be guest of honour at the Ipswich game.
Hopefully, PB will try and arrange something for him (and the fans).
He needs a proper send off one way or another.

Mustafa II

Oct 14, 2022
Hove
If it’s so terrible, what would you do instead ?

I would do exactly what the club has done.

Terrible business is fine, when it comes to honouring a true club legends desire to play for one of the biggest clubs in the world, from his own country.

We could have held out for £10m+, or not sold him at all... but what kind of a message would that give to players who could go on to serve the club like he has?

Mad as my Mother

May 21, 2013
Dorset
I would do exactly what the club has done.

Terrible business is fine, when it comes to honouring a true club legends desire to play for one of the biggest clubs in the world, from his own country.

We could have held out for £10m+, or not sold him at all... but what kind of a message would that give to players who could go on to serve the club like he has?
So, a good bit of business is what you are saying.

Mustafa II

Oct 14, 2022
Hove
So good business.

Not in the context of the original comment, where they were suggesting the money paid for Gross was good because of his age, which it isn't.

If you are to be pedantic, then yes, selling loyal players at discount prices, as the club does, is not immediately good financially... but it could pay for itself over time as the culture gets recognised and we become even more appealing to top young talent, as well as our current stock of players... so it could be regarded as good business in that respect, as a kind of investment... but that's taking the discussion completely out of context.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Not in the context of the original comment, where they were suggesting the money paid for Gross was good because of his age, which it isn't.

If you are to be pedantic, then yes, selling loyal players at discount prices, as the club does, is not immediately good financially... but it could pay for itself over time as the culture gets recognised and we become even more appealing to top young talent, as well as our current stock of players... so it could be regarded as good business in that respect, as a kind of investment... but that's taking the discussion completely out of context.
Price is fine for a player in the last year of his contract, who is worth nothing on the books, anyway. You have to look at every aspect of the deal to say whether it’s good business or not.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Price is fine for a player in the last year of his contract, who is worth nothing on the books, anyway. You have to look at every aspect of the deal to say whether it’s good business or not.
This

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
What's a 'carrer'?

It's the little details that reveal so much.....

Han Solo

May 25, 2024
Erm...how exactly?
Because everything you say is irrelevant.

He probably doesn't have "at least five years left" - he's 33. But even if he did, he wants to move home, so he wouldn't have stayed for five years. Same goes with the "future coach" thing.

Can't force the guy to stay in England, and giving him the move he wants and deserves while getting a decent fee (considering age and contract) can never be a bad deal. He deserves the best.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here