Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Palyer Ratings Port Vale

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
right - lets do this properly

Kuipers 7 - ok could've and should've saved that second goal other then that he really didn't have that bad a game in comparison to others , stood no chance with the other two really (the third was well taken the first one of the defenders should've had it)

Whing 6- never really shone but a few tackles when needed
Lynch 6- see Whing
Elphick 7 - a fighter and my choice for player of the season but wasn't his best game but better then the rest of the defence for me
Mayo 5 - unfair to use him as a scapegoat considering theres no one ready to play that position well at the moment but one side of a weak link
Racoon 6- i'm still not 100% sure what he's supposed to be bringing to the squad , he's got a Dean Hammond way of playing but without the battling?
Westlake 6- pretty quiet all game really , obvious choice to be substituted
Thompson 6 - again quite quiet and again not sure still what there is to his game that Wilkins has seen but we haven't
Cox 8 - the only player to play his heart out from the start of the game to the finish , attacking , battling, playing attacking set pieces - positivity when there was none

Murray 6.5 - still not got over his lack of confidence so i'm not sure what it'll take for it to happen but he still has the want for it even if his want to take on and win the ball has gone AWOL
Forster 5 - Invisible man mode again .. last player i saw of his calibre overall was Leon Knight and we can't afford that sort've player anymore - the blokes got talent but doesn't want to lead with it!

barney

Jul 31, 2006

Kuipers 7 - ok could've and should've saved that second goal other then that he really didn't have that bad a game in comparison to others , stood no chance with the other two really (the third was well taken the first one of the defenders should've had it)

Lynch 6- see Whing
Elphick 7 - a fighter and my choice for player of the season but wasn't his best game but better then the rest of the defence for me
Mayo 5 - unfair to use him as a scapegoat considering theres no one ready to play that position well at the moment but one side of a weak link
Racoon 6- i'm still not 100% sure what he's supposed to be bringing to the squad , he's got a Dean Hammond way of playing but without the battling?
Thompson 6 - again quite quiet and again not sure still what there is to his game that Wilkins has seen but we haven't
Cox 8 - the only player to play his heart out from the start of the game to the finish , attacking , battling, playing attacking set pieces - positivity when there was none

Murray 6.5 - still not got over his lack of confidence so i'm not sure what it'll take for it to happen but he still has the want for it even if his want to take on and win the ball has gone AWOL
Forster 5 - Invisible man mode again .. last player i saw of his calibre overall was Leon Knight and we can't afford that sort've player anymore - the blokes got talent but doesn't want to lead with it!

why are you giving such generous ratings to players who had no effect on a game where we got outplayed by the worst team in the league?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Overall the performance and match was very like the Stoke game 2 years back, and its only by luck that the scoreline wasn't similar too.

I am genuinely gobsmacked by the whole thing. Absolutely incredible.

We defended like spastics, had no midfield of note, and snatched at all our chances. Murray's getting a slating, but both forster and cox are more culpable for the defeat.

Taxi

Jul 10, 2003
Littlehampton
Seems like all are January signings have been very poor. McFaul and Dixon can't get in the squad, Thomson has made no impact and Murray looks like he would rather still be at Rochdale!

Spider

Sep 15, 2007
Wow. Where to start?! It's very tempting to just give them all 1s, but I'll try and be as fair as I can!

Kuipers - 6 - Not to blame for goals, not great kicking

Mayo - 5 - Probably our strongest defender but added nothing going forwards and wasn't exactly solid
Lynch - 3 - Made Port Vale's forwards look like Brazil
Elphick - 4 - Some decent tackles but both centre backs were caught out time and time again. Every single Vale set piece was won by their players.
Whing - 2 - Abysmal from start to finish. Bring back Hart!

Westlake - 6 - One of our better players. Looked decent at first but faded out quickly. Not sure why he was taken off though.
Racon - 2 - Is this really the same player we were raving about? Lost the ball so many times and generally contributed nothing.
Thomson - 3 - Generally non-existant, the idea of him captaining a Scottish Premier League team based on this performance is a joke.
Cox - 6 - Scored one, should have scored another, probably our best player. corners were shocking though.

Forster - 4 - Worst performance I've ever seen from him - didn't win anything and didn't even look his normal busy self.
Murray - 4 - He must be either carrying and injury or just a disgracefully lazy player. So slow and with an air of indifference throughout. At least he scored.

Our Goal Frame - 10 - MOM performance with countless brave blocks

Overall the players should be ashamed of themselves today. If Cox had scored his chance it would probably have been a different game, but after that we barely managed to pass it out of our own half until about 75 minutes. Our defence was really really shocking, Vale won every set piece and could have scored about 6. I was actually embarrassed today when they kept hitting the woodwork, and you have to give them so much credit for not only being by far the better team, but also for their positive attitude. They could have sat back and defended their lead but they played with style throughout.

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach
I thought only Elphick and Cox (apart from corners) looked like they wanted to play. Particularly bad were Lynch, Racon and Thomson.

The worst however by some distance was Murray. Lazy, disinterested and workshy.

Last edited:

Conkers

Jan 11, 2006
Haywards Heath
The only players to come out with a shred of dignity were Cox and Elphick. Yes, yes we can all say "let's give Murray time" but he was piss poor today. Scoring a goal doesn't automatically mean we should defend the other 92 minutes he was shocking in the game.
Cox was the best player by a mile and deserved the MoM award, even though he did miss a great opportunity at the start of the 2nd half.
Thomson was almost non existant. Only really realised he was playing when he wandered over towards the H block for a throw in.

Wilkins - Leaves it too late with his substitutions to make any sort of impact on the game. We were 2-1 down, make some sort of positive change please!!! Although admittedly I was pleasantly surprised when "straight swap" Wilkins brought on Gatting for Thomson (I think).

Fans - Far too many part-timers in the South stand today. They give you funny looks when you try to get a chant going. JOIN IN FFS, it's not going to kill you!

Port Vale should have won by a country mile if it weren't for the woodwork 4 times.

Only positive from today is the £50 I won on the National.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Isn't this the sort of post you usually criticise? Watch out or you'll be labelled hypocritical for simply realising shit when you see it. For what it's worth though, you're spot on.

How can he be spot on for saying that saying that Forster and Cox were more culpable than Murray, given that you gave Murray 1 and Cox 7 (and Forster 5).

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
Kuipers 4
Whing 3
Lynch 4
Elphich 4
Mayo 3
Racoon 2
Westlake 4
Thompson 3
Cox 3
Murray 4
Forester 4

Pathetic performence. They looked like they were trying to lose. They were all so lathargic, it was so frustrating. And Wilkins, why the f*** take off Racon and bring on Fraser? Were 2-1 down and desperately looking for some inspiration, bring on a f***ing striker!

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
We defended like spastics,

dont think there is a better summing up than that

we were extremely lucky we didnt lost by 4 or 5 - thank god for the woodwork, easily our man of the match

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield

Lynch 6- see Whing

6 for Racon:thud::thud:

Kuipers 7!!!! Stood no chance for the third?? Not f***ing surprised, he set it up for them!

bright1064

Dec 21, 2007
Brighton
Kuipers - 5 - Made one good save, but got lobbed again

Mayo - 5 - I thought he played ok, average performance
Lynch - 3 - Very poor
Elphick - 4 - Made a few important tackles, but poor by his standards
Whing - 3 - Usually solid, today rubbish

Westlake - 5 - Way too quiet for a player of his standard
Racon - 2 - I don't care what people say, he was shite today.
Thomson - 2 - See above..
Cox - 7 - Best player today

Forster - 4 - Out of the game today
Murray - 3 - Only reason he gets a three is because he scored, other than that he was shocking

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here