Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Palace to Brighton REMF fundraising bike ride idea.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
I think you're being very generous with the times.
That's not just me saying that cos I'm a 'geek', the L2B average is quicker and you can't pedal for some.

Plus 6am kick off, it will still be dark.

It is essentially down hill, (until Ditchling).
The average speed should comfortably be double figures.

For reference the Gillingham ride will have been much harder.

10 mph would make it just under five hours SB. 12mph should be achievable by most but you are only as fast as your slowest person in situations like this, and you know full well someone will turn up on a full suspension Apollo from Halfords :lolol:

Doesn't make sense to go over the Beacon, really, going through Lewes is a better route. I would suggest this:

Selhurst To Falmer via A22 and Lewes

Would need to be a really early start though 6 am allows for a five hour ride and an hour spare before the match. The sun will not even be up at the start, not until 7:05 to be precise.

I tend to agree with you about The Beacon. I don't want to put people off !

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Ah, ok. So what time would say someone of average fitness (uses a bike to commute for example) could do it in ?

Four hours (serious cyclists could probably do it in three) would be about right I think but as I said above it depends on what people are riding. It may be worth making it clear what type of bike people need to be using, as whilst you do not want to put people off it really makes an incredible difference. If you have enough people interested you could have two groups, I know personally that I would be happy to do it leaving Selhurst at 8:00 with other cycling geeks looking at an average speed of 18mph. In a group riding 12-14 mph I would be less interested, yes I understand it is all for charity but it still does need to be enjoyable.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
To clarify I am not saying that everyone needs to have a proper racing bike, but at the very least slick tyres and no/lock out-able suspension on their bikes.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
[MENTION=435]Stat Brother[/MENTION]

With my route we could always take a slight diversion via this beauty:

BurgessHillRumble028_000.jpg

You know you want to :lolol:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'd like to do it but don't have a great bike nor can afford one - maybe two groups?
I would suggest for a one hit wonder like this, the quality of the bike quantity of gears etc is secondary.
If your bike is in good working order, preferably doesn't have suspension, and most importantly you have to thinnest slickest tyres, it will be fine.
So you'll be looking to outlay £40 on tyres max, plus a service if needed.

The fella's who did the Gillingham run will probably vouch for that.

Falkor

Banned
Jun 3, 2011
With large numbers will bring problems, I ran a charity bike ride for a few years now stopped due to red tape, so we do a charity bowls event.

If your going to do it council would need to be informed aswell as police, esp I would think if your doing it in the name of a well established charity, a charity won't want linked to it an accident when procedures have not been correctly followed.

It really would depend on your numbers taking part.

With large numbers will bring problems, I ran a charity bike ride for a few years now stopped due to red tape, so we do a charity bowls event.

If your going to do it council would need to be informed aswell as police, esp I would think if your doing it in the name of a well established charity, a charity won't want linked to it an accident when procedures have not been correctly followed.

It really would depend on your numbers taking part.

I withdraw from the event.

I am NOT riding a set of bowls that swerve one way from Croydon to Brighton.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Where is this?? I'd love to have a go on it haha :lolol:
Cobb Lane.
I have no idea where, even though I've ridden it 3 times.
I think it's somewhere Ardingly way.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here