Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Palace to Brighton REMF fundraising bike ride idea.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Ah, ok. So what time would say someone of average fitness (uses a bike to commute for example) could do it in ?
The thing with the route, is it similar to L2B.
Plenty of NSC'ers have ridden that I doubt that many have said 'that was harder than I thought'.
Irrespective of the massive achievement that riding 50+ miles is.

I guess the bit I hadn't considered was the jeopardy of a very important time constraint, that being the game, and allowing for every eventuality.
So early start it is.

When I get time I'll plot Pantani's route onto a gradient/profile map, which should explain what I mean.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Can I throw a spanner in the works here and respectfully suggest that, similar to last year's 'Bike to the Future', this ride is done the day BEFORE the Palace game?

You're asking for a VERY early start, there's no guarantee you'll make kick-off, and if you do, you'll be cycling through thousands of supporters, many of whom won't give a toss about the bike ride - and you'd have to secure the bikes in the middle of that maelstrom. The logistics of the timings just seem so tight.

Plus you're not going to be popular with whoever you sit next to at the game.

Was not Was

Loitering with intent
Jul 31, 2003
I did recently suggest that the club might want to bring out a range of Albion cycling tops, but they weren't keen on the idea.

Interesting. But there may be quite a small market for it from the club's point of view.

Personally, I've occasionally thought, while out riding, that I'd like to have an Albion cycling top. Plenty of people go out riding who aren't club riders, so might feel the same.

I wonder if we could do a 'club jersey' through NSC. There are companies who do this sort of thing. I've just had a look at http://www.owayo.com, who let you design a shirt using their template. With no skill and little time, I came up with this. All due apologies to [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] for using the NSC logo:

NSC cycle shirt.jpg

Others could do a lot better. Looks like the cost would be a bit under £50 per shirt if ordering 10+. Anyone interested in doing this properly?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Barca have a long history with cycling jerseys :-

images

I'd kill for an Albion one.

Can I throw a spanner in the works here and respectfully suggest that, similar to last year's 'Bike to the Future', this ride is done the day BEFORE the Palace game?

You're asking for a VERY early start, there's no guarantee you'll make kick-off, and if you do, you'll be cycling through thousands of supporters, many of whom won't give a toss about the bike ride - and you'd have to secure the bikes in the middle of that maelstrom. The logistics of the timings just seem so tight.

Plus you're not going to be popular with whoever you sit next to at the game.

I'm starting to think along those lines TLO. I think it opens it out to non speed merchants as well.

StillHateBellotti

Jun 17, 2011
Eastbourne
There is a london to brighton night ride. Why not start at midnight or later 0200hrs. Im sure the people ITK at selhurst may help with bike storage etc. Gives people more than enough time, end at the sports centre next to ground im sure they will allow all involved to leave bikes and possibly have a shower if organised in advance. Im sure Dicks would open for an early breakfast or again the gym next to stadium if enough involved for pre match beers.

Does not need to be over complicated. everyone organise own sponsorship, set a minimum and go heavy on disclaimers

it is not a race
enter at own risk
responsible for safety / suitability of own bike
responsible for your own fitness level.

Im sitting next to the event planners at Westminster City council so will have a word with them for advice.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
There is a london to brighton night ride. Why not start at midnight or later 0200hrs. Im sure the people ITK at selhurst may help with bike storage etc. Gives people more than enough time, end at the sports centre next to ground im sure they will allow all involved to leave bikes and possibly have a shower if organised in advance. Im sure Dicks would open for an early breakfast or again the gym next to stadium if enough involved for pre match beers.

Does not need to be over complicated. everyone organise own sponsorship, set a minimum and go heavy on disclaimers

it is not a race
enter at own risk
responsible for safety / suitability of own bike
responsible for your own fitness level.

Im sitting next to the event planners at Westminster City council so will have a word with them for advice.

Everyone would need to buy some serious lights to do this, bare minimum £100 for lights good enough to ride on unlit roads, a non starter for most unfortunately.

StillHateBellotti

Jun 17, 2011
Eastbourne
Everyone would need to buy some serious lights to do this, bare minimum £100 for lights good enough to ride on unlit roads, a non starter for most unfortunately.

Im sure most bike owners own decent lights and have riden a bike in the dark. By law you are supposed to have lights! I for one would feel safer on a quieter dark road with bright lights than on a busy road in day light! Only an opinion. Could find a use for the glowsticks from the glowstick thread mind?

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Im sure most bike owners own decent lights and have riden a bike in the dark. By law you are supposed to have lights! I for one would feel safer on a quieter dark road with bright lights than on a busy road in day light! Only an opinion. Could find a use for the glowsticks from the glowstick thread mind?

Most bike lights are designed so that cars can see you, not so you can see where you are going. You would need something like this as a minimum to ride on country roads at night. I own decent lights for riding in town but nothing that I would consider safe away from lit city streets.

StillHateBellotti

Jun 17, 2011
Eastbourne
Man so you are telling me you would not be able to see the road!

British Heart Foundation. First ever London to Brighton Night Ride 2012. Over 4,700 cyclists set off from London's Clapham Common on Saturday 26 May in the dark and rode 60 miles through starlit lanes reaching Brighton seafront for sunrise.

looking at the pictures most only have basic bike light! no halogen bulbs hanging off cycle hats?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

British Heart Foundation. First ever London to Brighton Night Ride 2012. Over 4,700 cyclists set off from London's Clapham Common on Saturday 26 May in the dark and rode 60 miles through starlit lanes reaching Brighton seafront for sunrise.

looking at the pictures most only have basic bike light! no halogen bulbs hanging off cycle hats?
The point is 4,700 people.

I for one certainly wouldn't undertake such a ride without being lit up like the Bishop Rock Lighthouse.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Old, overweight, unfit and no bike, but would at least like to have a crack at it.

Anyway, enough about me, yes I'd be up for this.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Interesting. But there may be quite a small market for it from the club's point of view.

Personally, I've occasionally thought, while out riding, that I'd like to have an Albion cycling top. Plenty of people go out riding who aren't club riders, so might feel the same.

I wonder if we could do a 'club jersey' through NSC. There are companies who do this sort of thing. I've just had a look at http://www.owayo.com, who let you design a shirt using their template. With no skill and little time, I came up with this. All due apologies to [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] for using the NSC logo:

View attachment 34489

Others could do a lot better. Looks like the cost would be a bit under £50 per shirt if ordering 10+. Anyone interested in doing this properly?

Me ... in a lycra cycling top, seriously. It would be like Vicky Pollard in a Bikini!

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
StillHateBellotti;517091 8 said:

Really? Most on this video have lights like I suggested.

I don't think you understand how dark it is on country lanes at night, you can't see anything unless the moon is out.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Not forgetting the 'game' of driving at cyclists in broad daylight.
Making it easy for people to do it at night is boardering on suicide.

Was not Was

Loitering with intent
Jul 31, 2003

Given the appalling state (and amount) of facilities for cyclists in the City of Westminster, I wouldn't bother.

Craig4004

Aug 30, 2011
Peacehaven
Keep the ideas and thoughts comming and keep letting me know if you want to do it. Like I said at this point it's about exactly that.

This. But I'm well up for it whatever the time/ date. Was gonna do the London-Brighton just for something to train for. Doing it for REMF and from Shitehurst to the Amex seems better. I'm in!

StillHateBellotti

Jun 17, 2011
Eastbourne
Really? Most on this video have lights like I suggested.

I don't think you understand how dark it is on country lanes at night, you can't see anything unless the moon is out.

I more than understand how dark it can get on a country lane at night! as said they look to be planning going off in groups and hopefully they would stay in groups.

I looked at photographs not a video and the lights seemed what I would class as a normal bike light. Admittedly there were some brighter ones amongst them.

Maybe some of the NSC cyclists could be propping up the back of riders. Its only suggestions.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here