Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Palace still have over 3k unsold tickets for saturday despite........

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
I'm sure they will reach 21,000 or so after a bit of a struggle, but all this really demonstrates is that Palace need a new ground. Back in the 70s and 80s, people would put up with shit facilities mainly because they were able to stand and also because they were paying £5 to get in. Nowadays, the cost of football is treble what it was (in real terms).

The same hardcore support that used to put up with shit facilities will still go, but there are a fair proportion of punters who are more discerning about where to spend their cash when a family day at the football is now at least £70. So let them chuckle at our emptying stands on 87 mins, or the Liverpool/Chelsea "fans" who are now watching the Albion as season ticket holders but the fact is, our set up is far superior to theirs. In the past two seasons, Palace v Millwall has attracted 15,000, 16,000 and Palace v Brighton has attracted 17,000 and now maybe 21,000. These are pitiful gates for their biggest games. I suppose they might get similar for Charlton for the Nigel v Norman derby, but only if they give the Normans more than the feeble 2,600 we've been allocated.

Very true. And, to be fair to Palace, if they had a ground like ours with the same setup they would be selling out for this game. Personally, I hope they get one.

SE25

Banned
Feb 19, 2005
Oh South London...
There are 228 left in the Main stand, 32 in the Family Stand and 2 in the Lower Tier of the Holmesdale.

Del Fenner

Because of Boxing Day
Sep 5, 2011
An Away Terrace
I'm sure they will reach 21,000 or so after a bit of a struggle, but all this really demonstrates is that Palace need a new ground. Back in the 70s and 80s, people would put up with shit facilities mainly because they were able to stand and also because they were paying £5 to get in. Nowadays, the cost of football is treble what it was (in real terms).

The same hardcore support that used to put up with shit facilities will still go, but there are a fair proportion of punters who are more discerning about where to spend their cash when a family day at the football is now at least £70. So let them chuckle at our emptying stands on 87 mins, or the Liverpool/Chelsea "fans" who are now watching the Albion as season ticket holders but the fact is, our set up is far superior to theirs. In the past two seasons, Palace v Millwall has attracted 15,000, 16,000 and Palace v Brighton has attracted 17,000 and now maybe 21,000. These are pitiful gates for their biggest games. I suppose they might get similar for Charlton for the Nigel v Norman derby, but only if they give the Normans more than the feeble 2,600 we've been allocated.

Good post.

The problem with away allocations over 2,600 is that we have to pay an outrageous amount for policing costs that simply do not add up against increased revenue. Fair play to Brighton, but you are in an untypically good position financially at the moment, and need to plan effectively for the long-term.

May 27, 2011
For months I have refrained from responding to the numberous threads from The Major (Phallus on the BBS it would seem) about attendances, but the sheer lack of sense or any reason in most of his posts has finally compelled me to enter the mire.

BHA should be proud of their increased attendances and new stadium, of course. I visited the Amex for your first ever league defeat last season and was very impressed, having been to both the Withdean and Goldstone in the past. But, is it really any surprise you are filling 25k plus a week when there isn't another professional football club within, what, another 50 miles?

Palace are averaging a little over 15,000 in a ground which most of us acknowledge is a tip and which sits within ten miles of about another ten clubs, many in the top flight. It's absurd to continually brag your attendances are higher, given the circumstances and geographical areas both clubs are operating in, especially given the lack of alternatives near the South Coast (unless your willing to travel all the way to Fratton or St Mary's.)

I would actually argue our crowds have been comparable to teams like Birmingham and Middlesborough, both "big club" teams which suffer less competition. and in fact in the grand scheme of things I dont think they have held up too badly.

When Palace do finally redevelop Selhurst (which despite delays is going to happen, once an agreement with Sainsburys over part of the funding is finalised) I'm sure our crowds will leap up a few thousand.

But if both teams remain in the Championship I certainly have no doubt our crowds will still lag behind Brighton's. However, anyone with a modicum of common sense would understand the factors which make it this way.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
BHA should be proud of their increased attendances and new stadium, of course. I visited the Amex for your first ever league defeat last season and was very impressed, having been to both the Withdean and Goldstone in the past. But, is it really any surprise you are filling 25k plus a week when there isn't another professional football club within, what, another 50 miles?
Given that the Palace posters on here said we'd only get 12k in the first season, and then after we sold out they said that it'd drop back down after the first season, then I guess it is a surprise to you.

Palace are averaging a little over 15,000 in a ground which most of us acknowledge is a tip and which sits within ten miles of about another ten clubs, many in the top flight.
Your attendance are up on last year because you've been top of the league and playing your best football in years, and there have also been some good cheap deals on. You are close to some other clubs, but as the Palace posters here keep pointing out, there are millions of fans in London and you have a massive catchment.

It's absurd to continually brag your attendances are higher, given the circumstances and geographical areas both clubs are operating in, especially given the lack of alternatives near the South Coast
This isn't a one sided discussion, Palace posters come here and go on about our crowds at Withdean. You can quote them and point how absurd they are if you like. As for this thread - it was a bit of a surprise you didn't sell more tickets for this fixture last year.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
For months I have refrained from responding to the numberous threads from The Major (Phallus on the BBS it would seem) about attendances, but the sheer lack of sense or any reason in most of his posts has finally compelled me to enter the mire.

Crawley is just over 20 miles up the A23; Crystal Palace - yes that's your lot - is 45 miles. Surprised at your lack of knowledge considering you came to the Amex last year.

But yes, you're right; there is very little competition for support in Sussex, and I can't see Crawley maintaining their position in the long term. This is the reason why the future is so bright for Brighton and why we'll continue to get good crowds in our fantastic stadium.

churley1

Oct 13, 2009
Bogota
Withdean's capacity was stated as 8850 on Wikipedia. Hard to see that we only sold 1850 tickets for the game with your lot. Maths is not really your strong point is it?

Yep. you're right I was wrong. The attendance that day was a mighty 7,276. I know the capacity wasn't 8850 but there were plenty of empty seats in the home end.

You can all harp on about how your attendances are much better now and credit for that, but there are some serious double standards on here.

Apparently we have the worst stadium in the division (your fans words, not ours) yet we're expected to sell 21,000 tickets to play one of our rivals, would you be doing the same in the circumstances? Absolutely not.

There will be over 20,000 on Saturday and that is the same as at Falmer last season, I genuinely don't see what the problem is. If the tickets are sold 2 weeks before or 2 days before it is exactly the same.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
I think we have to remember when the Withdean was expanded to circa 9,000 a lot of times we failed to filled it.

To give Palace their due their support has held up quite well, many will remember we spent years at the Goldstone in the 90's failing to clear 10,000.

Disappointing this derby is not sold out all the same

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
There will be over 20,000 on Saturday and that is the same as at Falmer last season, I genuinely don't see what the problem is. If the tickets are sold 2 weeks before or 2 days before it is exactly the same.
The only problems are: a) the absurd size of the buffer areas which will do a great job in curtailing the atmosphere inside the ground and b) the ticket prices for some of the poorest facilities in the league.

I'm genuinely glad I'm not going if it turns out I can find a live stream (although if we win I'll probably wish I'd gone).

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009

Palace are averaging a little over 15,000 in a ground which most of us acknowledge is a tip and which sits within ten miles of about another ten clubs, many in the top flight. It's absurd to continually brag your attendances are higher, given the circumstances and geographical areas both clubs are operating in, especially given the lack of alternatives near the South Coast (unless your willing to travel all the way to Fratton or St Mary's.)

I would actually argue our crowds have been comparable to teams like Birmingham and Middlesborough, both "big club" teams which suffer less competition. and in fact in the grand scheme of things I dont think they have held up too badly.

When Palace do finally redevelop Selhurst (which despite delays is going to happen, once an agreement with Sainsburys over part of the funding is finalised) I'm sure our crowds will leap up a few thousand.

But if both teams remain in the Championship I certainly have no doubt our crowds will still lag behind Brighton's. However, anyone with a modicum of common sense would understand the factors which make it this way.

London pop is 8m, B&H pop is 250k, so 800k each for all of your 'ten teams' is 3 times as many as us. Conclusion, on a like for like basis, Palace should be trotting out in front of 75k every fortnight

May 27, 2011
The only problems are: a) the absurd size of the buffer areas which will do a great job in curtailing the atmosphere inside the ground and b) the ticket prices for some of the poorest facilities in the league.

I'm genuinely glad I'm not going if it turns out I can find a live stream (although if we win I'll probably wish I'd gone).

The buffer is ridiculous. Two entire blocks. The problem is not just the police, who were the ones to enforce the minimum allocation of 10 per cent, but that fact that stand is so antiquated it's difficult to enforce segregation in the concourses, because of a lack of toilets and so on.

Only by tearing down most the ground will things improve, but I still think rebuilding is at least two to three seasons away.

May 27, 2011
I think we have to remember when the Withdean was expanded to circa 9,000 a lot of times we failed to filled it.

To give Palace their due their support has held up quite well, many will remember we spent years at the Goldstone in the 90's failing to clear 10,000.

Disappointing this derby is not sold out all the same

A voice of reason. And yes you're right empty seats are disappointing for all, especially bearing in mind the ticket restrictions for your lot

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Apparently we have the worst stadium in the division (your fans words, not ours) yet we're expected to sell 21,000 tickets to play one of our rivals, would you be doing the same in the circumstances? Absolutely not.
Of course we would you numpty.
There will be over 20,000 on Saturday and that is the same as at Falmer last season
There were more at Falmer last season, it was a sell out. Bear in mind we reported the number that turned up, rather than the tickets sold/given away.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here