Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Palace sign Spain U20's Captain

The Rock says...

Jul 19, 2013
Inevitably life under FFP will make us leaner and meaner and have to live within the rules, making shrewd transfer dealings even more of a necessity.
That will take away most Championship clubs option of buying their way into the Prem, unless they have parachute payments.

The promoted Clubs may appear to be minted on paper but will still have to be prudent because they will now have spiralling wage bills spurred on by players agents demanding Prem level rewards. Plus prospective signings will know there is more money to be had. However that Prem money is finite and will rapidly diminish especially if outgoings cannot be offset by gate income and by selling their best players etc. The cost of servicing the operating costs of any stadium and Prem level training complex are significant so there are other drains on the funds. Often they are 'asset poor' and don't own their stadium or cannot unlock funding because there are other constraints.

I would suggest that many lesser Prem clubs are not self sufficient and only exist courtesy of the TV money and / or billionaire owners, and not because they are viable businesses. In effect they have an artificial existence bought on someone's else's money, a sort of financial life support machine and if that someone unexpectedly pulls the plug then it will all be over. There must be some interesting business plans out there with sums that do not add up.

OK it may be harder for us to get to the Prem under FFP but may do us a big favour it the short/medium term by making it happen without breaking the bank. We have a CEO who is focused on reining in debts and bringing us closer to financial equilibrium. It won't be easy but must help knowing we have a state of the art stadium, very decent crowds, a blue chip sponsor and an owner who has delivered on all of his promises, is in it for the long haul and won't disappear overnight.

Good post.

Footsoldier

Banned
May 26, 2013

The Rock says...

Jul 19, 2013
How deluded can one get. He's not going to turn round and say - Palace have been well and truly mugged by paying us £6 million that will rise to £8.5 m is he.

The fact is if he is good then you'd have not got him. Man Utd, Chelsea, Arsenal would have snapped him up.

Why would he talk up a player he has just sold to us unless he meant it? I could understand him doing that if he was trying to sell him to us but that isn't the case, he said those comments afterwards. Fair play to the bloke.

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
I'd imagine so. This is what the P'boro chairman had to say of Gayle once he was sold to us.

http://www.talksport.co.uk/sports-n...-dwight-gayle-tipped-earn-england-call-200987

Watched him play against us in April up there in Peterborough and was truly un impressed. He looked like a 12 year old and so lightweight that our very slow combination of Greer and Upson had him in their back pockets. If he struggled to show against them two he will seriously struggle to make any impact in the Premiership. I really do think Peterborough have pulled off a better mugging than they did with CMS.

The Rock says...

Jul 19, 2013
Watched him play against us in April up there in Peterborough and was truly un impressed. He looked like a 12 year old and so lightweight that our very slow combination of Greer and Upson had him in their back pockets. If he struggled to show against them two he will seriously struggle to make any impact in the Premiership. I really do think Peterborough have pulled off a better mugging than they did with CMS.

The fact that you are basing your opinion of him from just ONE game shows you can't be taken serious. I saw Messi have a shocker vs Bayern Munich this season, does that make him a bad player?

Footsoldier

Banned
May 26, 2013
Why would he talk up a player he has just sold to us unless he meant it? I could understand him doing that if he was trying to sell him to us but that isn't the case, he said those comments afterwards. Fair play to the bloke.

Maybe he has other players he'd like to sell you. Answer this question.

If this 22 year old is good and is the next big thing in English football then why haven't the big 6 clubs come in for him? Do you think Palace have are that smart (stupid) that they think they have got the bargain of the century and think that this bloke has gone unnoticed?

You say 12 other clubs were interested in him but these clubs didn't make an offer as they must be in the championship and thought that the asking price was taking the piss because if this bloke is that good then the top 6 wouldn't hesitate in spunking £6 million on him and if he is shit then the clubs would just let him rot in the reserves until some mug pays what you did for him.

The Rock says...

Jul 19, 2013
Maybe he has other players he'd like to sell you. Answer this question.

If this 22 year old is good and is the next big thing in English football then why haven't the big 6 clubs come in for him? Do you think Palace have are that smart (stupid) that they think they have got the bargain of the century and think that this bloke has gone unnoticed?

You say 12 other clubs were interested in him but these clubs didn't make an offer as they must be in the championship and thought that the asking price was taking the piss because if this bloke is that good then the top 6 wouldn't hesitate in spunking £6 million on him and if he is shit then the clubs would just let him rot in the reserves until some mug pays pay what you did for him.

A top 6 club obviously has bigger fish to fry and wants immediate success. Chelsea have made it clear they want Rooney. Look at teams like Man City, they are spending £22 million on 1 player. Gayle isn't at this level but he has the potential with time.

Teams like Villa and Fulham were after him but they can't offer first team football like we can, they already have established strikers like Beneteke, Berbatov. We also have the benefit of him being able to live in London which is a big draw to many.

Footsoldier

Banned
May 26, 2013
A top 6 club obviously has bigger fish to fry and wants immediate success. Chelsea have made it clear they want Rooney. Look at teams like Man City, they are spending £22 million on 1 player. Gayle isn't at this level but he has the potential with time.

Teams like Villa and Fulham were after him but they can't offer first team football like we can, they already have established strikers like Beneteke, Berbatov. We also have the benefit of him being able to live in London which is a big draw to many.

Eh you what? The Peterborough chairman said he could be worth £20 million in a few years time. So big clubs will just wave away £6 million knowing this bloke will be wroth £20 million in a couple of seasons time. Yeah righto.

The Rock says...

Jul 19, 2013
But it's enough for you write off Ulloa. Double standards as per usual.

I have seen Ulloa on more than 1 occasion plus plenty of highlights. Anyway, I've hardly wrote the bloke off, I just said he's pretty unlikely to replicate Muzza's season from last year, as most other striker in the Championship would find hard to do!

The Rock says...

Jul 19, 2013
Eh you what? The Peterborough chairman said he could be worth £20 million in a few years time. So big clubs will just wave away £6 million knowing this bloke will be wroth £20 million in a couple of seasons time. Yeah righto.

12 clubs wanted him. Says it all.

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
Not many to be honest. As I linked, I was quoting what the P'boro chairman thinks of him.

Thats funny as the same chairman raved over CMS but your fans think he is useless.
Now was he talking up Gayle the same as he did CMS, or is it a case he signed for Palace so he must be better than CMS.
But the piss take's you nigels have posted about the £3 mill we paid for him and how we were mugged, looks like you could have paid a much higher price with likely the same outcome.

Footsoldier

Banned
May 26, 2013
I have seen Ulloa on more than 1 occasion plus plenty of highlights. Anyway, I've hardly wrote the bloke off, I just said he's pretty unlikely to replicate Muzza's season from last year, as most other striker in the Championship would find hard to do!

So you haven't even bothered to watch this bloody amazing signing of yours but watch our players, bloody sad that is and if Ulloa takes all penalty s then he'll get 20 and if we get as many penaltys as you cheating vermin then he'll get 40 goals.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here