Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Palace Rivalry

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Just found this. A Charlton fan is not happy about being liked;

FRANKIE SAYS....

Thursday 20th October 2005

Classic quote from the current manager at Crystal Palace, some fella named Dowie, after his side had been mauled to death by Brighton on Tuesday at the Dennis-in-the-Last-Minute Stadium in Croydon. This is what he had to say:

"There was not enough passion on the pitch. It didn't look like it was a derby from our point of view."

Didn't look like a derby. Oh really? And why do you think that might be then, Mr Dowie? Possibly because it isn't one. The sorry truth is - hating Brighton because Alan Mullery called you nasty names isn't enough to make Crystal Palace v Brighton a 'derby'. A little bit of verbal jousting and hand-bag swinging doesn't actually constitute a 'local rivalry' does it?

At least it didn't with us. I mean, we live just round the corner from Croydon, so we're rather more 'local' than Brighton. AND we've been hurling abuse at Palace non-stop for over twenty years now. Some of that abuse has been quite unspeakably shocking - when I think back at some of the things we've chanted at the Palace, well, it quite makes me blush with shame. It really does. AND we sent them down, of course. Yes, it was all down to us. If it wasn't for us, Palace would still be dining at football's top table with the likes of Chelsea Arsenal and Charlton.

And yet despite all this, and despite Simon Jordan's rather pathetic and derisory attempts at a "Lets all Hate Charlton" campaign, Palace fans still have a warm affection for us. Despite the fact that they are the victims of an unrequited one-way love, and that we've consistently behaved abominably towards them, they still cant bring themselves to loathe us. Instead, they prefer to loathe Brighton, and only Brighton.

So whatever it was that Alan Mullery called Palace all those years ago, it must have been pretty bad. Not difficult to believe - I recall from his short term as manager at Charlton, Mullery had a mouth like a sewer. Are there any football historians out there who'd care to enlighten us? If you can remember the exact terms of abuse that Mullery fired at Palace, TELL FRANKIE so that we can all enjoy it once again.

Local rivals my arse. Why did the Football League schedule it for a Tuesday night if it was such a big game? There must be at least a dozen teams who are more local to Croydon than Brighton (including Charlton) and I'm sure they all have the utmost disdain for Jordan's Tits - or Crystal Palace Supporters Club, to give them their official title. Face it, all you Palace fans - Simes is right. You really shouldnt be liking us, after all we've done to you.

Brighton and Hove Albion? Bunch of pussy-cats.

Charlton Athletic? Loathsome monsters

SJ's Love Monkey

Ambrose-ia
Feb 8, 2005
Just chuckling at Charlton
Uncle Buck said:
Just found this. A Charlton fan is not happy about being liked;

FRANKIE SAYS....

Thursday 20th October 2005

Classic quote from the current manager at Crystal Palace, some fella named Dowie, after his side had been mauled to death by Brighton on Tuesday at the Dennis-in-the-Last-Minute Stadium in Croydon. This is what he had to say:

"There was not enough passion on the pitch. It didn't look like it was a derby from our point of view."

Didn't look like a derby. Oh really? And why do you think that might be then, Mr Dowie? Possibly because it isn't one. The sorry truth is - hating Brighton because Alan Mullery called you nasty names isn't enough to make Crystal Palace v Brighton a 'derby'. A little bit of verbal jousting and hand-bag swinging doesn't actually constitute a 'local rivalry' does it?

At least it didn't with us. I mean, we live just round the corner from Croydon, so we're rather more 'local' than Brighton. AND we've been hurling abuse at Palace non-stop for over twenty years now. Some of that abuse has been quite unspeakably shocking - when I think back at some of the things we've chanted at the Palace, well, it quite makes me blush with shame. It really does. AND we sent them down, of course. Yes, it was all down to us. If it wasn't for us, Palace would still be dining at football's top table with the likes of Chelsea Arsenal and Charlton.

And yet despite all this, and despite Simon Jordan's rather pathetic and derisory attempts at a "Lets all Hate Charlton" campaign, Palace fans still have a warm affection for us. Despite the fact that they are the victims of an unrequited one-way love, and that we've consistently behaved abominably towards them, they still cant bring themselves to loathe us. Instead, they prefer to loathe Brighton, and only Brighton.

So whatever it was that Alan Mullery called Palace all those years ago, it must have been pretty bad. Not difficult to believe - I recall from his short term as manager at Charlton, Mullery had a mouth like a sewer. Are there any football historians out there who'd care to enlighten us? If you can remember the exact terms of abuse that Mullery fired at Palace, TELL FRANKIE so that we can all enjoy it once again.

Local rivals my arse. Why did the Football League schedule it for a Tuesday night if it was such a big game? There must be at least a dozen teams who are more local to Croydon than Brighton (including Charlton) and I'm sure they all have the utmost disdain for Jordan's Tits - or Crystal Palace Supporters Club, to give them their official title. Face it, all you Palace fans - Simes is right. You really shouldnt be liking us, after all we've done to you.

Brighton and Hove Albion? Bunch of pussy-cats.

Charlton Athletic? Loathsome monsters

Charlton fans are desperate for some club to dislike them but no one gives a toss. Charlton the most insipid club in London oh i mean Kent

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
tinx said:
Poor charlton everyone likes them and no one cares about them. Bless.
If they didn't have non-league away support maybe everyone would pay them more attention.

To be honest, Charlton & Gillingham is a rivallry made in heaven. Can't they get it on. Oh I forgot, Charlton have tried that already by bussing fans out of the Gillingham - and still no luck.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
RoyalAli said:
Absolutely.
Historically, our rivalry is with Aldershot, but since they buckled we've not played them.
Wycombe aren't decent enough for us to concern ourselves with, and Oxford and Swindon only care about each other.
Likewise, QPR and Brentford don't work as London teams only really seem to have rivalries inside London (Apart from Palace and you)

West Ham seemed an entertaining rivalry for a while, but I think the venom is wearing thin.

There's always Reading town...???

You could start one with Bournemouth. They seem to struggle to generate hatred.

Aldershot and you lot is going a bit odd. The older fans still hate you and I remember when they played at Wokingham in the Ryman about 7 years ago, some of Readings older boys put an appearance in. But it seems all those years apart, means that a generation of Aldershot fans save it for the mighty Farnborough.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
RoyalAli said:
Absolutely.
Historically, our rivalry is with Aldershot, but since they buckled we've not played them.
Wycombe aren't decent enough for us to concern ourselves with, and Oxford and Swindon only care about each other.
Likewise, QPR and Brentford don't work as London teams only really seem to have rivalries inside London (Apart from Palace and you)

West Ham seemed an entertaining rivalry for a while, but I think the venom is wearing thin.

There's always Reading town...???
And Bournemouth. They don't like you much from those div 2 playoff years and like you, Chorlteton and the Kent Pikeys, they haven't got any proper rivals.

paulie

Jul 27, 2004
Charlton are laughable. No one hates them, they really care.

Contrast the 1,000 fans they brought to Selhurst in the Prem last year to the 3,500 maniacs on Tuesday.

F**k 'em.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
If active messageboards are any indication of a club's fanbase, then Charlton are nothing but an utter giggle. They've got one (crappy Rivals) site that ticks over with a fraction of the traffic we enjoy, and a couple of others that take about 10 hits a month.

Ex Shelton Seagull

Jul 7, 2003
Block G, Row F, Seat 175
I quite like Charlton.

Even Millwall don't hate them, they just laugh at them and call them "trainspotters". You've got to be pretty desperate to try and start a rivalry with Gillingham. I doubt any Charlton fans went as mental as we did when they beat Palace. Likewise I don't think Palace fans would have been as disgusted with Tuesdays performance if it had been against the "Addicks" (and what in God's name does that mean anyway?)

The other big area without a rivalry is West London. Every team in that area claims they hate a team that claims they don't give a toss.

Brentford say they hate Fulham & QPR.
Fulham say they don't care about Brentford and they hate Chelsea & QPR.
Chelsea say they don't give two shits about Fulham or QPR and hate Arsenal, Spurs & Man Utd.
QPR say they don't care about Fulham or Brentford and they only hate Chelsea.

Would they just make up their bloody minds!

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Have I missed something? I thought we hated Orient...;)

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Bwian said:
Have I missed something? I thought we hated Orient...;)
Actually, did we ever hate them? I suppose we must have - we took over half the ground at least twice in recent years.

Croydonbloke

Palace in Sussex
Sep 1, 2004
West Sussex
RoyalAli said:
I don't think Gillingham like them much, after Charlton's advertising campaigns throughout thier neck of the woods..
That was a pathetic excuse to gain a rival and on a team who they have no chance of playing again for a few years either. Twats.:censored:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here