Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Palace Fans Biggest Fear

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
My biggest fear is that next season they will allow us all back to football again, and because its a life long habit I will have to watch Palace lumber to mid table nothingness again...It was fun the first 3 seasons but it is getting pretty dull now.

But I cant really see how teams like us get to the next level unless you spend shit loads of money, and as we all know looking at other teams that have tried to do that it doesn't last long and ends in disaster.

Perhaps I need a bit of football mojo back as in all honesty to be on 29 points after 23 games is not too bad with our squad and probably all ready good enough to stave of relegation. ( 2 points behind Arsenal after 23 games and moaning).

Roll on the summer and get me back into Hove / The Oval with the sun in my face :)

Nobody is forcing you to have to go back to watching palace though are they? You are already resident in the kingdom of the South Saxons so why not save yourself a journey to that dirty hovel of a ground to watch an ageing overpaid squad of players led by an ageing overpaid manager (and a manky, mangy eagle) and pop along to a clean, modern shining example of a ground and watch a young, exciting team playing attractive football?

Sound like a plan? I will buy you your first pint. Can't say fairer than that.

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
Oi..All my family are from that area, and looking out of Nans house and seeing the glow of the lights as a 5 year old and being taken there by Dad as a 7 year old...The green grass almost dayglo under lights to watch Palace v Stoke in 72, you cant just stop that because you moved Saff. ( Mind you I was born and bought up near Warlingham)

As all us lifers know even if it is boring you to tears we always go back.

The Eagle is unfortunately no more :(

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
NSC Patron
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
What with Deli Ali now equalling Mr Tumble cautions for simulation, and as he has injured his diving muscle, maybe Palace will have to find a new way of playing.
The one good thing that VAR has done is stopped Palace cheating their way to so many penalties.
18/19 season prior to VAR, 11
19/20, withVAR, 3
20/21, so far, 2

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina
What with Deli Ali now equalling Mr Tumble cautions for simulation, and as he has injured his diving muscle, maybe Palace will have to find a new way of playing.
The one good thing that VAR has done is stopped Palace cheating their way to so many penalties.
19/20, withVAR, 3
20/21, so far, 2

They still managed to dive and win a penalty on the one occasion they got into our penalty area earlier in the season.

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
Oi..All my family are from that area, and looking out of Nans house and seeing the glow of the lights as a 5 year old and being taken there by Dad as a 7 year old...The green grass almost dayglo under lights to watch Palace v Stoke in 72, you cant just stop that because you moved Saff. ( Mind you I was born and bought up near Warlingham)

This is the difference between a real fan and so many of the plastics who follow the fashionable teams. It doesn't matter whether its Palace, Brighton, Fulham, Chesterfield, Newport or any of the others. It doesn't matter if its in The Prem or Division 2, we turn up, in the cold and wet, often expecting nothing more than a couple of hours of misery but hoping for something better. We all grumble about everything but we still go back, week in, week out if we are able. Its the one thing that unites all fans of all clubs, big and small, and despite VAR, Covid, the offside and handball rules, come the day when we are allowed back in, whatever the division , whatever the club, we will be there.

Jeremiah

God is great
Mar 15, 2020
Hove

Oh yes. That was half the fun of going to a midweek away game - trying to find the ground by the glow of the floodlights. No internet, google maps or books with directions to stadiums.

I wonder how many away fans drove aimlessly around Brighton at night trying to find the Goldstone Ground ? !

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
19/20, withVAR, 3
20/21, so far, 2

And this at a time when the number of penalties being awarded overall is on an upward trajectory.

There were a total of 92 penalties awarded in the PL over the WHOLE of last season. This season - with more than a third of the season still to go - we are already at 80. So a lot more penalties being awarded overall...but not for Palace, who have failed to snide their way to their usual quota this time. Albeit, typically, they still managed to con their way to one against us this season in order to fluke another result after being played off the park.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
My biggest fear is that next season they will allow us all back to football again, and because its a life long habit I will have to watch Palace lumber to mid table nothingness again...It was fun the first 3 seasons but it is getting pretty dull now.

But I cant really see how teams like us get to the next level unless you spend shit loads of money, and as we all know looking at other teams that have tried to do that it doesn't last long and ends in disaster.

Perhaps I need a bit of football mojo back as in all honesty to be on 29 points after 23 games is not too bad with our squad and probably all ready good enough to stave of relegation. ( 2 points behind Arsenal after 23 games and moaning).

Roll on the summer and get me back into Hove / The Oval with the sun in my face :)

I feel this about the prem league a lot... Although the Liverpool won was historic and I loved it. But I miss just seeing us win. The best we can realistically ever hope for is about 9th. The bottom third just feels a bit stale - and loads of overpaid players. That said, I don’t want us to go down, but a decent top 8 campaign in the championship is way more fun....

As for Palace, I think you need to take a risk like we did. The football is dire and it got that way under Hughton, although he did a good job like Roy has. Difficult to know though... what to wish for...

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
They still managed to dive and win a penalty on the one occasion they got into our penalty area earlier in the season.

Still can’t believe VAR didn’t at least advise the ref to look at monitor - it really is still luck of the draw. No chance we’ll get a similar decision on Monday week!

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
NSC Patron
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Still can’t believe VAR didn’t at least advise the ref to look at monitor - it really is still luck of the draw. No chance we’ll get a similar decision on Monday week!

The game was at the time when referees were giving forwards more or less everything they appealed for, and even some they didn’t appeal for.
It made me really angry at the time, how could a player 5’5” drag down a player who is 6 foot plus with one hand on his shoulder. The only people who thought that was a penalty was Attwell and the VAR ref. I believe it was one of the decisions that the FA must have looked at, and then told refs to ease back on the amount of penalties they were giving.
Had the incident happened now, it wouldn’t have been given as a penalty, and , maybe a booking for simulation.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
19/20, withVAR, 3
20/21, so far, 2

Yeah but to con the ref to giving you a penalty you have to get into the penalty area. Their turgid antifootball doesn't get them that far up the pitch very often.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Misery.

BB6D7CBF-C82D-478B-A83A-8924EFE7C2DF.png

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina
Palace average just over 0.3 points per match without Zaha since 2017 (played 19, won 2, lost 17). Over a course of a season, that would mean they’d get 12 points.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Palace average just over 0.3 points per match without Zaha since 2017 (played 19, won 2, lost 17). Over a course of a season, that would mean they’d get 12 points.

Whilst that's an interesting stat, I have my doubts about the 12 points bit.

Seriously - just where would they get them from?

Hornblower

Jul 7, 2003
I’ve said it before and I’m saying it again, Hodgson simply isn’t good enough anymore if he ever was. I genuinely think that if they don’t replace him he will take them down.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Thanks.

I was going to ask if anyone knew that stat.

Quite literally, they would’ve been relegated bottom in every EPL season. Whoever their diving coach was, they’re literally shite every season.

All the more astonishing because they’re big payers, which usually under the law of averages buys success. Benteke, Sorloth, Meyer, Batshuayi, Sakho and Loftus-Cheek have made fortunes by tapping the Parish shit show. Parish awards himself £2.6m annually for mismanaging it all.

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
It all depends how many of our 23 shots we can put away..

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here