Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Palace Fans Biggest Fear

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Hold on. You’ve said repeatedly that Hodgson style was dire and that you needed to change it. You can’t have it both ways.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Don't help themselves do they.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Dire at finishing, only 2 or 3 games where we were poor as a team. We failed to beat you, but I would agree with Andros, and we were not poor in either game.

I don't even think there were that many where we were dire for a full game.
We had a few bad halves, probably only 1 terrible game that I can think of.

casbom

Jul 24, 2007
Sounds like they will be getting that Ozan Kabak defender, so a new CB pairing of Guehi and Kabak. Could be quite good for them. It's certainly going to be interesting in seeing how they get on this season. Last couple of seasons there was no drama with them, you knew they would survive but you also knew they wouldn't bother the top ten. This season anything could happen with them!

Milo

Banned
Jul 9, 2021
Can you recall Palace getting in a manager "with fresh ideas" at some point in the recent past?

How did that work out for you?

Just cause FDB didn't work out (mainly due to his ego) doesn't mean PV won't work out.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
You were also dire at times. Didn't you fail to beat any of the bottom 4 home or away?

We were probably dire in a couple of games last season, a lot of time we dominated possession, created more chances but couldn't score. West Brom and Sheff Utd spring to mind. Our record vs bottom 7 was awful last year, Newcastle apart, but we got excellent home results vs City, Spurs and Liverpool, and annihilated Utd, but contrived to lose the game.

If we can improve results against the bottom half we will have a much better season, but we need to be better at breaking defensive teams down and taking our chances.

Have you recruited any coaching staff yet?

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
I don't even think there were that many where we were dire for a full game.
We had a few bad halves, probably only 1 terrible game that I can think of.

I was adding the shit halves up and came to 2 1/2 in my mind, but put 2 to 3 in the post.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Just cause FDB didn't work out (mainly due to his ego) doesn't mean PV won't work out.

I know you don't like links to things so here is a copy and paste from my first google search on the subject:

"As often happens when a manager leaves in acrimonious circumstances, details have emerged about what led to De Boer's departure.

According to Ed Malyon, writing for The Independent, there were several issues behind the scenes that led to Monday's decision by Palace.

Some senior players "immediately" turned against the former Ajax coach.
De Boer made it known that certain players weren't part of his plans, including veteran central-defender Damien Delaney. However, these players were popular in the dressing room and had the ear of the club chairman, Steve Parish.
This led to tension, as the players weren't sold, but knew they weren't wanted by De Boer.
Martin Kelly and Joel Ward were other players reportedly deemed not good enough by De Boer.

According to Malyon, some players' "apparent haste to go running to the headteacher immediately damaged the relationship between coach and players."
There were concerns amongst the squad over De Boer's tactics. According to the Mail, the decision to play central-midfielder Luka Milivojevic in defence during pre-season games "bewildered the Serb and his team-mates."
His philosophy of "pass, pass, pass" was said to be alien to a squad assembled over five seasons by Holloway, Pulis, Warnock, Pardew and Allardyce.
While some players didn't feel comfortable using a back-three.
De Boer was said to be considered "cold" by some members of the squad, and he had a "direct approach" when dealing with his players. Without wanting to generalise,
Dutch managers and players have a reputation for being direct, which can often seem blunt. It is staggering to think the Palace hierarchy didn't anticipate such an approach from De Boer."

No mention of his ego.... sounds more like a massive **** up from Parish to me.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

Of course, and no-one would suggest that.

But any new manager "with fresh ideas" is a gamble and, in the Premier League, a rather large gamble. That is why your board shat their pants, ditched the Dutchman and tried to dig themselves out of a big hole by bringing in a safe pair of hands.

Graham Potter was a rather large gamble for us to take. We had a safe pair of hands in place that would give us a great chance of remaining in the Premier League season after season.

Bloom rolled the dice and got a positive result. You might get the same result, or you might get another FDB. Is Big Sam currently out of work, BTW?

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
You would have thought, and yet ...

I am fairly confident that without anyone new, we will get improvement from the existing, it wasn't like everyone was ballooning their shots massively off target. For comfort, the list of strikers that missed the most good chances doesn't feature a Brighton forward until you get to 13th, some names on that list that most Albion fans would be happy to have here.
(Change the season to see it.)

https://www.premierleague.com/stats/top/players/big_chance_missed

Milo

Banned
Jul 9, 2021
Hold on. You’ve said repeatedly that Hodgson style was dire and that you needed to change it. You can’t have it both ways.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Course you can. The football was dire most of the time but other times our flair players stepped up and we played some good stuff. Just imagine what they can do now the shackles of Roy have been lifted, players like Zaha, Olise, Schulpp, Reidaweld and Eze should flourish.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I am fairly confident that without anyone new, we will get improvement from the existing, it wasn't like everyone was ballooning their shots massively off target. For comfort, the list of strikers that missed the most good chances doesn't feature a Brighton forward until you get to 13th, some names on that list that most Albion fans would be happy to have here. Change the season to see it. https://www.premierleague.com/stats/top/players/big_chance_missed

While at the other end we were third in the table for 'shots on target allowed', behind...

... City & Chelsea - FFS.
(Not just down to Ryan)

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Course you can. The football was dire most of the time but other times our flair players stepped up and we played some good stuff. Just imagine what they can do now the shackles of Roy have been lifted, players like Zaha, Olise, Schulpp, Reidaweld and Eze should flourish.

I for one cannot wait until those shackles to come off.
Fortunately we get to play against you before game 7.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I for one cannot wait until those shackles to come off.
Fortunately we get to play against you before game 7.

They're in for a surprise, although it won't be a surprise at all, as they have been told Paddy has a history of adding more shackles, not removing them.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I am going out on a limb here and predicting a pear shaped season for the fake Barcelona

Bring it on

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley

Has Schlupp signed again? I guess he hasn't got many other decent options, he has missed a lot of games through injury over the last 2 seasons, as will Eze this season, difficult to flourish from the treatment table.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here