Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Palace Fans Biggest Fear

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Andros Townsend "back at a big club". :D

Screenshot-2021-07-20-at-18-21-06.png

I get the feeling there were some pissed off players after Benteke was offered a new deal and the others were told to hang on whilst Parish sorted out a new manager.

That quote is a little bit bitchy after spending 5 years at your previous club.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Eze being out is a real loss. Do you realistically think he'll be back for Jan? I thought a ruptured Achilles was 12 months but if Jan is the expected timescale then I'll take that.
I think the issue with new players at Premier League level, and young ones at that, is that they often take time to settle. Obviously not always, and Eze is an example of that as is Tariq Lamptey. However I'll raise you Alexis MacAllister. A full Argentian international who has taken 18 months to start showing his full potential.
A squad overhaul is obviously what Palace needed and it looks like they are on their way with it but it will be bumpy road ahead.

In fairness to Palace, they tend to stick to British based players who are already accustomed to the pace and physicality to English football.
It's still a gamble as not every championship starlet is going to make it, and you will be paying higher fees/wages for those players.

Our punts on South American/European players are a bigger gamble IMO, but you can afford to be wrong on a lot more of these.

Milo

Banned
Jul 9, 2021
It’s not the number but the quality ……

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The core of the team that finished 14th last season and well clear of the bottom 3 is still there. Plus Guehi and Olise added. And more to signings to come. Plus a new manager with fresh ideas. It was feeling old and stagnant under Roy.

We finished above you last season so what does that say about your quality? In a 38 game season, the table doesn't lie.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Eze being out is a real loss. Do you realistically think he'll be back for Jan? I thought a ruptured Achilles was 12 months but if Jan is the expected timescale then I'll take that.
I think the issue with new players at Premier League level, and young ones at that, is that they often take time to settle. Obviously not always, and Eze is an example of that as is Tariq Lamptey. However I'll raise you Alexis MacAllister. A full Argentian international who has taken 18 months to start showing his full potential.
A squad overhaul is obviously what Palace needed and it looks like they are on their way with it but it will be bumpy road ahead.

Has he?

Granted 'his full potential' was always unrealistic, bearing in mind the international shirt he has worn, but even so I can't place him doing much more than a couple of quality passes.

Hardly full potential material.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
The core of the team that finished 14th last season and well clear of the bottom 3 is still there. Plus Guehi and Olise added. And more to signings to come. Plus a new manager with fresh ideas. It was feeling old and stagnant under Roy.

We finished above you last season so what does that say about your quality? In a 38 game season, the table doesn't lie.

This statement has been demonstrated to be false on a number of occasions.
Newcastle regularly disprove this trope
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/feb/21/newcastle-defy-statistics-and-show-premier-league-table-does-lie

You are correct to state that you finished above us.
Please keep going with the factual statements, rather than opinion as fact arguments, just don't conflate quality and league position.
One doesn't necessarily lead to the other.

Milo

Banned
Jul 9, 2021
This statement has been demonstrated to be false on a number of occasions.
Newcastle regularly disprove this trope
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/feb/21/newcastle-defy-statistics-and-show-premier-league-table-does-lie

You are correct to state that you finished above us.
Please keep going with the factual statements, rather than opinion as fact arguments, just don't conflate quality and league position.
One doesn't necessarily lead to the other.

Come on mate, you literally always post one link to suit your agenda and think it's the gospel. The league table doesn't lie, everyone knows that. We won more games than you last season, we won more points than you and we took 4 points from you.

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
In a 38 game season, the table doesn't lie.

Ahhh this old chesnut. I think that you'll find in a low scoring game (like football), it is very common that the table does lie. That randomness is one of the reasons why it is the most heavily gambled-upon sport. Much analysis has happened over the years to argue exactly the opposite of your point.

Yes, most teams usually finish where they should, but there are a lot of examples where this isn't the case.

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
Come on mate, you literally always post one link to suit your agenda and think it's the gospel. The league table doesn't lie, everyone knows that. We won more games than you last season, we won more points than you and we took 4 points from you.

Of COURSE it lies. Otherwise you'd just chuck a ton of money on the exact same sequence every year, certainly the top ten if you're worried about the three promoted teams. But precisely because the table lies, nobody is foolish enough to do so.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011

The table doesn't show the quality of a football team, just the amount of points collected.
Your argument was about quality. If it was about points won, fair dos. It wasn't.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
I think we are just excited as the shackles of Roy will finally be released. We do have some decent flair players in Zaha, Eze and Olise and it'll be great to see what they can do in a more attacking team. It's a real shame Eze is out till January though otherwise I think we would be in a stronger position. I would reckon both Palace and Brighton will be around the 11th-15th places, who knows who will finish higher though, time will tell.

I think you are doing Roy a disservice his pragmatic approach saw you grind out the results needed to finish where you did. He maximised the strength of the ageing squad available ahead of a summer where you need a significant rebuild. I don’t know why you feel PV is going to play attacking football there is no clear evidence of that in his career so far.

You are now buying young players making a step up to the PL and a manager who is inexperienced at this level it could go either way. In many ways this is what we have been through over the last two seasons since Hughtons departure and GP has been a huge success completely transforming the way we play but during that transition it has been tough, the young players and managers have made expected mistakes and we have dropped points due to poor finishing and game management.

Do not underestimate the transition your club has to make to bed in new players and a new manager and playing style in a summer when the preparation window is shortened by the Euros and your delayed managerial appointment. It will be interesting to see if the palace fans have the patience to see the transition through as I think you are in for a tough ride next season.

Milo

Banned
Jul 9, 2021
Personally, I think you are all basing our perceived lack of quality off of the game at the Amex where, without Zaha we played awful in attack.
If you actually watched us last year there were many games that we played quality football in. Man Utd home and away, Spurs at home, Arsenal away, Villa at home, Sheff Utd home and away, Wba away, Fulham away , Leeds home and Newcastle away all spring to mind.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Personally, I think you are all basing our perceived lack of quality off of the game at the Amex where, without Zaha we played awful in attack.
If you actually watched us last year there were many games that we played quality football in. Man Utd home and away, Spurs at home, Arsenal away, Villa at home, Sheff Utd home and away, Wba away, Fulham away , Leeds home and Newcastle away all spring to mind.
We watched you and for the most part you were dire. Anything else from you is denial. Even palace supporters who took part in a poll of all pl club fans, rated you as terrible to watch.

Milo

Banned
Jul 9, 2021
We watched you and for the most part you were dire. Anything else from you is denial. Even palace supporters who took part in a poll of all pl club fans, rated you as terrible to watch.

You were also dire at times. Didn't you fail to beat any of the bottom 4 home or away?

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex

I answered this yesterday. You conceded 20 more goals than us and scored 1 more. This means that we controlled games but couldn’t finish off the opposition. You defended and hit on the break which is a limited strategy.
The problem you have is that moving from a defensive strategy to an attacking strategy takes time … a lot of time …. Which you don’t have in the premier league.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
You were also dire at times. Didn't you fail to beat any of the bottom 4 at home or away?

Dire at finishing, only 2 or 3 games where we were poor as a team. We failed to beat you, but I would agree with Andros, and we were not poor in either game.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex

Hold on. You’ve said repeatedly that Hodgson style was dire and that you needed to change it. You can’t have it both ways.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here