Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Our new academy , waste of money?

MACROBLUE

Jul 9, 2011
While eating lunch this afternoon I was pondering our new academy and thinking about some top young players coming of our new production line just like Southampton, Arsenal, Everton and Man Utd and Palace just to name a few .

But then do we really need to spunk £15 million on one and never play our youngsters? We should just spend the money on strengthening the squad to push for the premier and worry about this so called academy at a later date because Gus will never play our talent unless it’s a cup game which he/we know we’ll never win.

The reason I ask is Gus is excited by our new academy being built but our youngsters haven’t a cat in hell of breaking into the first team. Ok Dunk has but only because of elphick and el-abd are injured otherwise Dunk would be like Jake forster caskey being left in the wilderness.

It get’s my back up when you see other teams bedding their youngsters into their first team, ok, 20 minutes here or there but it’s good experience but we don’t, ok dunk only as we’ve no defensive cover. What does it take for our youngsters to get a run out? All midfield injured or our entire first team going down with a bug.

Thoughts please?
Yes, its a no brainer.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
I genuinely have no idea what you are talking about.

I would love to have a reasoned debate
on here about what I think the club has wasted money on but that isn't going to happen so Pies is my answer.

I never said I was looking for any debate at all. Hells Bells people. Apologies to any and all for the offense I seem to have caused. As you were.

Are you a tad confused this morning?

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Palace? Their last 3 best prospects

Ben Watson- Wigan
Victor Moses- Wigan
John Bostock - Spurs reserves (been on loan at Brentford)

Other then that they haven't really produced any wonder kids have they?!

Man of the match in our game this season for me was young 17 year old welsh lad John Williams... he was outstanding in midfield and that young black fella on the right wing had painter in his pocket most of the evening.....both academy players.

Bigbelly your perspective on spend the money today is short term, an academy is a long term view, for this very simple reason.

Brighton are not a massive club with unlimited money, and we don't have the cash to keep buying top level players.....an academy spots young talent and nurtures it, some players will find their way into our first team (avoiding transfer fees) and some will be sold in the future for a profit. If we get the right young players, then the academy will pay for itself in the medium term from transfer fees received and transfer fees saved by developing young players.

Gus won't be here for ever, but the academy will be, its a vital part of building a long term sustainable future. 15 million in todays money will be nothing 30 years from now. our academy costs 15 mill, we may even sell 1 player for that amount in 30 years time (which will be like a couple of million in todays money) and its paid for itself.

The facilities will be first class and they will attract some of the best youngsters from our area and beyond

Last edited:

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
There is room at Pende to do an ambitious scheme for the local economy including a sports academy.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Palace? Their last 3 best prospects

Ben Watson- Wigan
Victor Moses- Wigan
John Bostock - Spurs reserves (been on loan at Brentford)

Other then that they haven't really produced any wonder kids have they?!

Williams and Zaha of the current crop.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Are you a tad confused this morning?

Loving something and looking for it on here these days are mutually exclusive I'm afraid. Anyway, I'm sure it will all work out fine in the end.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
Loving something and looking for it on here these days are mutually exclusive I'm afraid. Anyway, I'm sure it will all work out fine in the end.

Right, got it! "Nibble" isn't actually a human being ... it's a (failed) Turing Test that spouts vaguely sensible nonsense when it doesn't understand the question.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Right, got it! "Nibble" isn't actually a human being ... it's a (failed) Turing Test that spouts vaguely sensible nonsense when it doesn't understand the question.

Yes. I am clearly the one who didn't understand. I did have to look Turing Test up though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here