Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Our new academy , waste of money?

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
It's not just an academy, it's our own training facilities - state of the art facilities at that. It's not all about getting promoted to the prem as fast as possible, it's got plenty to do with consolidating what we have ie a solid championship club looking to improve year on year. With the greatest of respect Bigbelly thank god Tony Bloom is in charge and not you.

Excellent post.

There has been some beyond stupid shit written on here recently but I think this thread takes the biscuit for me.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
Excellent post.

There has been some beyond stupid shit written on here recently but I think this thread takes the biscuit for me.

Or more precisely, the op

bathseagull

Apr 18, 2004
St. Anmore
While eating lunch this afternoon I was pondering our new academy and thinking about some top young players coming of our new production line just like Southampton, Arsenal, Everton and Man Utd and Palace just to name a few .

But then do we really need to spunk £15 million on one and never play our youngsters? We should just spend the money on strengthening the squad to push for the premier and worry about this so called academy at a later date because Gus will never play our talent unless it’s a cup game which he/we know we’ll never win.

The reason I ask is Gus is excited by our new academy being built but our youngsters haven’t a cat in hell of breaking into the first team. Ok Dunk has but only because of elphick and el-abd are injured otherwise Dunk would be like Jake forster caskey being left in the wilderness.

It get’s my back up when you see other teams bedding their youngsters into their first team, ok, 20 minutes here or there but it’s good experience but we don’t, ok dunk only as we’ve no defensive cover. What does it take for our youngsters to get a run out? All midfield injured or our entire first team going down with a bug.

Thoughts please?

So Dunk is only getting a place because Elphick and El-Abd are out? Can no-one else see the pattern with these three players...?

Nah, let's not bother developing youth, we're clearly no good at it!

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
While eating lunch this afternoon I was pondering our new academy and thinking about some top young players coming of our new production line just like Southampton, Arsenal, Everton and Man Utd and Palace just to name a few .

But then do we really need to spunk £15 million on one and never play our youngsters? We should just spend the money on strengthening the squad to push for the premier and worry about this so called academy at a later date because Gus will never play our talent unless it’s a cup game which he/we know we’ll never win.

The reason I ask is Gus is excited by our new academy being built but our youngsters haven’t a cat in hell of breaking into the first team. Ok Dunk has but only because of elphick and el-abd are injured otherwise Dunk would be like Jake forster caskey being left in the wilderness.

It get’s my back up when you see other teams bedding their youngsters into their first team, ok, 20 minutes here or there but it’s good experience but we don’t, ok dunk only as we’ve no defensive cover. What does it take for our youngsters to get a run out? All midfield injured or our entire first team going down with a bug.

Thoughts please
?

I think you should eat less because, clearly, the digestive process is robbing your brain of blood and oxygen.

Last edited:

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Is the OP Kevin Keegan who closed the Newcastle Academy as soon as he became manager ?

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
So having state of the art training facilities will attract top youngsters? Can see it now, I'll go to Brighton’s academy as the grass is nice and lush and has an ice bath unlike Arsenal where they have a top coach.

What with Chelsea Spurs and Arsenal making inroads into Sussex schools to tap up the local talent. Who would the youngster choose, us or them?

Yes. Gus has stated that if anyone wants to leave for a better club then the club won't stand in their way meaning they can go for peanuts, the only reason Gus said that is because he hopes a big club comes for him and and the club release him.

Think Gus should be.

Actually I've changed my mind, you are clearly someone's wind up account.

If not you should consider doing the gene pool a favour and seriously consider chemical castration.

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield

Thoughts please?
Thoughts? I would be disappointed and sadden if a true reasonable thinking Albion supporters come up with such shit?

Are you on a wind up, or just not very bright.

Ever thought they are not good enough? You can only mention one player, Jake Caskey. Hardly makes the new academy a waste of time. Ever thought part of the reason Caskey isn't getting a look in, is because he's alway on international duty. Ever thought its because he hasn't fully devleoped, and would probably get kicked to shit in the middle week in week out? For that matter, have you ever THOUGHT?

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Thoughts? I would be disappointed and sadden if a true reasonable thinking Albion supporters come up with such shit?

Are you on a wind up, or just not very bright.

Ever thought they are not good enough? You can only mention one player, Jake Caskey. Hardly makes the new academy a waste of time. Ever thought part of the reason Caskey isn't getting a look in, is because he's alway on international duty. Ever thought its because he hasn't fully devleoped, and would probably get kicked to shit in the middle week in week out? For that matter, have you ever THOUGHT?

I'm with Burnsy

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield

Thoughts please?
The more I think about this thread, the more I think we may have the most retarded thread starter on the whole net. Could this be the most stupid thread ever started on NSC.

We have three youngsters at the moment, probably maybe good enough to get game time.

One is starting regualary at centre back, and has been linked with a move to a top top premiership side.

One is progressing well and is on loan to Bournemouth, and getting good game time, and maybe just maybe is 1st said player does get sold in January, 2nd player at Bournemouth may take his place in th squad/team as he proved he has something about him after his performance against Liverpool.

The final one is 17, very lightweight at the moment (Our 20 year old $1m player has just admitted having a growth spurt), and would get kicked to shit in a championship midfield if played week in week out, not to mention seems to be away on International duty every month will some England age group or other.

So Mr OP, who else is there. We have one Gus is playing and is being talked about a £5million move to the premiership. We have one playing on loan and getting rave reviews and very good game time, and we have one who is 17 and clearly, well clearly to someone whos not a complet retard, not phyiscally mature enough for championship football yet!

And on the back of this you are claiming the academy is a waste of money and we'd be spunking £15million quid!!!!

Now go and play in the sand pit with dog shit in it, with the other simpletons!

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
An interesting diversion maybe, but our youth products include a current premiership starter, who was released by the club without making an appearance, went to Wycombe before joining his current club. So one more credit for youth development, even if this one slipped through the net for the club.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London

Thoughts please?

Thoughts are its lucky you're not in charge of the club. If we want to really improve as a club and become a force in the Premier League, then we have to be able to produce top quality young players, and the academy will help us do this. Look at Southampton. Produce one Alex Oxlaide-Chamberlain, Theo Walcott or Gareth Bale and the academy is paid for.

As for Gus not giving young players a chance, that is rubbish, just look at Dunk. How old is JFC? 16? 17? How many players play for the first team at that age? Not many, and unless they are real geniuses then they usually end up being ruined by it. Look at the way Alex Ferguson brings his youngsters through. Does he throw them in the first team at 16? No. Most don't come through until 18/19 at the earliest, and then they generally only play a bit part for the first couple of seasons. Gus is doing the right thing.

And apart from anything else, Gus isn't going to be here forever, so your argument that we shouldn't bother building an academy to produce young players to help secure our long term future as a top club because or current Manager wont play them is ridiculous.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
It is unfortunate NSC does not have a "name and shame" negative poster list. This OP would certainly be near the top along with a few other regulars.

Bigbelly is someone's second account, but I don't know who's. It would be interesting to see whether it is a wind up account or whether the person who own it is just as idiotic in their first account.

El Pres, tell us who it is! The people demand to be told.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
we've spunked money on lots of totally unnecessary things over the past 3 years when we should have been learning to play football.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here