Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Our new academy , waste of money?

AMEXican Wave

AMEX Ruffian
Sep 21, 2010
No, the academy is the way forward. If we can produce one Oxlade-Chamberlain then it's pretty much paid for.

With respect to our current and past youth, we should be aiming to produce a much higher standard of young player.

Last edited:

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
Whilst on the subject - what ever happened with these EPPP protests , went a bit quiet (genuine question)

Bigbelly

Banned
Sep 24, 2011
If we had an academy would Barry and Standing have been allowed to leave?

Yes. Gus has stated that if anyone wants to leave for a better club then the club won't stand in their way meaning they can go for peanuts, the only reason Gus said that is because he hopes a big club comes for him and and the club release him.

middletoenail

Jul 2, 2008
Hong Kong
Yes. Gus has stated that if anyone wants to leave for a better club then the club won't stand in their way meaning they can go for peanuts, the only reason Gus said that is because he hopes a big club comes for him and and the club release him.

Looking at your previous posts you cant be far from being placed on suicide watch!

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
It is all part of the blueprint for the future of the club and is exceptional good news.

Can't wait for the new training and academy to be built and only 20 minutes walk away, will do wonders to the local economy in Shoreham by creating some jobs as well.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Excellent idea. Sack Gus and get Hinshelwood in. He played 11 academy players a game!

And who can forget Marney? Or Wilkinson?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Palace? Their last 3 best prospects

Ben Watson- Wigan
Victor Moses- Wigan
John Bostock - Spurs reserves (been on loan at Brentford)

Other then that they haven't really produced any wonder kids have they?!

Wilfried Zaha promises to be better than any of these.

Last edited:

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Our youngsters haven’t a cat in hell of breaking into the first team. Ok Dunk has but only because of elphick and el-abd are injured otherwise Dunk would be like Jake forster caskey being left in the wilderness.

So where did Elphick and El Abd come from then? Gus didn't seem too reluctant to play El Abd last season ...

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
At the time I believe that he was rated the better propect, although it didnt turn out that way.

think we did very well anyway,especially from Barry and at the time it was and still is a lot of money we received.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
So where did Elphick and El Abd come from then? Gus didn't seem too reluctant to play El Abd last season ...

Lynch & Jake Robinson,also Dean Cox....all through the ranks.....

Feb 24, 2011
Upper Bevendean
The problem with the academy now, will be the Premier league clubs getting first dibs on the youngsters now. So we spend all our resources on training them, just for Arsenal or Chelsea to snap them up at minimal price, and we have to let them go. I was all for the new academy before we had to sign up for this, but now I don't see the point.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
For anyone to say the club don't need new facilities/academy has clearly never been to Sussex Uni. In my time at the Uni we took priority over the club training and the pitches/facilities were not exactly great, I know they have been improved since then but a dedicated facility is a must

Falkor

Banned
Jun 3, 2011
The problem with the academy now, will be the Premier league clubs getting first dibs on the youngsters now. So we spend all our resources on training them, just for Arsenal or Chelsea to snap them up at minimal price, and we have to let them go. I was all for the new academy before we had to sign up for this, but now I don't see the point.

Does it not depend on what level our academy will be classed at.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005

If the facilities, coaches and prospects are there young players will stay especially if we are in the Premier League ourselves (Bloom's aim), if left as now any good player coming through would hardly have to give it a second thought

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
1. The club need proper training facilities, can't put up with sharing the Uni's sports facilities any longer. We are an aspiring Championship side that needs to give players and staff a state of the art complex.

2. UEFA under Platini have already set deadlines for clamping on the financial excesses footie no doubt targetting the big boys in the Premiership, even more so now Man C have announced £190m losses for last year. No one will be able to afford the spiralling transfer fees and add ons. Within a year or two the focus will shift back to the roles of academies and talent brought up through the youth systems.

3. Great opportunity through Tony Bloom's generosity to create local jobs and a further focal point in the community.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Palace? Their last 3 best prospects

Ben Watson- Wigan
Victor Moses- Wigan
John Bostock - Spurs reserves (been on loan at Brentford)

Other then that they haven't really produced any wonder kids have they?!

I'm not sticking up for Palace but have they not also produced Scannel, Clyne and Williams?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here