Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Other new stadiums being built at the moment

Nappy thrower

Banned
Dec 17, 2009
Floor above Bushy
I would guess it's easier to get planning permission for a 22,500-seater stadium than a 33,000-seater stadium, the main issue being transport.

Just a guess, mind.

Surely it would only have a knock on affect with transport?

It's not as if the main contruction will alter?

Anyway that will happen one day i guess along with another tier/row of boxes in the east stand.

Lets face it we do lack boxes and 17 isn't great when you look at all the other grounds like MK,Liberty who have 30 plus.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
If we were to fill in the corners at falmer does anyone know how many more that would give us ?

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Surely it would only have a knock on affect with transport?

It's not as if the main contruction will alter?

Anyway that will happen one day i guess along with another tier/row of boxes in the east stand.

Lets face it we do lack boxes and 17 isn't great when you look at all the other grounds like MK,Liberty who have 30 plus.

What I meant was that it's probably easier to have a travel management strategy for 22,500 than for 33,000 for that location, irrespective of what the thing actually looks like.

As regards the boxes, the original plan was for about 30, but when the club asked its regular hospitality patrons whether they were interested in having boxes, a fair whack said that they prefer the 'one big room and sitting in the main stand' approach, rather than being syphoned off to their own private little world.

So the plans were changed.

SUIYHP

The King's Gull
Apr 16, 2009
Inside Southwick Tunnel
Actually, I dont think any of them look terrible (probably minus the worlds largest sperm), I doubt there is any good out of being all snobby over other peoples stadiums in comparison to ours. And It looks like Chesterfield are getting a nice little 10,000 seater stadium, that will give them about a couple thousand extra seats, while we are getting something just below three times as much as withdean

Last edited:

Superseagull

Jul 8, 2003
If we were to fill in the corners at falmer does anyone know how many more that would give us ?

Phase 1 = Filling in the corners would add about 1000 seats per corner.

Phase 2 = A second tier on the East stand (which has been designed for) would add another 3000. So we could push the capacity towards 30,000 without too much extra work.

I've seen a plan of the East stand with two tiers a couple of years back so it is a real possibility for the future.

A bit more work would be needed to add second tiers to either the South or North stands, but in theory it could be done (after winning the premiership!).

However, lets fill 22,000 seats first week in week out!

Screaming J

He'll put a spell on you
Jul 13, 2004
Exiled from the South Country
[ about Chesterfields new ground] "It meets all current building regulations"

Err, am I missing something here? If it didn't meet current building regulations presumably they wouldn't have been allowed to build it!

lasvegan

Jan 30, 2009
Sin City
It has to be said that I like the look of Chesterfields new ground - its much more aesthetically pleasing than the similarly sized new grounds of Shrewsbury and Colchester. I'm sure it is the right size for them, as I'm sure Falmer will be the right size for us.

Incidentally, all this talk of international games, well of the UEFA categorisations, apart from their 'Elite' category stadiums the minimum seated capacity appears to be about 3,000 (30,000 for Elite), and I don't think you need to have an Elite stadium to host internationals (think Faroe Islands).

Incidentally, answering a recent question regarding EUFA categories, the ATFPT stated that their aim was to achieve "Elite" status for Falmer, indicating that at some point in the future the club does plan on increasing the capacity to the minimum 30,000 seat requirement.

Martinf

SeenTheBlue&WhiteLight
Mar 13, 2008
Lewes
Last edited:

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
Update

I know it's a little small and a bit dull but I stand by original statement that it will be much, much better than other similar sized stadiums built in recent years. Looking pretty smart;

Attachments

• lastphoto.jpg
    lastphoto.jpg
    374.2 KB · Views: 328

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Imagine what Falmer will look like with that lovely green grass!

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003

Jamie_Seagull

Jun 22, 2010
Worthing
Have to agree, quite a nice looking little ground!
But then again, what's it got on our :amex: ??

:clap2::clap2::clap2:

moondog

Jan 31, 2008
We got the keys yesterday, when you visit, won't be long :amex:, you will be impressed by the quality of the build. Looking forward to watching Craig Davies stick a few in.

Is Whing still with you ?

Wished we'd not nicked Darren Currie from under your noses a couple of years ago...

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Northern councils also tend to have rather more former industrial wastelands on which to build stadiums too.

Both Wigan and Bolton's grounds are a testament to that as I know what used to be on both sites.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here