Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Other new stadiums being built at the moment

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
I think people are being a little unfair, sure it's not going to win any design awards but I think it looks much, much better than the likes of Shrewsbury and Colchester's concrete monstrocities, at least it is slightlly individual in design.
It also looks like it would be fairly easy to expand and the design of the main stand roof is pretty good, all for 13 million quid which proberbly includes land acquisition. Not a bad effort.

Why all the piss-taking?

They're getting much better facilities than they have at present for a fraction of the cost of Falmer and for a club like Chesterfield I think it shows reasonable ambition. As you say, it looks easy to expand when needed and I bet they won't have the Village of the Damned blocking their every move like we have to contend with. Let's be honest, if our new stadium wasn't in such a 'sensitive' part of the world, would Falmer be as elegant as it promises to be? I suspect it might well have been a bit of an identikit build and we'd all be just as happy with it.

That video is shit though.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Looks Ok to me. Nothing flash, but all that they need. However, when do they intend to move in??

Christ we look in a similar position to them and we won't be in next year.

They seem to have all the land they need ready to build on and don't have to dig down like we do. There'll probably be the usual breeze block concourses too which is fairly quick to put up. Again, it's a design we'd have happily welcomed as our new home.

Bigtomfu

Jul 25, 2003
Harrow
I do like the fact that there stadium is welcomed on a nearly town centre location. Thats the overriding problem with living in somewhere as desirable as Brighton, the council can afford to not want a football club in a convenient location.

Northern Councils see football as a source of civc pride rather than the scourge of the city as is the fact in our case.

Also liking the fact that Morcambe haven't gone all seater for their new ground - I still feel we could have challenged the establishment and gone for terracing behind one of the goals, but i'm not going to moan about it too much!

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I do like the fact that there stadium is welcomed on a nearly town centre location. Thats the overriding problem with living in somewhere as desirable as Brighton, the council can afford to not want a football club in a convenient location.

Northern Councils see football as a source of civc pride rather than the scourge of the city as is the fact in our case.

Northern councils also tend to have rather more former industrial wastelands on which to build stadiums too.

Bigtomfu

Jul 25, 2003
Harrow
Northern councils also tend to have rather more former industrial wastelands on which to build stadiums too.

Totally agree, but one gets the impression that even if we did have lots of industrial wasteland they would rather populate it with mixed use commercial and residential than a sports facility - a la the station site.

Its just that I bet Chesterfield were given options and not restricted to one site where planning consent was always going to be difficult to obtain.

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
Lets see which of the two teams between them and us who progresses quicker before we start chucking stones....people in green houses etc

cw00

Mar 29, 2009
Manchester
The Stadium Guide - Stadiums of the Future list of new stadiums

southendnew1.jpg

southends :shootself

Collar Feeler

No longer feeling collars
Jul 26, 2003
If Falmer had been earmarked for posh flats for Londoners, e.g Cressida and her lesbian partner Skye and their two children Moondust and Pixie then it would have been built on ten years ago. Unfortunately we wanted to build a monstrous football stadium therefore bringing death and destruction the likes of which haven't been seen since the Vikings. I do envy northern teams for having it so easy when it comes to knocking a stadium up in no time at all, they are still up north though the northern monkeys.

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
Never mind the webcam, is the seating set out parabolically or is it just parabollox?

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here