Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] Ollie Robinson suspended by ECB

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
All totally out of hand now.

If you take this to its logical conclusion all cricket in England should be suspended until everyone has been investigated.

In fact perhaps all sport, in fact perhaps everything......

Lockdown until everyone can prove they've never had an impure thought about race. Those who can't are sent to the camps for diversity training.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
He was 19.

I certainly did and said bloody stupid things and made awful jokes when I was 19, 20, 21. And probably beyond. The only difference is mine aren't immortalised for ever on Twitter.

And you're probably not a professional sportsman... as he was at the time he posted his material.

It is a mess, but to be quite frank I have no sympathy for anyone who posts this sort of thing on social media - but I have made it clear before I don't understand the "bantz" mentality...

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
Agree with much of that - however I have never understood this idea that sportsmen, pop stars or anyone else in the public eye should be role models for the young - many are thick as mince and just happen to be good at something!

Could you define the word " many" in the context of your post ?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Is this really just England with a social media problem? I can imagine that some of the Aussie and Saffer players will have some juicy racist stuff on their social media history, having been brought up on a diet of The Twelfth Man's Wired World Of Sports. It's worth going through that Indian one-day squad one more time:

Openers Kutis Arminhaf and Sunil Havascar
Areel Madderfarker
Bitavah Kocksarker
Awundar Wersadunny
Mikharzabit Rusti
Rubish Binny (Left out by the selectors)
Madonna Khant Singh (Manager)
Mohamed Azabigun
Afukin Lottagudewaz
Snake Charmer
Aluv Slimdusty
Verri Farkinfunni
Drysa Nunsnasty

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
It saddens me to see our cricket and football teams disappearing up their collective arses as they try to re-educate all players on an ever-evolving standard of political correctness. And it's going to continue to it's logical conclusion until we have teams filled with righteous individuals who think the right way (as currently defined), but actually aren't very good at football or cricket.

If I were Ollie Robinson, I'd announce my retirement from international cricket. **** em.

It isn't political correctness to not be racist, unless you define political correctness as being something good. Somehow I doubt it.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
No, I will leave that for the next inevitable revelations...

Oh, ok...it's alright for you to make sweeping statements then.. ( on a public forum) I.e. "MANY are thick as mince". But it';s not ok to make sweeping statements like say..."MANY muslims are terrorists" for example.....Something of course that I totally disagree with.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Oh, ok...it's alright for you to make sweeping statements then.. ( on a public forum) I.e. "MANY are thick as mince". But it';s not ok to make sweeping statements like say..."MANY muslims are terrorists" for example.....Something of course that I totally disagree with.

Really. Is that best you can do as a deflection?

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
Really. Is that best you can do as a deflection?

I don't actually see a lot of difference between you and posters who make sweeping statements. Fortunately not all the people who make sweeping statements are as self righteous as yourself.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
I don't actually see a lot of difference between you and posters who make sweeping statements. Fortunately not all the people who make sweeping statements are as self righteous as yourself.

Think you missed out pompous and tw@t, but not bad as insults go :smile:

To be honest I don't care two hoots about the gentleman in question, and yes it does seem harsh if this could affect his career, but what I really dont get is the mentality of the statements he made on an open forum - as I called it earlier, the "bantz" culture, whereby you can say whatever you like, be as nasty as you like, then when you get called out say "sorry, just a bit of banter".

A good maxim, if you're not prepared to say something to someone's face, don't say it online!

KeegansHairPiece

Jan 28, 2016
And you're probably not a professional sportsman... as he was at the time he posted his material.

I don't think his first professional contract was signed until Oct 2013, sometime after the tweets were made. I don't think any subsequent comments, tweets, posts have been made or discovered beyond what has been found so far which I think date through 2012.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
I don't think his first professional contract was signed until Oct 2013, sometime after the tweets were made. I don't think any subsequent comments, tweets, posts have been made or discovered beyond what has been found so far which I think date through 2012.
My mistake then, I thought these comments were made when he was on Yorkshire's books!

Seaview Seagull

NSC Patron
Mar 1, 2021
As far as I can see all the ECB has done is suspend him while they investigate. This is what any employer would do when some kind of serious misdemeanor is alleged. Where they may have a problem is in the fact that he wasn't their employee when he sent the offending tweets.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
To be honest I don't care two hoots about the gentleman in question,

Now I admit, I am struggling with your self righteous attitude on this thread, but to say you "don't care two hoots" about this, is utter nonsense.

You have proclaimed ...on this thread.....your "shame" that this person not only represents your county at cricket, but is also "from the county of my birth"..!! No surprises that the other self righteous person on this thread, Bragafan gave you a thumbs up.

Just my opinion of course, but you two in particular should think about walking away from this thread altogether.

Seriously, seriously....... "your shame".....FFS !

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Now I admit, I am struggling with your self righteous attitude on this thread, but to say you "don't care two hoots" about this, is utter nonsense.

You have proclaimed ...on this thread.....your "shame" that this person not only represents your county at cricket, but is also "from the county of my birth"..!! No surprises that the other self righteous person on this thread, Bragafan gave you a thumbs up.

Just my opinion of course, but you two in particular should think about walking away from this thread altogether.

You're quite funny aren't you - my "shame" was a joke, which clearly you didn't get - why would I feel shame for something done by someone who just happens to be born in the same county as me?

As for walking away, no all the while it annoys you i'll stick around, being self righteous! :)

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014

Who rattled your cage? I've been minding my own business for a couple days. I've said my peice, so I thought I'd leave you to carry on making your excuses for racism.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
Yeah all of this.

Investigate, do it quickly, make a decision.

I agree with him too.

But they won’t be able to. It’s the precedent that’s been set here - they’ll have to treat everyone in the same way. I still don’t see how Anderson can play in the next test if you apply the same principles.

Robinson’s tweet has almost become a secondary issue now. Everyone will be focusing on how the ECB handles everything that comes out of the woodwork from other players.

And all this from an organisation that thought it was ok to let it’s best players go to a tournament in a country chock full of COVID.

FFS....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
You're quite funny aren't you - my "shame" was a joke, which clearly you didn't get - why would I feel shame for something done by someone who just happens to be born in the same county as me?

As for walking away, no all the while it annoys you i'll stick around, being self righteous! :)

Ahhhhh....a joke you say...?

Righto...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here