Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] Ollie Robinson suspended by ECB

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Far from it, but already Anderson’s “Stuart Broad’s haircut is like a 15 year old lesbians…” I would think is just as offensive to the LGBT community as Robinson’s to whomever took offensive at his sexist comments.

So that’s Robinson and England’s greatest test bowler out too. Anymore for anymore?

Deeply unpleasant and for some very offensive. This is painting the England squad in a very poor light when half of the team have made racist/sexist/homophobic comments on social media.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Far from it, but already Anderson’s “Stuart Broad’s haircut is like a 15 year old lesbians…” I would think is just as offensive to the LGBT community as Robinson’s to whomever took offensive at his sexist comments.

So that’s Robinson and England’s greatest test bowler out too. Anymore for anymore?

In fairness, it did make Broad look like Ellen DeGeneres love child.

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Looking on the bright side, if this continues some of our Sussex youngsters might be playing for England in the next Test. Most of them aren't old enough to be allowed on social media.

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Deeply unpleasant and for some very offensive. This is painting the England squad in a very poor light when half of the team have made racist/sexist/homophobic comments on social media.

You wait till they discover Root's 'most famous supporter' tweets about the opposition country before each match.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
There's a lot of indignation on these boards, and just wonder what the feeling would have been if it had been someone else and not a Sussex player - for example a Burnley footballer - would everyone be jumping to their defence, or having a secret laugh?

The shame is even worse for me, as not only does Robinson represent the county of my birth, but was born in my adoptive county - double shame!

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
This part is a massive leap of faith - how do you know he doesn't still hold the views he spouted as a teenager - I know plenty of people who were nasty pieces of work as a teenager, and guess what still are! Just because he said sorry, he didn't mean it and he doesn't hold those views now, doesn't make it true!

Comes back to the same thing, if you don't want what you think or say to come back and bite you in the ass, then don't put your jaundiced views, joke or not, on social media...
Yes, it is. And yes I don't know the man and yes he may still be the ignorant little scrote that he was back in his youth. In a lot of criminal rehabilitation these days the perpetrators come face-to-face with their victims and say they're sorry - and I guess a proportion of those aren't really sorry but are just saying it because they 'have to'. However I will give Robinson the benefit of the doubt, but mainly because I believe in the essential goodness of human nature.

However if he hasn't changed and more evidence arises that he made similar comments in the last year or so - well that does open a whole new kettle of fish as to whether selection to an English representative side should depend not only sporting ability but also on social behaviour. Despite what I've said I'll admit to being slightly more on the 'punish the ********' side on that - think of Gazza when he was accused of wife-beating. They are role models after all.

KeegansHairPiece

Jan 28, 2016
There's a lot of indignation on these boards, and just wonder what the feeling would have been if it had been someone else and not a Sussex player - for example a Burnley footballer - would everyone be jumping to their defence, or having a secret laugh?

The shame is even worse for me, as not only does Robinson represent the county of my birth, but was born in my adoptive county - double shame!

If it's any help, James Anderson is from Burnley. :shrug:

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Yes, it is. And yes I don't know the man and yes he may still be the ignorant little scrote that he was back in his youth. In a lot of criminal rehabilitation these days the perpetrators come face-to-face with their victims and say they're sorry - and I guess a proportion of those aren't really sorry but are just saying it because they 'have to'. However I will give Robinson the benefit of the doubt, but mainly because I believe in the essential goodness of human nature.

However if he hasn't changed and more evidence arises that he made similar comments in the last year or so - well that does open a whole new kettle of fish as to whether selection to an English representative side should depend not only sporting ability but also on social behaviour. Despite what I've said I'll admit to being slightly more on the 'punish the ********' side on that - think of Gazza when he was accused of wife-beating. They are role models after all.

Agree with much of that - however I have never understood this idea that sportsmen, pop stars or anyone else in the public eye should be role models for the young - many are thick as mince and just happen to be good at something!

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Live_at_the_Witch_Trials.jpg

Burn them with FIRE :flameboun

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
And inevitably some people must be thinking is he sorry about what he said or sorry that he got caught saying it

Steve in Japan

NSC Patron
May 9, 2013
East of Eastbourne
It saddens me to see our cricket and football teams disappearing up their collective arses as they try to re-educate all players on an ever-evolving standard of political correctness. And it's going to continue to it's logical conclusion until we have teams filled with righteous individuals who think the right way (as currently defined), but actually aren't very good at football or cricket.

If I were Ollie Robinson, I'd announce my retirement from international cricket. **** em.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
All totally out of hand now.

If you take this to its logical conclusion all cricket in England should be suspended until everyone has been investigated.

In fact perhaps all sport, in fact perhaps everything......

As I said, this has shades of McCarthyism. Where does the ultimate arbitration lie? Who decides time frames on when things were said? What is and isn’t acceptable? How do we know if those sitting in judgement haven’t been involved in this themselves?

Rather than just telling Robinson off and accepting his apology, the ECB has now opened a massive can of worms which is running out of control. How can Anderson play in the next test for example? Who decides if what he said was ok compared to what Robinson said?

This is a total mess....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
It saddens me to see our cricket and football teams disappearing up their collective arses as they try to re-educate all players on an ever-evolving standard of political correctness. And it's going to continue to it's logical conclusion until we have teams filled with righteous individuals who think the right way (as currently defined), but actually aren't very good at football or cricket.

If I were Ollie Robinson, I'd announce my retirement from international cricket. **** em.

Or we could have a team full of people who don't think it's a good idea to go on social media and crack jokes about Muslims being bombers, or about ejaculating on his girlfriends face when she's sleeping!

Steve in Japan

NSC Patron
May 9, 2013
East of Eastbourne
Or we could have a team full of people who don't think it's a good idea to go on social media and crack jokes about Muslims being bombers, or about ejaculating on his girlfriends face when she's sleeping!

He was 19.

I certainly did and said bloody stupid things and made awful jokes when I was 19, 20, 21. And probably beyond. The only difference is mine aren't immortalised for ever on Twitter.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead

What else though ? Is there a full list somewhere of stuff that cannot have been said in the past on Twitter ? If not, then what’s the plan ? Just make it up as we go along ? Will there be a committee to do the making up as we go along ? What happens if the committee approves something today but then next years committee decides that it was not acceptable after all ? As someone said above; it’s a bloody mess.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
He was 19.

I certainly did and said bloody stupid things and made awful jokes when I was 19, 20, 21. And probably beyond. The only difference is mine aren't immortalised for ever on Twitter.

In some ways it’s a defence, in some ways not. The ages you quote really aren’t that young in terms of having an understanding of things like racism, sexism, homophobia etc.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath

He clearly doesn't think that at this moment in time. He did something at a time when social media was less understood and it was probably inconceivable to him that he'd end up in the public eye.

You're entirely missing the point here, people's problem is with the historic nature of the tweets. Had he tweeted that stuff last week I'm sure everyone would agree to throw the book at him. You seem to think that any level of misdemeanor or slight of character should stick with a person for the rest of their lives.

Steve in Japan

NSC Patron
May 9, 2013
East of Eastbourne
In some ways it’s a defence, in some ways not. The ages you quote really aren’t that young in terms of having an understanding of things like racism, sexism, homophobia etc.

I think it's also fair to say that institutions are now holding people to a very exacting standard, which they are making up as they go along. That wasn't the case 5 years ago.

What can Ollie do now which will allow the ECB to climb down from their high horse? He's already apologised. Are we going to put him in the stocks?

And how can they play Anderson now he's guilty of making a joke?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here