Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] Ollie Robinson suspended by ECB

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Our test team will be a bit short of bowling if Jimmy and Robinson are both suspended. Could be a good time to have a bet on NZ.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Ironically they'll be so caught up in the storm over tweets they'll have no choice but to pick that paragon of virtue Craig Overton

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
I agree with him too.

But they won’t be able to. It’s the precedent that’s been set here - they’ll have to treat everyone in the same way. I still don’t see how Anderson can play in the next test if you apply the same principles.

Robinson’s tweet has almost become a secondary issue now. Everyone will be focusing on how the ECB handles everything that comes out of the woodwork from other players.

And all this from an organisation that thought it was ok to let it’s best players go to a tournament in a country chock full of COVID.

FFS....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yeah agreed.
The problem with zero-tolerance is you seemingly have to take irony/banter/sick humour/casual racism/hate speech and treat them all as the same thing.

It wasn't too long ago when describing something as "gay" was a fairly frequent way to describe something which was weak or pathetic.
I used the expression myself (probably still do).
I considered it as a fairly ironic expression and therefore quite good-natured and certainly not homophobic.
However it was also used in exactly the same way by people who were homophobic.

Anderson's tweet is certainly not something I think he said because of a deep held hatred of the lbgtq community.

It's these nuances which get lost in these matters.

Aug 13, 2020
Darlington
Yeah agreed.
The problem with zero-tolerance is you seemingly have to take irony/banter/sick humour/casual racism/hate speech and treat them all as the same thing.

It wasn't too long ago when describing something as "gay" was a fairly frequent way to describe something which was weak or pathetic.
I used the expression myself (probably still do).
I considered it as a fairly ironic expression and therefore quite good-natured and certainly not homophobic.
However it was also used in exactly the same way by people who were homophobic.

Anderson's tweet is certainly not something I think he said because of a deep held hatred of the lbgtq community.

It's these nuances which get lost in these matters.

I've not seen any serious suggestion that Anderson is going to be suspended for the test tomorrow.
I have seen that they may consider omitting one of him or Broad in order to give match experience to a wider number of players, but that idea's been doing the rounds for weeks. It's probably less likely given Stokes isn't available to act as a fifth bowler.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
I've not seen any serious suggestion that Anderson is going to be suspended for the test tomorrow.
I have seen that they may consider omitting one of him or Broad in order to give match experience to a wider number of players, but that idea's been doing the rounds for weeks. It's probably less likely given Stokes isn't available to act as a fifth bowler.

Maybe not, but his tweet is in a similar vein to the ones Robinson has been suspended for.
I don't believe any of those tweets came from a discriminatory standpoint.

Although I think Robinson's misogynistic tweets were far more offensive than the ones considered to be racist, mainly because they did show a disturbing (but not unusual) point of view.

Aug 13, 2020
Darlington
Maybe not, but his tweet is in a similar vein to the ones Robinson has been suspended for.
I don't believe any of those tweets came from a discriminatory standpoint.

Although I think Robinson's misogynistic tweets were far more offensive than the ones considered to be racist, mainly because they did show a disturbing (but not unusual) point of view.

I wouldn't say his tweet was in the same vein, so much as it was sunbathing in the garden of a house a couple of streets away.

I would be entirely relaxed about repeating the content of Anderson's tweet in my office or in front of any of my friends. It's quoted verbatim in most articles referring to it, and while you might not get that sort of joke on a BBC panel show now, it's still broadcastable, and you definitely could have heard it on TV at the time it was written. I'm sure some people could take offence from it, but it's nowhere near the level of Robinson's tweets.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
You're quite funny aren't you - my "shame" was a joke, which clearly you didn't get - why would I feel shame for something done by someone who just happens to be born in the same county as me?

As for walking away, no all the while it annoys you i'll stick around, being self righteous! :)

As I'm occasionally minded to post in situations like these, I salute your indefatigability ??? :wink: :thumbsup:

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
I wouldn't say his tweet was in the same vein, so much as it was sunbathing in the garden of a house a couple of streets away.

I would be entirely relaxed about repeating the content of Anderson's tweet in my office or in front of any of my friends. It's quoted verbatim in most articles referring to it, and while you might not get that sort of joke on a BBC panel show now, it's still broadcastable, and you definitely could have heard it on TV at the time it was written. I'm sure some people could take offence from it, but it's nowhere near the level of Robinson's tweets.

But unless you are a 15 year old lesbian you can’t know of the degree of offense taken over that tweet. That is the road we are now on.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011

Pretty sure a Jimmy Carr or Frankie Boyle would be making similarly inappropriate (but much better) jokes today.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
We're not though, are we? Because Anderson hasn't been suspended and nobody in the game's said he should be.

The point I was making is that he should be suspended. The ECB has no workable criteria for which tweets should incur suspension and which shouldn’t. Why is making jokes about the haircuts of 15 year old lesbians fine but other historical tweets not fine ? Body image is enormously important to youngsters and such a tweet undermines mental health. Ban him/stone him/something if we are going down this path as anything else is hypocritical.

Aug 13, 2020
Darlington
The point I was making is that he should be suspended. The ECB has no workable criteria for which tweets should incur suspension and which shouldn’t. Why is making jokes about the haircuts of 15 year old lesbians fine but other historical tweets not fine ? Body image is enormously important to youngsters and such a tweet undermines mental health. Ban him/stone him/something if we are going down this path as anything else is hypocritical.

Let's be clear about this, is your actual point that Anderson should be suspended, or that Robinson shouldn't be?

That sort of logical absolutism is so obviously absurd I struggle to believe you think it's a decent argument yourself. We all make judgements all the time about what language is acceptable in what context, how an audience will react to a joke, what subjects are appropriate at a given time.

There'll never be universal agreement over exactly where that line sits, and for that matter it shifts all the time. But that doesn't mean it doesn't exist. I've been in jobs where people use the word c*** quite happily, and in context it was fine. I'm fully aware that if I used that language in another setting I'd (rightly) be brought up on it.

People regularly disagree vehemently with proper legal decisions, maybe because somebody done for murder was acting in self defence, that doesn't make those laws any less valid.

If you really can't understand the difference between Anderson's and Robinson's tweets, try typing "lesbian haircut" into Google, and compare the results with what comes up if you search for "n*****".

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Let's be clear about this, is your actual point that Anderson should be suspended, or that Robinson shouldn't be?

That sort of logical absolutism is so obviously absurd I struggle to believe you think it's a decent argument yourself. We all make judgements all the time about what language is acceptable in what context, how an audience will react to a joke, what subjects are appropriate at a given time.

There'll never be universal agreement over exactly where that line sits, and for that matter it shifts all the time. But that doesn't mean it doesn't exist. I've been in jobs where people use the word c*** quite happily, and in context it was fine. I'm fully aware that if I used that language in another setting I'd (rightly) be brought up on it.

People regularly disagree vehemently with proper legal decisions, maybe because somebody done for murder was acting in self defence, that doesn't make those laws any less valid.

If you really can't understand the difference between Anderson's and Robinson's tweets, try typing "lesbian haircut" into Google, and compare the results with what comes up if you search for "n*****".

You have illustrated my point perfectly, thank you. This is all subjective and frankly your views on the acceptability of some historical tweets and the unacceptability of others are neither here nor there. In fact they are about as relevant as those of any individual within the ECB. If you don’t think a tweet offends that doesn’t mean that it doesn’t offend. If we were discussing tweets made last week I would imagine most people could agree. We aren’t. We are trying to apply the values and context of a grown man in 2021 to those of a teenager in 2012.

Aug 13, 2020
Darlington
You have illustrated my point perfectly, thank you. This is all subjective and frankly your views on the acceptability of some historical tweets and the unacceptability of others are neither here nor there. In fact they are about as relevant as those of any individual within the ECB.

Except the ECB are paying both Anderson's and Robinson's wages, and are at least vaguely responsible for the wellbeing of cricketers across the country and the image of the game.

KeegansHairPiece

Jan 28, 2016
Except the ECB are paying both Anderson's and Robinson's wages, and are at least vaguely responsible for the wellbeing of cricketers across the country and the image of the game.

This is true, and interestingly one cricketer made inappropriate comments on social media while under contract with the ECB as an England player representing their country, while another made inappropriate social posts 9 years in the past before they were even a professional cricketer.

If they've suspended Robinson pending investigation, then I cannot see how they cannot also be suspending Anderson, Buttler and Morgan pending the same investigations. The results may well mean different punishments or no punishments for whatever is deemed more inappropriate or offensive, but you cannot come up with a rule for one, then not apply it to others.

I don't like any of the tweets. I don't like what Robinson has said. None of what I've posted on this thread is in defence of Robinson or any other player. For me this is about PR damage limitation exercise made on the hoof that uses a stance against a player to look like the ECB has a tough policy and line. Not acting on the other tweets basically says we decide in a back room who does and doesn't face punishment, and it's done without policy direction, specific criteria or established conditions. Shambles.

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia

I don't think so , James Anderson appears to have a contract with the ECB but Robinson doesn't , currently on salary with SCCC and only being payed appearance fees for playing for England

https://www.ecb.co.uk/england/men/n...land-mens-central-contracts-for-202021-season

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here