Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] Ollie Robinson suspended by ECB

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Michael Holding treats the issue with a straight bat that the ECB should copy. Complete common sense.

Aug 13, 2020
Darlington
Michael Holding treats the issue with a straight bat that the ECB should copy. Complete common sense.

What they're doing is almost exactly what he suggests that video.

They will have to go through his whole social media history (however big that might be) to see what else he's posted in the past. They'll have to speak to him to find out his views on it. They'll also have to repeat the exercise of going through everybody else in the squad's social media accounts, since it makes no sense to announce they've given Robinson a one match ban if somebody else in the team turns out to have said something worse a week later.

There's about 20 odd centrally contracted players they should be doing that for, plus whoever else is in or around the squad. That takes time.

If they don't find anything since he was 19 or so and then still ban him for some ridiculous period, then I can see why people might complain. It doesn't make any sense to moan about the process before they've reached a conclusion.

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
What Michael Holding said!

KeegansHairPiece

Jan 28, 2016

They will have to go through his whole social media history (however big that might be) to see what else he's posted in the past. They'll have to speak to him to find out his views on it. They'll also have to repeat the exercise of going through everybody else in the squad's social media accounts, since it makes no sense to announce they've given Robinson a one match ban if somebody else in the team turns out to have said something worse a week later.

There's about 20 odd centrally contracted players they should be doing that for, plus whoever else is in or around the squad. That takes time.

If they don't find anything since he was 19 or so and then still ban him for some ridiculous period, then I can see why people might complain. It doesn't make any sense to moan about the process before they've reached a conclusion.

I makes perfect sense to moan about the fact there is no process in place - this is being made up on the hoof. They have been caught with their pants down, hand in the cookie jar, call it what you will.

It is frankly ridiculous that in 2021, the ECB doesn't have a clear policy in place for what is acceptable for a player's background and history. You would think a cap comes with at least a questionaire and some background checks - clearly not. If there was a clear policy, Im pretty sure it would have been stated by now that under 2.1.5 of the Players Guide, Code or whatever, OR is suspended for a game for breach of that policy.

It takes time when you haven't got this kind of thing in place already - which I have to say is flabberghasting given they are facing their own charges of institutional racism. I have no idea why the ECB are being given such leeway on this.

KeegansHairPiece

Jan 28, 2016
Racial discrimination isn't always a one way street. A few years ago white farmers were driven off their land to be given to be given to the local black population under Mugabe's government in Zimbabwe .The economy took a hit from this as well.
Probably a bit late for a taking of the knee at sports grounds on this issue though.

Surely only someone of great ignorance could or would think it can only be a one way street.

I thought taking the knee was against discrimination in all it's forms?

Aug 13, 2020
Darlington
I makes perfect sense to moan about the fact there is no process in place - this is being made up on the hoof. They have been caught with their pants down, hand in the cookie jar, call it what you will.

It is frankly ridiculous that in 2021, the ECB doesn't have a clear policy in place for what is acceptable for a player's background and history. You would think a cap comes with at least a questionaire and some background checks - clearly not. If there was a clear policy, Im pretty sure it would have been stated by now that under 2.1.5 of the Players Guide, Code or whatever, OR is suspended for a game for breach of that policy.

It takes time when you haven't got this kind of thing in place already - which I have to say is flabberghasting given they are facing their own charges of institutional racism. I have no idea why the ECB are being given such leeway on this.

Believe me, if there's one thing that I'm not arguing, it's that the ECB are remotely competent. I've posted previously on this thread that it's ridiculous that they weren't aware of this before and that serious questions need to be raised about what the hell they've been doing this whole time. But having got to this point, there's no point in complaining that they've not reached a full conclusion within 6 days or that they're being over harsh before they've announced that conclusion.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

This.

Aug 13, 2020
Darlington
I don't.

I also suspect there may well have been equally worse said in the Lords Long Room over the years so none of this sorry pitch-forking seems right to me.

It's remarkable how many people who normally have no interest in cricket have suddenly decided they have an interest in this.

Anyway, whether anybody has used the N word in the Lord's long room over the last 10, 20 or 50 years is hardly relevant. That's not the standard that anybody, involved in the game or not, should be holding themselves to.

There's maybe one person on this thread who's argued in favour of Robinson being severely punished for this. If there's any pitch-fork wielding mobs to be fought they aren't here. They weren't at Lord's during the match he continued to play in, and they won't be at Hove or at any other ground in the country whenever he next plays :shrug:

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Morgan, Anderson and Buttler next under the spotlight as deeply unpleasent historic tweets by them have now emerged. I doubt we'll be able to pick a team for the India series the way we're going.

:nono:

KeegansHairPiece

Jan 28, 2016
Morgan, Anderson and Buttler next under the spotlight as deeply unpleasent historic tweets by them have now emerged. I doubt we'll be able to pick a team for the India series the way we're going.

:nono:

They’ll have no other choice to but to suspend every player with an historical tweet now they’ve set the precedent with Robinson.

They are clueless. They couldnt have handled this worse if they tried.

Good luck getting a side out for the next test.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
It's remarkable how many people who normally have no interest in cricket have suddenly decided they have an interest in this.

Anyway, whether anybody has used the N word in the Lord's long room over the last 10, 20 or 50 years is hardly relevant. That's not the standard that anybody, involved in the game or not, should be holding themselves to.

There's maybe one person on this thread who's argued in favour of Robinson being severely punished for this. If there's any pitch-fork wielding mobs to be fought they aren't here. They weren't at Lord's during the match he continued to play in, and they won't be at Hove or at any other ground in the country whenever he next plays :shrug:
I have a passing interest because it is a thread on NSC. If it hadn't been mentioned here I doubt I'd even think about it. :shrug:

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Okay, but this wasn’t my intention. I merely suggested there needs to be “some” punitive element which is quite different to hang ‘em and flag ‘em??

It's indicative of a mindset though. Robinson's a Wrong 'Un who did a Bad Thing and therefore must be Punished. Punitive tariffs are handed out for two reasons: so society can get its revenge and so that if the offender is seen to be punished it will act as a deterrent to others. I'm sure you're well aware that, whatever the crime, the 'deterrent' aspect has never stopped others from committing the same crimes throughout the whole of recorded human history.

That will be the case here. Banning Robinson from playing cricket is revenge pure and simple. It will not make one iota of difference to people's racist attitudes, if anything it could strengthen them as some people will see it as another example of 'woke snowflakery' and may make them dig their heels in and perhaps boo footballers taking the knee as a way of pushing back. (Yes, that's also a bollocks response as well, but we're not talking about the Brains of Britain here).

A more enlightened approach would be something like having Robinson tour schools. youth clubs etc and say that what he did was wrong, why it was wrong, and why he no longer thinks like that. And like with all more progressive approaches I'm sure there will be people unhappy with that and think that it's not a real punishment. However it's moot now as we've gone 'old school'. He's read out his apology at Assembly, the headmaster has given him six of the best in front of the whole school, people are nodding and saying he got what he deserved and we as a society have gone nowhere.

EDIT: Just to add I'd assumed originally you were in favour of the ban. If you too feel that it was the wrong approach then apologies.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
They’ll have no other choice to but to suspend every player with an historical tweet now they’ve set the precedent with Robinson.

They are clueless. They couldnt have handled this worse if they tried.

Good luck getting a side out for the next test.

What, all the England test cricketers have a propensity for racist sexist social media comments? Crikey, that would be really bad luck wouldn't it, finding a squad full of idiots!

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
It's indicative of a mindset though. Robinson's a Wrong 'Un who did a Bad Thing and therefore must be Punished. Punitive tariffs are handed out for two reasons: so society can get its revenge and so that if the offender is seen to be punished it will act as a deterrent to others. I'm sure you're well aware that, whatever the crime, the 'deterrent' aspect has never stopped others from committing the same crimes throughout the whole of recorded human history.

That will be the case here. Banning Robinson from playing cricket is revenge pure and simple. It will not make one iota of difference to people's racist attitudes, if anything it could strengthen them as some people will see it as another example of 'woke snowflakery' and may make them dig their heels in and perhaps boo footballers taking the knee as a way of pushing back. (Yes, that's also a bollocks response as well, but we're not talking about the Brains of Britain here).

A more enlightened approach would be something like having Robinson tour schools. youth clubs etc and say that what he did was wrong, why it was wrong, and why he no longer thinks like that. And like with all more progressive approaches I'm sure there will be people unhappy with that and think that it's not a real punishment. However it's moot now as we've gone 'old school'. He's read out his apology at Assembly, the headmaster has given him six of the best in front of the whole school, people are nodding and saying he got what he deserved and we as a society have gone nowhere.

EDIT: Just to add I'd assumed originally you were in favour of the ban. If you too feel that it was the wrong approach then apologies.

This part is a massive leap of faith - how do you know he doesn't still hold the views he spouted as a teenager - I know plenty of people who were nasty pieces of work as a teenager, and guess what still are! Just because he said sorry, he didn't mean it and he doesn't hold those views now, doesn't make it true!

Comes back to the same thing, if you don't want what you think or say to come back and bite you in the ass, then don't put your jaundiced views, joke or not, on social media...

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
The England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) has confirmed it is currently investigating "a number of historical social media posts by other individuals" in the England set-up.

Fast bowler*Ollie Robinson was ruled out of England's second Test against New Zealand*starting at Edgbaston on Thursday after historical sexist and racist tweets came to light last week when he made his Test debut at Lord's.

The ECB*is also investigating a second England cricketer for historical "offensive" social media posts.
‐-----------
Best get my pads out of the loft, might get a callup at this rate.

KeegansHairPiece

Jan 28, 2016
What, all the England test cricketers have a propensity for racist sexist social media comments? Crikey, that would be really bad luck wouldn't it, finding a squad full of idiots!

Far from it, but already Anderson’s “Stuart Broad’s haircut is like a 15 year old lesbians…” I would think is just as offensive to the LGBT community as Robinson’s to whomever took offensive at his sexist comments.

So that’s Robinson and England’s greatest test bowler out too. Anymore for anymore?

KeegansHairPiece

Jan 28, 2016

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here