Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] Ollie Robinson suspended by ECB

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Ok. So it seems that you...and many others posting on this thread admit to these thoughts and sayings etc when you were younger (i'e. with being immature as the excuse ).

So the only difference between you and Ollie Robinson is "stupidity"..! This applies to a number of posters on here calling for him to be hung drawn and quartered.....just for starters.

Now call me out if you want to, but in this day and age (2021) I think casual racism is far more offensive than "stupidity".

Both ironically can be cured by maturity ..( and nearly always is ). Neither, I believe will be cured by punishment.

However...

Education , education , education... I much prefer this.

II grew up in an environment that was a breeding ground. I remember an adult telling me that if 'I saw the white in a black man's eyes' I should run. I remember a teacher telling me a racist joke. I remember playing football with another group of kids when one of their dad's turned on a passing person of colour for no apparent reason. But, above all, I remember the aura of the time which infects a child with cultural attitudes that take some time to be noticed. And, yes, I heard it on the terraces, and even from someone close to the Albion set up (by which time I had started to feel uncomfortable with it).

But it took years to undo. I often wonder if I, or indeed anyone from the time, will ever be fully free of it. As John Barnes once said, referring to folk of all colours, 'We are all sub-conscious racists'.

It's not so much about about education. If grown, mature, adults need educating by now then something must be wrong. It's a willingness to change. That was a journey of understanding I embarked upon in my mid-twenties, and now, years later, I know that I am a person who not only understands prejudice but despises it. But that's not enough for me. It's about living it too. Trying to be a witness to it in life, in deed as well as attitude.

I was once infected with racial ignorance. I told this to much younger manager and friend in my work place in a general conversation about race issues. They felt I was being too critical of myself because I'm just not that sort of person, quite the opposite. I took that as a compliment to show how far my understanding had come.

So now I don't use hypocrisy in my assessments. And what I see here is hypocrisy. Reconciliation comes when folk lay down their cards. But it concerns me that, in a bid to keep their own cards, some folk are happy to sit on a righteous high perch and throw young and naive people under the bus. That is the hypocrisy I despise. I hope in their judgements their conscience haunts them.

Last edited:

Aug 13, 2020
Darlington
Yes, hence I said the quality of his debut was irrelevant. He could have had a poor debut, not taken the wickets but due another chance in the next test. Let's take his ability as a cricketer out of it and look at the punishment. Plenty of players only get 1 or 2 test matches, so this punishment COULD end a career. I'm not saying that will be the case with Ollie, but as said that's irrelevant really.

It'll only end his career if England have better bowlers available. Since fast bowlers have a survival rate somewhere between Second World War bomber pilots and u-boat captains, a bowler is pretty much guaranteed to get another opportunity if they're good enough. If they're not then it's not really an issue.

He could equally have played in the next match, twisted his ankle and never played again for that reason, we'll never know. The ECB can only give the punishment they deem fit. If that's one match for, effectively, bringing the game into disrepute (which he's pretty unarguably done, like it or not) then that's the punishment they have to bring. There's no point getting tied up with what could have been.

Last edited:

KeegansHairPiece

Jan 28, 2016
It'll only end his career if England have better bowlers available. Since fast bowlers have a survival rate somewhere between Second World War bomber pilots and u-boat captains, a bowler is pretty much guaranteed to get another opportunity if they're good enough. If they're not then it's not really an issue.

He could equally have played in the next match, twisted his ankle and never played again for that reason, we'll never know. The ECB can only give the punishment they deem fit. If that's one match for, effectively, bringing the game into disrepute (which he's pretty unarguably done, like it or not) then that's the punishment they have to bring. There's no point getting tied up with what could have been.

The consequences of a punishment I think have to be measured against the impact to the player, so the ECB have chosen a 1 match ban because it is quite severe, it could impact his future selections and England career. If you're saying it isn't punitive because missing a game is largely part and parcel of the game - then it's not really a punishment is it? For me, a fine, a suspended ban, and a commitment to embark on some 'training' would have been more appropriate, and perhaps if you're saying a 1 game ban isn't that bad, perhaps that's even harsher?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I feel sorry for Sussex here.

If Robinson's views have changed then that must be due in part to the inclusive environment he has lived and worked in since joining the county, including playing alongside a teammate like Jofra Archer. Sussex have helped a young man mature, yet now he is returning to the county with a racist tag he may never shrug off. Who knows what the long-term effects might be for him and for Sussex?

Aug 13, 2020
Darlington
The consequences of a punishment I think have to be measured against the impact to the player, so the ECB have chosen a 1 match ban because it is quite severe, it could impact his future selections and England career. If you're saying it isn't punitive because missing a game is largely part and parcel of the game - then it's not really a punishment is it? For me, a fine, a suspended ban, and a commitment to embark on some 'training' would have been more appropriate, and perhaps if you're saying a 1 game ban isn't that bad, perhaps that's even harsher?

To be clear, unless I've missed something, the ECB haven't banned him for a game or decided on his punishment. He's under suspension until they do, so he'll miss the next game, and presumably that game will count towards any ban they do decide on.

Nobody would ever want to miss a game, so there is definitely a punitive element to being banned for a single match. But if that is all they hand down then it's not the unreasonably harsh measure that might be assumed from the reaction in some quarters.

I'm not sure what value additional "training" has really, unless there is a suggestion that he is currently ignorant or holds racist views. From what I've seen, he made a number of posts/jokes that were extremely poor taste (whether out of ignorance or anything more malicious), moved on with his life and forgot about them. I'm sure we can always stand to learn more, but that's the case for everybody whether we've had a light shone on our less happy past or not. Unless there's anybody on here who happens to know him personally, we're not in a position to make that judgement.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
I wonder what historic tweets the papers have unearthed and got lined up ready for publication on Sunday morning ahead of the England / Coatia game?

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
One thing I don't get about this.

Robinson posted some unacceptable material on-line nearly ten years ago.
They exist; we have seen them and Robinson has admitted that he posted them.
He has apologised, and says that he has learned better since those days.
These are the facts; nobody is disputing them....................

.......... so wtf are they 'investigating'? All they have to do is decide what action to take, punitive, educational or whatever.

Kaiser_Soze

Who is Kaiser Soze??
Apr 14, 2008
BBC lunchtime news mentioned that the ECB are now looking at historical social media posts made by another player.

The tweet is mocking someone for going out with somebody who is asian and includes a hastag, a well known slur on chinese people. In completely unrelated news, Dom Bess deactivated his twitter account yesterday.

Aug 13, 2020
Darlington

.......... so wtf are they 'investigating'? All they have to do is decide what action to take, punitive, educational or whatever.

Presumably, since they were unaware of the original posts, they are making sure there isn't anything else they're still not aware of that needs to be considered.

I assume they'll be checking with Robinson to see what, if any, training is necessary and whether there are any mitigating or aggravating factors.

They'll have to consider what an appropriate action is, which for all manner of reasons isn't entirely straightforward.

I expect they also, from a cynical point of view, are deliberately dragging it out to make sure there's no suggestion that he could or should be brought back into the squad for the Edgbaston test.

KeegansHairPiece

Jan 28, 2016

The investigated is:
1. Why haven't we got a process in place to establish a player's social media history?
2. Why haven't we educated players on their social media history and expected professional conduct?
3. Why don't we have a rigorous disciplinary procedure in place for this type of thing?
4. Why did we launch an inclusive equality campaign without ensuring our own house is in order?
5. How do we deal with this when it was so long ago?

There are some fundamental questions this case highlights that goes right to the core of the ECB. Let's not forget they're fending off claims of institutional racism by John Holder and Ismail Dawood.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
The investigated is:
1. Why haven't we got a process in place to establish a player's social media history?
2. Why haven't we educated players on their social media history and expected professional conduct?
3. Why don't we have a rigorous disciplinary procedure in place for this type of thing?
4. Why did we launch an inclusive equality campaign without ensuring our own house is in order?

...all of the above plus, "Has anyone got the receipt for those t-shirts?"

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
The investigated is:

There are some fundamental questions this case highlights that goes right to the core of the ECB. Let's not forget they're fending off claims of institutional racism by John Holder and Ismail Dawood.

That's not investigation into Robinson's case.

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea

Because they mucked up, they are showing they are taking it really really seriously and contemplating the situation long and hard and the odd spot of luncheon

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here