Olives. Yay or nay?

Are olives nasty little clag-nuts?

• Total voters

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
This is Simster, this is:

"Oooh, lah-de-dah, look at me I've got a little olive on a stick floating about in my £10 half-a-mouthful cocktail, aren't I quite the HEIGHT of socialite sophistication ? Look, I've even got my little PINKIE pointing out at a jaunty angle"

*simper*
True story: When I was five I went to a friend's party. I started tucking into all the party food on the table (not that the kid's parents noticed) and by the time the party games outside ended for a food break, I has been sick from eating too much. Mum picked up to take me home, all rather embarrassed.

Anyway that's you now, that is.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Salt content? Only if they have been pickled in brine shirley?

Have stuffed myself silly with Olives of various sorts over the years, it has already been mentioned but green olives with anchovies are perfick....:drool:

Mind you I didn't like them as a Child :cool:

A doctor at the hospital told me to avoid olives-in fact, he said eat no more but what do they know? I think olives have to sit in brine for a few weeks otherwise they'd be hard and inedible. Who cares-they taste great and black olives on pizza, now there's a healthy snack...

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Some people eat cheap cheddar and pineapple sticks or make a beeline for stale Cheese and Onion crisps (otherwise known as commoners/losers/the lowest denominator). Winners make their way towards the inviting bowl of olives.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
I love olives but not over keen on the stuffed ones. I've even converted my 18 yr old daughter.

Stuffed vine leaves are something else I would have hated 20 years ago but love them now.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Some people eat cheap cheddar and pineapple sticks or make a beeline for stale Cheese and Onion crisps (otherwise known as commoners/losers/the lowest denominator). Winners make their way towards the inviting bowl of olives.

Very true. I think we are talking about poor people, aren't we?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Having been so badly owned on this thread I reckon HKFC will be trying another little nibble at an olive tonight.

When I came to Spain someone told me if you don't like olives just eat 10, then you will.

I didn't, so I did, and now I do. But normal ones, not those jobbies with the bits in the middle.

In fact, time for a few with a rum and coke on the balcony now, methinks

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
There are hundreds and thousands of different types of olives ranging three all number of colours between black and green. Personally the wrinkled black ones remind me of cockroaches (my old cat used to think they were cockroaches and played with them as if they were alive) but the big green olives are gorgeous. U cant write them off without trying all of them.

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
Absolutely love them, olives and feta cheese :drool:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cypriot-Seagull

Jul 15, 2011
Somewhere in Cyprus
Seems like a lot of you like olives so....
Would anyone like to help me and the misses pick our olive trees! We've got 350 ish trees to pick.
Picking starting next week. Ideally want to have them all picked by end of the month. This is a genuine request so if anyone is in the Limassol area next week ( unlikey i know ) let me know to arrange.

Would anyone like to help me and the misses pick our olive trees! We've got 350 ish trees to pick.
Picking starting next week. Ideally want to have them all picked by end of the month. This is a genuine request so if anyone is in the Limassol area next week ( unlikey i know ) let me know to arrange.

Don't you have a co-operative to do that for you? Most people here don't pick their own olives, a couple of old boys come and do it sleeping in a barn for a few days, then they take them all down to the co-operative and bring back the money a few weeks later.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009

I'd better get a move on with mine then, just the 4 but the main one, just like our superstar is from Valencia...my first harvest, not many but going to give it a go...read that need to soak in brine changed daily for a week then leave in same brine for a month...sound right??

Cypriot-Seagull

Jul 15, 2011
Somewhere in Cyprus
Don't you have a co-operative to do that for you? Most people here don't pick their own olives, a couple of old boys come and do it sleeping in a barn for a few days, then they take them all down to the co-operative and bring back the money a few weeks later.
Yep we do have a similar system but because our land is located outside the local jurisdiction allowed for such services ( and is private land) we have to do it ourselves.
Besides its more fun especially with the right company.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here