Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Old Away Scheme member......

Pretty shoddy of the club to do this I reckon and I would have expected better.

Lifetime means lifetime of the scheme? Yeah right... well wriggled.

But the old scheme wasn't that great anyway. They managed to 'lose' my sisters membership from the computer system so she had to enroll twice, so I'm sure she'll be happy to pay yet another tenner for a further lifetime membership.

Why don't they just be upfront and say it's an annual fee, or a 5 yearly fee?

Still as everyone says 'it's only a tenner'...

No, it's only a tenner IF YOU COULDN'T BE ARSED TO FILL THE FORM IN WITHIN THE PERIOD OF TIME THEY GAVE YOU TO DO IT FOR NOTHING!

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
Please don't waste the club's time, they have enough on their plate without someone foolishly taking them to the small claims court.

I never remember reading the Away membership scheme was "Free for life", if they really wanted to they could charge us all £10 a year but they don't. Just pay the £10 and get over it.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
I don't think it's to do with being arsed to fill in a form though...

It's a tenner for people who had no idea of a cut off date or that they had to reapply for membership. Our was it just a few unlucky ones who weren't sent a renewal form...

I don't think it's to with being arsed though...

It's a tenner for people who had no idea of a cut off date...

It was advertised by the club on the website as well as in the Argus, match programmes and announced at matches. As it's a scheme for fans I'd say that was extensive enough to reach the people that they needed to. It was also discussed at length on here, although yes I know not everyone comes here. If people go to away games regularly and therefore the AMS is important to them then I am sure that they should have seen either the website, club shop, argus or been to a home game to have seen this news. If not, in the months that they had to do so, then I have no sympathy as they can't really be that bothered about going to games can they?

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
For f*** sake.

The whole idea is that the membership is for the people who actually give a toss and go to games, those they are moaning are obviously more f***ing bothered about a tenner than the possible future of this club.

At the end of the day if it means that much, don't pay and don't become and away member, take your chance and pay on the day. And to be honest it isn't worth becoming a 'white' member anyway as if we do get a big game the tickets will be swallowed up by gold members anyway

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I think he has a point, why didn't the club make all ams members white members automatically. Without seeing the new form, what other information does the club need other than name and address anyway.

The small claims court threat is ott, but I understand his argument.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
It was advertised by the club on the website as well as in the Argus, match programmes and announced at matches. As it's a scheme for fans I'd say that was extensive enough to reach the people that they needed to. It was also discussed at length on here, although yes I know not everyone comes here. If people go to away games regularly and therefore the AMS is important to them then I am sure that they should have seen either the website, club shop, argus or been to a home game to have seen this news. If not, in the months that they had to do so, then I have no sympathy as they can't really be that bothered about going to games can they?

Well there you have it...

I get the argus everyday and didn't see it... don't buy match programs though so perhaps that was our mistake, and unluckily we sit in seats where the PA is but a whisper...

But it's only a tenner of course , and the club breaking it's word to the fans and spinning some sorry line about lifetime membership not actually meaning lifetime membership. Wouldn't have expected this from this board or regime to be perfectly honest.

I think he has a point, why didn't the club make all ams members white members automatically. Without seeing the new form, what other information does the club need other than name and address anyway.

The small claims court threat is ott, but I understand his argument.

The point was that we had several thousand AMS members that joined either as part of the play off ticket scramble or as part of the Spurs/West Ham cup games. The club wanted to slim that number down again to fans that go regularly to avoid the fiasco that we get when we draw a big name in the cup.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Well there you have it...

I get the argus everyday and didn't see it... don't buy match programs though so perhaps that was our mistake, and unluckily we sit in seats where the PA is but a whisper...

But it's only a tenner of course , and the club breaking it's word to the fans and spinning some sorry line about lifetime membership not actually meaning lifetime membership. Wouldn't have expected this from this board or regime to be perfectly honest.

Excuses excuses.

What was the club suppose to do....spend a fortune sending all 40,000 members a letter ?

And if you don't read the programme, or hear the announcements or read the argus, how would you ever find out about away tickets anyway ?

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Excuses excuses.

What was the club suppose to do....spend a fortune sending all 40,000 members a letter ?

And if you don't read the programme, or hear the announcements or read the argus, how would you ever find out about away tickets anyway ?

The club is happy enough to regularly write to me when they want to push some deal or need some cash - I'm obviously on some mailing list. I would have thought they could have done the same with this. Still it's only a tenner.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
why didn't the club make all ams members white members automatically.

Because they want to get rid of the majority of the 46,000 gloryseekers who go to f*** all away games, and only appear out of the woodwork for West Ham/Spurs/Swindon play-off games, and instead give those who can be arsed to watch the Albion away a slightly higher chance of a ticket.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
The club is happy enough to regularly write to me when they want to push some deal or need some cash - I'm obviously on some mailing list. I would have thought they could have done the same with this. Still it's only a tenner.

But they know you're a regular or semi-regular customer.

To mail 40,000-odd AMS members would have cost about £20,000. So they're trying to reach those who are regular customers rather than the once-in-a-lifetime Cardiff-goers. In other words, those who wil actually bother.

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada

To mail 40,000-odd AMS members would have cost about £20,000. So they're trying to reach those who are regular customers rather than the once-in-a-lifetime Cardiff-goers. In other words, those who wil actually bother.

Spot on:thumbsup:

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove

OK that's fair enough I suppose.

Actually that raises an interesting question if we get to Wembley this year or next in the playoffs. Surely they will insist on these Cardiff goers purchasing another 'lifetime' membership. Why not just be honest and drop the lifetime claim?

Although I'm sure many don't agree, my view is still that what has happened is wrong and I actually expected them to honour previous commitments. The club needs the fans at times, as shown by their mailshots, perhaps they should show a bit of loyalty back.

Last edited:

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
The argument that it is a way of filtering out all the 'dead wood' on the system, still doesn't explain why they need to charge £10 for renewal.

What would be wrong with saying, you can upgrade your old Away membership to the new white membership at any time for free but it will take 3 weeks for it to come into affect.

This would ensure the big game charlies can't just renew and get a ticket, when we draw someone good in the cup.

The club is just trying to make a few quid with this whole thing and it's pathetic to say the least.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
The argument that it is a way of filtering out all the 'dead wood' on the system, still doesn't explain why they need to charge £10 for renewal.

What would be wrong with saying, you can upgrade your old Away membership to the new white membership at any time for free but it will take 3 weeks for it to come into affect.

This would ensure the big game charlies can't just renew and get a ticket, when we draw someone good in the cup.

The club is just trying to make a few quid with this whole thing and it's pathetic to say the least.

Very good point. Why isn't it possible to upgrade an AMS membership at any time? Surely no 'dead wood' would ever register for the new scheme and so the reasons for introducing it would be met. Why do they have to charge the extra tenner ( only! ) ?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Most of the dead wood would probably re-register if it was a freebie - might as well after all, you never know, we might get Arsenal away in January.

But only the more LOYAL dead wood would bother to pay a tenner to re-register.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here