Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Lord Bamber

Legendary Chairman
Feb 23, 2009
Heaven
I have a compulsory 14 miler from Corals on Sunday morning at 9am in a group. Not looking for any sympathy but best wishes to all and Lord Bamber who I am sure will be out there on Sunday. I just need to up the tempo on the ipod and think of the hot bath afterwards.

Did you get to go out this morning or did the weather put paid to the run? My injury is coming along, gentle walking this morning on treadmill led to light jogging so things starting to look up.

Happy running. :thumbsup:

Lord Bamber

Legendary Chairman
Feb 23, 2009
Heaven
Sorry to hear about your injury Lord B. At least you did it early enough to recover and still get some decent training in!

Did you buy one of those Errea running vests in the end? As they now have decent water packs, I'm going to ditch my Camelbak for Brighton, and therefore want to be seen in my resplendent best Albion colours.

Unless you have bought (or anyone else) and dont like, will get one. Wasnt, though, sure whether to go for the Sprint in light blue, or Sun in white? Am leaning towards Sprint in light blue.Decisions! Decisions!

Cheers buddy, as said above, light jogging with core & weights coupled with a lot of work on the spin bike is helping.

I ordered mine last week and went for the Albion Blue version which if I like i was then going to get the white one. I am also going to go to the club shop and get some lettering put on. Will post when it arrives which should be the next couple of days.

:thumbsup:

South Stand Bonfire

Who lit that match then?
NSC Patron
Jan 24, 2009
Shoreham-a-la-mer
I was all dressed ready for it but the decision was due to the icy pavements to do a one hour intensive gym session instead for the 3 of us that turned up. As I had leggings, over trousers and a winter top on, it got a bit sweaty in there! Will do a long run whilst listening to the footy next Saturday afternoon. Glad your injury is improving and I am sure a rest will do it good.

Did you get to go out this morning or did the weather put paid to the run? My injury is coming along, gentle walking this morning on treadmill led to light jogging so things starting to look up.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I was all dressed ready for it but the decision was due to the icy pavements to do a one hour intensive gym session instead for the 3 of us that turned up. As I had leggings, over trousers and a winter top on, it got a bit sweaty in there! Will do a long run whilst listening to the footy next Saturday afternoon. Glad your injury is improving and I am sure a rest will do it good.

14 miles in an hour on the treadmill? not bad.........u could be the first person to break 2 hours for the full marathon - are you Kenyan?

South Stand Bonfire

Who lit that match then?
NSC Patron
Jan 24, 2009
Shoreham-a-la-mer
I have once and I emphasize the word "once", did 30 seconds at top speed on a tread mill in the gym once. The top speed was a smidgen over 20km/hr. I was quite impressed with this whilst trying not to chuck up until it was pointed out to me that the world record holders go at that speed for over 2 hours!
14 miles in an hour on the treadmill? not bad.........u could be the first person to break 2 hours for the full marathon - are you Kenyan?

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I have once and I emphasize the word "once", did 30 seconds at top speed on a tread mill in the gym once. The top speed was a smidgen over 20km/hr. I was quite impressed with this whilst trying not to chuck up until it was pointed out to me that the world record holders go at that speed for over 2 hours!

it's hard to comprehend how they keep going at that pace for 26 miles, but then again i expect their strides are about 3 times longer than ours (by strides i don't mean trousers!).

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
6 miles through the snow this morning rather than the 11 miles scheduled

D

Deleted member 18477

6 miles through the snow this morning rather than the 11 miles scheduled

how do you lads motivate yourselves to keep running day after day, week after week?

5 years ago i ran and then did weights at a gym, then i switched to just weights to gain quite a bit of muscle. i've just switched to kettlebells as i want to move onto the endurance side of things whilst keeping some muscle. i really want to get a couple of runs in a week to improve my endurance more.

when do you go running? what time of day? where do you run? what do you eat to fuel/recover from your runs?

Lord Bamber

Legendary Chairman
Feb 23, 2009
Heaven
how do you lads motivate yourselves to keep running day after day, week after week? Easy - Just love it!

5 years ago i ran and then did weights at a gym, then i switched to just weights to gain quite a bit of muscle. i've just switched to kettlebells as i want to move onto the endurance side of things whilst keeping some muscle. i really want to get a couple of runs in a week to improve my endurance more.

when do you go running? what time of day? where do you run? what do you eat to fuel/recover from your runs?
Run 3-4 times a week at varying times. Im not the best person to ask on recovery fuel as its whatever i can lay my hands on.

Start with one run a week and build from there.

Happy Running

Lord Bamber

Legendary Chairman
Feb 23, 2009
Heaven
13 miles on the treadmill this morning, gently. Ankle feeling much better. Not totally right but so so much better.

Bacon butty time.

Happy Running.

beardy gull

Jul 18, 2003
Portslade
Advice from some of you more experienced runners please? How long should I leave a tight calf muscle for? I felt it a bit last Friday on a fairly fast (for me) 4 miler. Went to do my slow 10 mile weekend run on Sunday evening and got about 2.5 miles before I had to stop and turn around. Been tight/painful since. My schedule has me down for 21 miles (I think) this weekend ahead. Should 5 days rest/ice be enough? Don't want to fall too behind in my training. ta

Lord Bamber

Legendary Chairman
Feb 23, 2009
Heaven
Advice from some of you more experienced runners please? How long should I leave a tight calf muscle for? I felt it a bit last Friday on a fairly fast (for me) 4 miler. Went to do my slow 10 mile weekend run on Sunday evening and got about 2.5 miles before I had to stop and turn around. Been tight/painful since. My schedule has me down for 21 miles (I think) this weekend ahead. Should 5 days rest/ice be enough? Don't want to fall too behind in my training. ta

Better to get to the start injury free than not at all. I would suggest rest and go to a physio, to ensure no long term damage. I have suffered from calf issues for years now and the advice on this thread was to do more stretching and it has been invaluable.

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
Cheers buddy, as said above, light jogging with core & weights coupled with a lot of work on the spin bike is helping.

I ordered mine last week and went for the Albion Blue version which if I like i was then going to get the white one. I am also going to go to the club shop and get some lettering put on. Will post when it arrives which should be the next couple of days.

:thumbsup:

Glad to hear you are getting back on track LB.

I ordered the blue Errea sprint vest from RTL last week and they have come back to say it is no longer available from Errea. Did you get yours, and if so, from where? Otherwise looks its going to have to be the white one!

elbowpatches

Jul 7, 2003
Cambridge
Last 6 miler before Brighton half this weekend, 2 short 25/20min runs and I'm good to go.

Then rest and recover ready for Cambridge half in 3 weeks time :)

How you guys/gals can prepare for a full marathon astounds me, I can only just fit in enough for a half.

Lord Bamber

Legendary Chairman
Feb 23, 2009
Heaven
Glad to hear you are getting back on track LB.

I ordered the blue Errea sprint vest from RTL last week and they have come back to say it is no longer available from Errea. Did you get yours, and if so, from where? Otherwise looks its going to have to be the white one!

Well Ive ordered mine direct. I have heard nothing yet and was getting a tad annoyed, I will hook out the order later and get on to them tomorrow. I want to start wearing it soon. Will report back.

Happy Running. :thumbsup:

airman

Patriae Fidus
Jan 25, 2012
Salisbury Plain
the advice on this thread was to do more stretching and it has been invaluable.

It never ceases to amaze me, the amount of runners I see who do just cursory stretching before a run, if any at all.

Lord Bamber

Legendary Chairman
Feb 23, 2009
Heaven
It never ceases to amaze me, the amount of runners I see who do just cursory stretching before a run, if any at all.

Its all about stretching - before & after.

beardy gull

Jul 18, 2003
Portslade
Better to get to the start injury free than not at all. I would suggest rest and go to a physio, to ensure no long term damage. I have suffered from calf issues for years now and the advice on this thread was to do more stretching and it has been invaluable.

Thanks LB. Rest it is then. Lovely.

ManOnTheRun

Jul 7, 2003
West Hove
Did anyone do the Brighton half Marathon yesterday? There seems to be a bit of a furore around the distance, with loads of runners on Twitter (#brightonhalf) and Facebook (on the Brighton Half Marathon page) suggesting that it was too long. My Garmin clocked it at 14.52, the same Garmin clocked last years race at 13.20.

I can understand a little variation in distance but this seems a little too big. As it's only my 3rd Half marathon I don't really know what is acceptable. Any of you more experienced racers know what an acceptable variance is?

Looking at the Elite times yesterday they were all slow compared to last year, despite the perfect conditions ...

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
Did anyone do the Brighton half Marathon yesterday? There seems to be a bit of a furore around the distance, with loads of runners on Twitter (#brightonhalf) and Facebook (on the Brighton Half Marathon page) suggesting that it was too long. My Garmin clocked it at 14.52, the same Garmin clocked last years race at 13.20.

I can understand a little variation in distance but this seems a little too big. As it's only my 3rd Half marathon I don't really know what is acceptable. Any of you more experienced racers know what an acceptable variance is?

Looking at the Elite times yesterday they were all slow compared to last year, despite the perfect conditions ...

14.52??! A whole 1.42 miles longer than it should have been? You didnt mean 13.52 did you?

Normal tolerance for a whole marathon in my experience is c0.2 miles, as no-one takes precise line all the way round, so for a half i would say c0.1 miles.

Would be very, very surprised if 1.42 miles more but if correct organisers want shooting!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here