Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

D

Deleted member 18477

i've recently started running. i can go at a good pace for a good period of time for someone who has just started running again. i dont ever want to run more than 1hr. i simply want to run for fitness to compliment my kettlebell workout. (not interested in marathons at all).

question: how do you stop yourself hitting a wall? i suddenly get to about 40+ mins and just run out of energy. suddenly as well, its not a gradual decrease in energy. its a weird experience! how do you get round this and WHAT THE HELL CAN I EAT TO FUEL ME?

ManOnTheRun

Jul 7, 2003
West Hove
14.52??! A whole 1.42 miles longer than it should have been? You didnt mean 13.52 did you?

Normal tolerance for a whole marathon in my experience is c0.2 miles, as no-one takes precise line all the way round, so for a half i would say c0.1 miles.

Would be very, very surprised if 1.42 miles more but if correct organisers want shooting!

Sorry typo ... I meant 13.52.

Which from what you suggest would be outside of the 'normal' tolerance. Certainly a fair few people getting upset about it ... The organisers have said they are 'going to look into it' but I'm not really sure what they can do. Would be a pretty big own goal if there was any substance to it ...

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
i've recently started running. i can go at a good pace for a good period of time for someone who has just started running again. i dont ever want to run more than 1hr. i simply want to run for fitness to compliment my kettlebell workout. (not interested in marathons at all).

question: how do you stop yourself hitting a wall? i suddenly get to about 40+ mins and just run out of energy. suddenly as well, its not a gradual decrease in energy. its a weird experience! how do you get round this and WHAT THE HELL CAN I EAT TO FUEL ME?

To answer your question, oats around 2-4 hours before, and maybe a banana or two an hour before.

Having said that, 40 mins is really not that long to be running to hit 'the wall', and indicates a deficiency of some sort. It could be something as simple as dehydration or lack of a certain vitamin/mineral. So make sure you drink enough water beforehand and maybe take a multivitamin supplement as well.

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007

Doubt very much its to do with your energy/fuel if hitting wall at 40 mins. On a marathon "the wall" is typically at 15-20 miles (2 hours-3 hours in for a 4 hourer) as the typical body can only store that much "energy" if you havent carbed up prior and are not taking on any fuel during run.

Are you doing excessive speed during that 40 mins or does it feel comfortable?

Sounds like you should possibly get a check up with GP (blood count etc as aenemia can cause sudden energy loss).

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
To answer your question, oats around 2-4 hours before, and maybe a banana or two an hour before.

Having said that, 40 mins is really not that long to be running to hit 'the wall', and indicates a deficiency of some sort. It could be something as simple as dehydration or lack of a certain vitamin/mineral. So make sure you drink enough water beforehand and maybe take a multivitamin supplement as well.

NW Gull, apols had typed my response but got distracted before sending! Agree with what you say but would also get a blood test to ensure all OK as he is hitting wall so early. That said, if I go out for an early evening run and have only had a light lunch prior, then I lack energy even for a 5-6 mile run so probably no more than that.

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
Sorry typo ... I meant 13.52.

Which from what you suggest would be outside of the 'normal' tolerance. Certainly a fair few people getting upset about it ... The organisers have said they are 'going to look into it' but I'm not really sure what they can do. Would be a pretty big own goal if there was any substance to it ...

Would have been seriously miffed if it was 13.52. Was due to run that race yesterday and would have been gunning for a PB. Left it too late which was lucky as went to Anfield instead!

Have run it once before (in a howling gale/rain). Has the course changed this year then?

D

Deleted member 18477

Doubt very much its to do with your energy/fuel if hitting wall at 40 mins. On a marathon "the wall" is typically at 15-20 miles (2 hours-3 hours in for a 4 hourer) as the typical body can only store that much "energy" if you havent carbed up prior and are not taking on any fuel during run.

Are you doing excessive speed during that 40 mins or does it feel comfortable?

Sounds like you should possibly get a check up with GP (blood count etc as aenemia can cause sudden energy loss).

Hmm I'll try oats 2 hours before. I only eat salad and chicken for lunch. Weetabix and a double protein shake for breakfast. Banana and apple for snack. I eat more carbs for dinner and protein to fuel muscles after kettlebells. Think my diet needs to change for running, I'm clearly lacking carbs here. Although its interesting you mention blood/GP... I was concerned a while back I may have Diabetes. My grandad had it so it has run in the family previously. Maybe type 2 Diabetes. I'll try the oats first and then if not I'll visit my GP. I'm fit enough to have a good weight session & kettlebell workout so I was surprised to lose energy after only 40 mins. Although I do go at a fairly quick pace. Maybe I'll slow down get the hour run in and then try and improve the speed suppose to the time each run. If that makes sense. Cheers anyway!

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
Hmm I'll try oats 2 hours before. I only eat salad and chicken for lunch. Weetabix and a double protein shake for breakfast. Banana and apple for snack. I eat more carbs for dinner and protein to fuel muscles after kettlebells. Think my diet needs to change for running, I'm clearly lacking carbs here. Although its interesting you mention blood/GP... I was concerned a while back I may have Diabetes. My grandad had it so it has run in the family previously. Maybe type 2 Diabetes. I'll try the oats first and then if not I'll visit my GP. I'm fit enough to have a good weight session & kettlebell workout so I was surprised to lose energy after only 40 mins. Although I do go at a fairly quick pace. Maybe I'll slow down get the hour run in and then try and improve the speed suppose to the time each run. If that makes sense. Cheers anyway!

Dig-obviously do what you think is right, but would recommend you go for that check up anyway. No harm in checking you are in good working order, particularly if you are upping the fitness training.

You are probably fit as a fiddle, but an early check is always sensible. I had low energy c6 years ago. I was anaemic which can be a sign of the big C. After a lot of tests etc turns out I'm a Coeliac (gluten intolerant) so now no wheat, barley or rye for me but blood levels great and ran my second marathon last October in 3'36.

Lord Bamber

Legendary Chairman
Feb 23, 2009
Heaven
Glad to hear you are getting back on track LB.

I ordered the blue Errea sprint vest from RTL last week and they have come back to say it is no longer available from Errea. Did you get yours, and if so, from where? Otherwise looks its going to have to be the white one!

I received my vest this morning, the Albion blue one, really nice and great fit. So much so Im going to order the white one.

Took a long time mind but glad Ive got it.

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
Did anyone do the Brighton half Marathon yesterday? There seems to be a bit of a furore around the distance, with loads of runners on Twitter (#brightonhalf) and Facebook (on the Brighton Half Marathon page) suggesting that it was too long. My Garmin clocked it at 14.52, the same Garmin clocked last years race at 13.20.

I can understand a little variation in distance but this seems a little too big. As it's only my 3rd Half marathon I don't really know what is acceptable. Any of you more experienced racers know what an acceptable variance is?

Looking at the Elite times yesterday they were all slow compared to last year, despite the perfect conditions ...

"Brighton Half Marathon 2012 distance acknowledgement.

Race Organisers of the Brighton Half Marathon have acknowledged today (Monday 20th February) that due to human error the course was extended to a total distance of 13.42 miles.

The Race Organisers have confirmed that ‘The Brighton Half Marathon is a UKA licensed course measuring exactly 13.1 miles, we have however received feedback from various runners that the total distance measured on their training devices showed a distance of over 13.1 miles. We can now confirm after investigation that the total distance covered by each runner in the Brighton Half Marathon on 19 February 2012 was 13.42 miles. This has been investigated and is human error due to a misplaced turnaround between mile 4 and 5.’

The Race Director said: ‘We take full responsibility for this human error and would like to issue our most sincere apologies to all the runners who experienced disappointment over this. We have taken all feedback into account, we will be implementing some new additional measures ready for the 2013
race to prevent this from happening again.’

Action has been taken to amend the runners’ times on the Brighton Half Marathon website, taking the extra distance into account. This will be live on http://www.brightonhalfmarathon.com at 4.00 pm today in the results section.

The Brighton Half Marathon is a hugely successful event with this year seeing blue skies and sunshine, welcoming 7,427 runners to the 22nd edition of the race. The Brighton Half Marathon had been growing steadily over the last couple of years and the 2012 race sold out in record time with all 10,500 places snapped up by 18th November 2011.

The Brighton Half Marathon organisers hope that their sincere apologies to all the runners will be accepted along with amendments to the runners’ times and measures to prevent repetition of this in future races."

You were right, Man On The Run! That is appalling!!

South Stand Bonfire

Who lit that match then?
NSC Patron
Jan 24, 2009
Shoreham-a-la-mer
Have just done my first long run for four weeks due to a mixture of snow/ice and then two weeks off with a chest virus. It was not pretty but what a great morning for a run. The legs were a bit tired with about 2 miles from the finish along the seafront and I apologise for having to latch on to a vision in pink (female) to keep my motivation going. Hot bath, white wine and now the the London derby on tv.....

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
I'm staying over in Doncaster and doing the nearby "Norton Nine" Sunday morning. Don't suppose anyone else is?

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
First marathon of 2012 for me tomorrow, Steyning Stinger.
Will be number 49.
Anyone else running it?

Tried to enter, but it was full by the time I got round to it and I had my entry returned.
Have got my entry in early for Three Forts!

Lord Bamber

Legendary Chairman
Feb 23, 2009
Heaven
Not me! I looked at the forecast and got my 16 miles in yesterday morning after my night shift instead. Still had to do the last 5 or so in the pissing rain.

Good planning, I couldnt face my long run and the drive to Donny & back so have my wellingtons & paddington mac ready and am just off out.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here