Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

elbowpatches

Jul 7, 2003
Cambridge
was due to run 10 miles of the flatlands up here in Cambridgeshire but due to a cold, partly gained from the cold and wet yesterday, decided it wasn't worth risking it. Now really behind in training for 19th Feb. Was hoping to go under 2hours but to be honest I'm just hoping to finish now - have another half marathon in Cambridge 3 weeks later.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
Benfleet 15 for me toay, bloody windy out on the Sea Wall

Lord Bamber

Legendary Chairman
Feb 23, 2009
Heaven
As a one-off yeah it's worth it. The T-shirt is good quality and it's a decent medal if you like that sort of thing.

Thanks.

Feeling v.miserable today, put foot in a hole on Sunday whilst on long run. Damaged ankle ligaments. Out for upto 4 weeks. A right pisser in my goal of a sub 4 hour marathon and running 4 marathons in a month. Special thanks to Cardiff for cheering up my week though.

airman

Patriae Fidus
Jan 25, 2012
Salisbury Plain
Anyone know of a charity place in the Brighton Marathon that doesnt need a min 500 pledge? I'm just not sure I could raise that much ...

South Stand Bonfire

Who lit that match then?
NSC Patron
Jan 24, 2009
Shoreham-a-la-mer
I have a tight calf from the weekend so will be concentrating on my "mental" strength this weekend i.e Breakfast in bed at a B&B in the New Forest. Have a fiver on a 4-2 BHA win at 100:1. If it comes in it will be down to Run for some new running shoes. Do you think running shoes will morph into daglo colours like modern day footy boots? Will be thinking of you all from under the duvet.

Lord Bamber

Legendary Chairman
Feb 23, 2009
Heaven
I have a tight calf from the weekend so will be concentrating on my "mental" strength this weekend i.e Breakfast in bed at a B&B in the New Forest. Have a fiver on a 4-2 BHA win at 100:1. If it comes in it will be down to Run for some new running shoes. Do you think running shoes will morph into daglo colours like modern day footy boots? Will be thinking of you all from under the duvet.

Im loving the mental strength training.......

Think it might be a while before we can get all the daglo colours for running shoes but it will happen Im sure.

South Stand Bonfire

Who lit that match then?
NSC Patron
Jan 24, 2009
Shoreham-a-la-mer
That is a bugger. Don't give up on the training though and do some repetitive light weights for upper body strength. Not the same I know, but it won't do you any harm. Have you seen a physio? Paul at Corals is v good.

Thanks.

Feeling v.miserable today, put foot in a hole on Sunday whilst on long run. Damaged ankle ligaments. Out for upto 4 weeks. A right pisser in my goal of a sub 4 hour marathon and running 4 marathons in a month. Special thanks to Cardiff for cheering up my week though.

Lord Bamber

Legendary Chairman
Feb 23, 2009
Heaven
That is a bugger. Don't give up on the training though and do some repetitive light weights for upper body strength. Not the same I know, but it won't do you any harm. Have you seen a physio? Paul at Corals is v good.

Yeah, weights is a good shout although I see weights as the dark side of the gym, lots of very muscle bound men with tight belts drinking milk based supplement drinks. Physio booked for next week once swelling gone down.

Happy Mental Strength Training :thumbsup:

Bedsex

not my real name
Jan 29, 2009
Flitwick
Thanks.

Don't let it get you down Lord Bamber - I did exactly the same thing this time last year and completely ruptured one set of lateral ankle ligaments. Despite this I managed to run the Brighton Marathon last April (and was well on course for a sub 4 hour finish when I collapsed with heat stroke at 24 miles - but I'm pretty sure this had nothing to do with my ankle).

Good luck with your recovery - once the swelling has completely gone (RICE) you'll need to increase the strength of the supporting muscles, writing the letters of the alphabet with your toes is quite good for this. You'll also need to improve the proprioception of the ankle and if you don't have access to a wobble board, cleaning your teeth with your eyes closed whilst standing on your bad leg should do the trick.

Lord Bamber

Legendary Chairman
Feb 23, 2009
Heaven
Don't let it get you down Lord Bamber - I did exactly the same thing this time last year and completely ruptured one set of lateral ankle ligaments. Despite this I managed to run the Brighton Marathon last April (and was well on course for a sub 4 hour finish when I collapsed with heat stroke at 24 miles - but I'm pretty sure this had nothing to do with my ankle). I will watch out for this !

Good luck with your recovery - once the swelling has completely gone (RICE) you'll need to increase the strength of the supporting muscles, writing the letters of the alphabet with your toes is quite good for this. You'll also need to improve the proprioception of the ankle and if you don't have access to a wobble board, cleaning your teeth with your eyes closed whilst standing on your bad leg should do the trick.

Thanks for the advice, just about to clean teeth now so no time like the present!

beardy gull

Jul 18, 2003
Portslade
Do you think running shoes will morph into daglo colours like modern day footy boots?

Have you looked at the Nike Lunarglide & Adidas adizero ranges?

You see, what I'd like is just a plain all black running shoe. Not many out there. Just done my slow long weekend run this evening (15 miles) as don't have the time tomorrow. Settling down to fish and chips now. Lovely.

Lord Bamber

Legendary Chairman
Feb 23, 2009
Heaven
You see, what I'd like is just a plain all black running shoe. Not many out there. Just done my slow long weekend run this evening (15 miles) as don't have the time tomorrow. Settling down to fish and chips now. Lovely.

Thought Nike had a plain black one with even the swoosh in black, could be wrong though.

Hope you enjoyed the f&c, well deserved after 15 miles. :thumbsup:

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003

I have plain grey Brooks Adrenaline ASR

beardy gull

Jul 18, 2003
Portslade
Well done. I ran 11.5 miles with the Brighton Marathon training group this am, from Saltdean, over the Downs. There must have been at least 150 of us!

For this time of year we have been blessed with the weather so far. Can't help feeling that sooner or later winter will hit us!

Looks like it'll be this weekend! Going to bring forward my 17 miles planned for Sunday to tomorrow afternoon. Last year the snow really buggered up my training.

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
No poor & predictable. I googled running tops and the errera one mentioned in my other post looks to be the best option if we want to run in Albion colours. I must admit the more I cant have one the more I want one - much like a shag with Keira Knightly.

Sorry to hear about your injury Lord B. At least you did it early enough to recover and still get some decent training in!

Did you buy one of those Errea running vests in the end? As they now have decent water packs, I'm going to ditch my Camelbak for Brighton, and therefore want to be seen in my resplendent best Albion colours.

Unless you have bought (or anyone else) and dont like, will get one. Wasnt, though, sure whether to go for the Sprint in light blue, or Sun in white? Am leaning towards Sprint in light blue.Decisions! Decisions!

South Stand Bonfire

Who lit that match then?
NSC Patron
Jan 24, 2009
Shoreham-a-la-mer
I have a compulsory 14 miler from Corals on Sunday morning at 9am in a group. Not looking for any sympathy but best wishes to all and Lord Bamber who I am sure will be out there on Sunday. I just need to up the tempo on the ipod and think of the hot bath afterwards.

Thought Nike had a plain black one with even the swoosh in black, could be wrong though.

Hope you enjoyed the f&c, well deserved after 15 miles. :thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here