Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

****Official Paralympic thread****

Falkor

Banned
Jun 3, 2011
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1346774691.371459.jpg team gb gold and silver very special day

Dec 16, 2010
Over there
View attachment 34484 team gb gold and silver very special day

Lovely stuff, glad you had a good day fella, what an experience.
Without you Mr Falkor I'd pretty much given up on this thread and stopped posting my little updates of the games as it seems most people on here aren't interested.
It just makes me sad that there was post after post about the main games, but only a handful of people seem bothered about the Paralympics. I know the football season has started but even so.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
...only a handful of people seem bothered about the Paralympics.

Whatever the reasons, I think this is somewhere near the truth.

During the Olympics, the Games where pretty much the only topic of conversation at work every day for 3 weeks - what had happened the day before and what events were on that night - occasionally punctuated by watching live updates of GB medal successes and failures, huddled around tiny smart phones and iPads etc.

Nobody has mentioned the Paralympics at all.

Dec 16, 2010
Over there
Whatever the reasons, I think this is somewhere near the truth.

During the Olympics, the Games where pretty much the only topic of conversation at work every day for 3 weeks - what had happened the day before and what events were on that night - occasionally punctuated by watching live updates of GB medal successes and failures, huddled around tiny smart phones and iPads etc.

We've still been talking about the Paralympics at work, so I may have miss judged peoples interest. But I'm loving it anyway and these athletes deserve the sell out stadia and arenas, they are a million times more talented athletically than me and the majority of people on here.
Anyway GO DAVE (THE WEIRWOLF) GO

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
...only a handful of people seem bothered about the Paralympics.
<br />
<br />
Whatever the reasons, I think this is somewhere near the truth.<br />
<br />
During the Olympics, the Games where pretty much the only topic of conversation at work every day for 3 weeks - what had happened the day before and what events were on that night - occasionally punctuated by watching live updates of GB medal successes and failures, huddled around tiny smart phones and iPads etc.<br />
<br />
Much of that is probably due to the appalling c4 coverage, had BBC decided to bid and win the rights I would've expected a much higher interest. There were 10,000's at the park today and there's still a massive market for tickets

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
We're watching it every evening and thoroughly enjoying it. There have been so many awesome performances, and Ellie Simmonds and David Weir have been top of the pile.

Have been amazed at the skill, passion and technique on display in events like the wheelchair basketball, the cycling and the table tennis particularly.

Total respect to them all.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
Much of that is probably due to the appalling c4 coverage, had BBC decided to bid and win the rights I would've expected a much higher interest. There were 10,000's at the park today and there's still a massive market for tickets

The BBC DID bid for it, apparantly a strong bid. But the organisers shamefully chose C4

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
I prefer the C4 coverage to the BBC, and have watched more of this than the actual Olympics

Dec 16, 2010
Over there
Get in there Dave Weir, triple Olympic champion.
I honestly don't think that it's the adverts thats the problem, it's the disinterest in disabled athletes.
How many threads appear on here about sporting events and programmes on commercial channels and have moans about the adverts? None that I remember

Lady Gull

Aug 6, 2011
West sussex
We're watching it every evening and thoroughly enjoying it. There have been so many awesome performances, and Ellie Simmonds and David Weir have been top of the pile.

Have been amazed at the skill, passion and technique on display in events like the wheelchair basketball, the cycling and the table tennis particularly.

Total respect to them all.

Absolutely this x

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house

The BBC DID bid for it, apparantly a strong bid. But the organisers shamefully chose C4

Channel 4 bid about £2 million more than the BBC, so they didn't want it enough. I haven't seen much of the coverage (been at the Games most of the time!) but some of the BBC stuff was awful too.

Cosmic Joker

The Motorik
Apr 14, 2010
Chichester
Have been watching a lot of the Paralympics but took a night off tonight. Love watching the great achievements but feel less competitive about the medal table than the Olympics as tend to regard each medal/event as a personal triumph for the competitors rather than having an added dimension as a representation of a national one.

How many threads appear on here about sporting events and programmes on commercial channels and have moans about the adverts? None that I remember

I'm sure it has cropped a few times on F1 threads

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Get in there Dave Weir, triple Olympic champion.
I honestly don't think that it's the adverts thats the problem, it's the disinterest in disabled athletes.

Must have been some about ITV and missing goals in the football because of ads. An Everton goal springs to mind. Liverpool cup game was it?

FWIW, the adverts have really got to me on the C4 coverage. Haven't seen as much of the games due to a number of reasons, but the ad scheduling is one of them.

Others include workload and no bbc video feed online, but I am amazed by the athletes, not disinterested in the slightest.

Bez

Jul 14, 2003
Just home from a night in the stadium, amazing, the noise was so loud. Fair play to the full house that turned up to support the brilliant sports men and women. £8.50 for fish and chips mind.

Falkor

Banned
Jun 3, 2011
Bex we paid £15 for 2 baguette admittedly they where the best baguette I have had but still.

I love the Paralympics my partner is a volunteer for St D (blind veterans uk) archer club and I am about 2. And when you work with disabled athletes you get an understanding of how much work they put in.

Dec 16, 2010
Over there
It's one of the sports I've been waiting for begins today, murderball a.k.a wheelchair rugby. Team G.B start it all off with I think the top team U.S.A.
If you thought some of the clashes in basketball were hard, you ain't seen nothing yet.

Channel 4 coverage has been mediocre. Plenty of air time but a lot of filling by the presenters - some of whom have been good and some poor. I like the use of experienced past paralympians to give some insight into the various sports but the scheduling leaves a lot to be desired eg no live coverage of an all British archery final on the main channel. This is the first time I have the time to watch the Paralympics to any degree and attended the opening ceremony and a morning of athletics. I have found it an inspiring and humbling experience despite my reservations about the TV coverage.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Went to the Paralympics yesterday with the family and wow, brilliant day. Didn't really experience any queues, we went into the Aquatics centre for an hour or so in the morning, then dashed across to the main stadium for the rest of that morning session. Really enjoyed it. I think there are so many things they've got right. Okay, food is a bit pricey, but then hosting a games is pricey so kind of expected it.

The pool really impressed me, the speeds achieved were astonishing, the 400mm especially, effectively 16 lengths of King Alfred at a really fast pace. So glad we went.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
The pool really impressed me, the speeds achieved were astonishing, the 400mm especially, effectively 16 lengths of King Alfred at a really fast pace. So glad we went.

We were there yesterday evening, its extraordinary that almost every final results in a Paralympic record or in a lot of cases a World Record, sometimes by a long way. Is it the water that's special ???

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here