Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

****Official Paralympic thread****

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
We were there yesterday evening, its extraordinary that almost every final results in a Paralympic record or in a lot of cases a World Record, sometimes by a long way. Is it the water that's special ???

Its how the pool is designed, i read something before the games, that the water is heated to an exact temperature so its at the point where it is easiest to swim through, the edges of the pool are below the surface of the water (like a rim on a cup so that when the swimmers are in the water, it runs away, unlike a normal pool where i comes back in, which basically causes waves which in swimming is bad apparently.

all very geeky, but they were expecting a lot of records to be broken at both the Olympics and the Para's.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
We were there yesterday evening, its extraordinary that almost every final results in a Paralympic record or in a lot of cases a World Record, sometimes by a long way. Is it the water that's special ???

I think it is a case that year on year the Paralympics is advancing at a huge rate in terms of it's professionalism and seriousness of it's training regimes etc. The Paralympians from a lot of countries now have the same support network; nutritionists, sports scientists, psychologists etc. etc. as the Olympians, and in some cases train together.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Its how the pool is designed, i read something before the games, that the water is heated to an exact temperature so its at the point where it is easiest to swim through, the edges of the pool are below the surface of the water (like a rim on a cup so that when the swimmers are in the water, it runs away, unlike a normal pool where i comes back in, which basically causes waves which in swimming is bad apparently.

all very geeky, but they were expecting a lot of records to be broken at both the Olympics and the Para's.

and this then as well!

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea

:thumbsup:

I think it is a case that year on year the Paralympics is advancing at a huge rate in terms of it's professionalism and seriousness of it's training regimes etc. The Paralympians from a lot of countries now have the same support network; nutritionists, sports scientists, psychologists etc. etc. as the Olympians, and in some cases train together.

They were saying on 5live last night that the Ukrainians are on £80K bonus for every Gold, that's a pretty good incentive.

It wouldn't suprise me that the crowd also plays its part.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
How much fun does wheelchair rugby look!? Great sport, really is all action, violent, skilful, fast. GB up on USA at the moment...

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house
ANOTHER gold for Sarah Storey! An awesome day at Brands Hatch for the time-trials. We'll be back in the morning for some road racing! Can she make it 4?

Dec 16, 2010
Over there
Did anyone else see that African swimmer, the only representative from his country. Fall into the pool and make a false start. And instead of getting out and accepting his disqualification, he stayed in and swam the entire length. And he did this even though they tried to stop him twice by throwing a rope across the pool,
Good man :)

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Did anyone else see that African swimmer, the only representative from his country. Fall into the pool and make a false start. And instead of getting out and accepting his disqualification, he stayed in and swam the entire length. And he did this even though they tried to stop him twice by throwing a rope across the pool,
Quite right. I trained for years and flew here to swim this race, so I'm going to bloody swim.

Dec 16, 2010
Over there
And huge respect goes out to Alex Zanadi the italian ex formula one driver who, after participating in an Indy car race in Germany lost both his legs in a horror crash and today won the gold in the hand bike race at brans Hatch. The man is a legend and so lovely.
After talking about his horror crash, he described it as the moment he received his ticket to the Paralympics.
LEGEND

Dec 16, 2010
Over there
Brilliant gold by Hannah Cockcroft in the 200m wheelchair. Should be a good night in the Olympic stadium with Jonnie Peacock up against Markus Pistorious in the 100m and David Weir going for gold number 3 in the 800m wheelchair.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea

There does seem to be a little bit of inconsistency with the false starts, Tuesday night a swimmer fell in and expected to be false started but was allowed to get back on the start, yet earlier in the week one girl toppled off the start and was disqualified. Again in the 100m just now, they allowed the 200m gold medalist get away with what was really a false start, even though I think it was right to do so.

Dec 16, 2010
Over there
There does seem to be a little bit of inconsistency with the false starts, Tuesday night a swimmer fell in and expected to be false started but was allowed to get back on the start, yet earlier in the week one girl toppled off the start and was disqualified. Again in the 100m just now, they allowed the 200m gold medalist get away with what was really a false start, even though I think it was right to do so.

I was thinking this as well after Olivera was let off in the 100m final, the rulings have been very inconsistent.
The one and out ruling in the main olympics i thought was pretty harsh, but even more so in the paralympics with some of the disabilities meaning balance is difficult.

Madam Cholet

Feb 29, 2012
Lovely stuff, glad you had a good day fella, what an experience.
Without you Mr Falkor I'd pretty much given up on this thread and stopped posting my little updates of the games as it seems most people on here aren't interested.
It just makes me sad that there was post after post about the main games, but only a handful of people seem bothered about the Paralympics. I know the football season has started but even so.

Monsieur Cholet and I work from home and the TV hasn't been off Channel 4 all day, every day for the last week. Having been utterly hooked by the Olympics (and lucky enough to have tickets to an athletics session and to see Usain Bolt), I didn't imagine I would be as engrossed in the Paralympics but I am. I agree that C4's coverage is not quite as slick as the Beeb but it's hugely informative (on the classifications and back stories etc.) and really inclusive and friendly. Also a huge fan of the Last Leg which I think has been an inspired bit of programming. I wouldn't bet again a Paralympian being Sports Personality of the year either. Keep up with the updates. I'm watching, if not always contributing.

Dec 16, 2010
Over there
Monsieur Cholet and I work from home and the TV hasn't been off Channel 4 all day, every day for the last week. Having been utterly hooked by the Olympics (and lucky enough to have tickets to an athletics session and to see Usain Bolt), I didn't imagine I would be as engrossed in the Paralympics but I am. I agree that C4's coverage is not quite as slick as the Beeb but it's hugely informative (on the classifications and back stories etc.) and really inclusive and friendly. Also a huge fan of the Last Leg which I think has been an inspired bit of programming. I wouldn't bet again a Paralympian being Sports Personality of the year either. Keep up with the updates. I'm watching, if not always contributing.

Thank you madam and In honour of all our gold medal stars here's another of my tributes to the medalists at the games.
Today, thanks to all who made the podium, we hit our medal target and surpassed it. 102 medals in Beijing, at the close of competition today 108.
31gold, 39silver, 38bronze and 2nd place on the medal table.
Today's gold medal hero's are headed up by the brilliant Jonnie Peacock in the blue ribbon 100m.
Then the amazing Dave Weir winning his 3rd gold in the 800m.
The superb Hannah Cockroft won the 200m gold to add to her 100m.
Joseph Craig Britains Youngest gold medalist at 15, broke the world record twice in the heats and final as he won the 400 m freestyle.
The remarkable Sarah storey won her 4th gold of the games and became join best paralympian with Tanni Grey-Thompson at 11 golds, as she won in the c4-5 road race.
Helena Lucas too our first ever sailing gold in the 2.4mr class.
Heres to all our amazing athletes who have made the podium and to the others who will be victorious in the last 3 days of competition.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1346973755.916991.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1346973777.793159.jpg

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
Just got back from tonight's athletics and the British gold medallists were incredible. A night I'll remember for a long time, and a night the ELS Juniors will remember, too, more importantly :)

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house
Thank you madam and In honour of all our gold medal stars here's another of my tributes to the medalists at the games.
Today, thanks to all who made the podium, we hit our medal target and surpassed it. 102 medals in Beijing, at the close of competition today 108.
31gold, 39silver, 38bronze and 2nd place on the medal table.
Today's gold medal hero's are headed up by the brilliant Jonnie Peacock in the blue ribbon 100m.
Then the amazing Dave Weir winning his 3rd gold in the 800m.
The superb Hannah Cockroft won the 200m gold to add to her 100m.
Joseph Craig Britains Youngest gold medalist at 15, broke the world record twice in the heats and final as he won the 400 m freestyle.
The remarkable Sarah storey won her 4th gold of the games and became join best paralympian with Tanni Grey-Thompson at 11 golds, as she won in the c4-5 road race.
Helena Lucas too our first ever sailing gold in the 2.4mr class.
Heres to all our amazing athletes who have made the podium and to the others who will be victorious in the last 3 days of competition.

This doesn't quite cut it. She was a minute ahead after the first of 8 8km laps, finishing 7:20 ahead of 2nd place having lapped half the field and overtaken the men's C1-3 race that started 2 minutes before the women's race! 'Won' isn't quite the right word. SMASHED IT!

She's now the most decorated British Paralympian, equal on golds with Tanni Grey0Thompson but with more silver/bronze. Oh, and in 2 different sports too.

LEGEND.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here