Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official FALMER WEBCAM Merged Threads

clarkey

Jan 3, 2006
Not that I dont trust NJ and the wonderful Buckingham team, but given the way the last 13 years have gone Im dreading waking up tomorrow to check the webcam and see a pile of twisted arch and trusses scattered across the floor with a lot of bemused workmen standing around wondering what went wrong.

warsaw

She's lost control
Jan 28, 2008
Great photos but I still feel that I must understand what is holding it up, otherwise I will have to watch matches from the North Stand where falling arches cant drop on me :lolol:

My understanding of the roof assumed that the rafter thingys now being fitted would somehow provide additional support to the arch (cantilever sort of thing?) but instead they are being hung under the arch so it looks as though the arch is carrying the weight of the whole roof :eek:

Perhaps NJ could confirm that those carefully constructed lumps of concrete with the dogs heads are in fact supporting the whole roof :facepalm:

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
Great photos but I still feel that I must understand what is holding it up, otherwise I will have to watch matches from the North Stand where falling arches cant drop on me :lolol:

My understanding of the roof assumed that the rafter thingys now being fitted would somehow provide additional support to the arch (cantilever sort of thing?) but instead they are being hung under the arch so it looks as though the arch is carrying the weight of the whole roof :eek:

Perhaps NJ could confirm that those carefully constructed lumps of concrete with the dogs heads are in fact supporting the whole roof :facepalm:

I think you are right. In order for the arch to collapse downward it would need to straighten and therefore would get longer. The dogs heads with their massive construction will act as 'bookends' which are unforgiving and will hold the arch in its original curve.

Thats why the 3 pieces of arch need to be fully locked in place between the dog heads before much additional weight is added to them.

warsaw

She's lost control
Jan 28, 2008
I think you are right. In order for the arch to collapse downward it would need to straighten and therefore would get longer. The dogs heads with their massive construction will act as 'bookends' which are unforgiving and will hold the arch in its original curve.

Thats why the 3 pieces of arch need to be fully locked in place between the dog heads before much additional weight is added to them.

Thanks Uncle C. I thought that those concrete dog head thingys looked a bit sturdy as they were being built. I'm glad they are now.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
It should be a picture of a penis and an arsehole surely?:laugh:

Will this one do for both cases?

scott-mcgleish-120x120.jpg

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
Takes a few hours to set up though, so nothing imminent.

EastbourneGull

Oct 1, 2008
If you do a manual timelapse on the webcam you can see that the crane arm in the south west corner is waving about a lot. More steel for the west stand I guess. This is all too much - I've got a living to earn.

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill

Martinf

SeenTheBlue&WhiteLight
Mar 13, 2008
Lewes
What a difference a day makes. Yesterday blue skies and today it's pouring down. Feel sorry for those construction people working in this pissy weather.

Martinf

SeenTheBlue&WhiteLight
Mar 13, 2008
Lewes
11.00am: middle arch section getting ready for lift off - but as Ev said earlier - it may be a while yet!

:falmer:

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
I hope they start soon though, it's pretty cold and wet out here, although I haven't got out the car yet!
Rain keeps starting and stopping. Think this is about as good the day will be. Tomorrow looks better.

Martinf

SeenTheBlue&WhiteLight
Mar 13, 2008
Lewes
I hope they start soon though, it's pretty cold and wet out here, although I haven't got out the car yet!
Rain keeps starting and stopping. Think this is about as good the day will be. Tomorrow looks better.

Well done EV. Have you had a chance to see what's happening to the west stand? Any steel going up yet or is it still concrete walls etc? Cheers!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here