Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official FALMER WEBCAM Merged Threads

Martinf

SeenTheBlue&WhiteLight
Mar 13, 2008
Lewes
Can someone post the URL for the construction company's video of the roof going up please. I can't find it on my bookmarks - thanks.

Just go to Youtube and type in 'erection of Brighton & Hove Albion's East Stand Roof' and you should get it.

I think the bits they are putting up now are the pieces between the rafters innit.

:thumbsup:

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Grassy arse chaps.

Just rewatched that and the attachment of the steels from the back of the stand to the southern section of the arch is a radical departure from the process described on the video (not radical - more noticeable). The vid suggests that the arch goes up then the steels are attached from the middle outwards. Wonder why the change of plan? It does suggest that the engineer are happy with the southern section of the arch and won't be taking it down again though - which is good news following the pre-Christmas anti-climax.

Last edited by a moderator:

Martinf

SeenTheBlue&WhiteLight
Mar 13, 2008
Lewes
Grassy arse chaps.

Just rewatched that and the attachment of the steels from the back of the stand to the southern section of the arch is a radical departure from the process described on the video (not radical - more noticeable). The vid suggests that the arch goes up then the steels are attached from the middle outwards. Wonder why the change of plan? It does suggest that the engineer are happy with the southern section of the arch and won't be taking it down again though - which is good news following the pre-Christmas anti-climax.

Yeah, I clocked that as well TRHK. Can JS quickly nip down and have a douglas hurd with NJ - he can then tell Watsons that they're doing it arse-about-face?

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
When you look at it from a layman's point of view, because of the curve the centre of gravity of the curve must be at the bottom and left of centre of the curve. Thus it must be trying to fall over backwards, so the beams are there to stop that. Makes sense to me anywho.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
skipper734 - I've looked and looked and I just can't see how it will all stay up - but I have faith in the cantelever or whatever black magic is going to do the job. All just seems very fragile - but fascinating.

[yt]j-zczJXSxnw[/yt]

Martinf

SeenTheBlue&WhiteLight
Mar 13, 2008
Lewes
It's like the spokes of a wheel. When they are taught they can hold up a serious amount of weight. Loosen a couple of the spokes and the wheel will buckle.

Erm I think.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
skipper734 - I've looked and looked and I just can't see how it will all stay up - but I have faith in the cantelever or whatever black magic is going to do the job. All just seems very fragile - but fascinating.

[yt]j-zczJXSxnw[/yt]

That's harmonics init! They know all about that now and were able to use that knowledge on the Millennium bridge..........Oh! :lolol:

Martinf

SeenTheBlue&WhiteLight
Mar 13, 2008
Lewes
Changing the subject slightly. Does anyone know when all the steel is due to be in place? I seem to recall it is late summer but I could be being a bit of a divvy (again).

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
It's like the spokes of a wheel. When they are taught they can hold up a serious amount of weight. Loosen a couple of the spokes and the wheel will buckle.

Erma I think.

I have this vision of a finished stand with arch. The two main support columns are removed and it hovers majestically on its own.

Then a passing seagull lands on the arch and ...................

Martinf

SeenTheBlue&WhiteLight
Mar 13, 2008
Lewes
I have this vision of a finished stand with arch. The two main support columns are removed and it hovers majestically on its own.

Then a passing seagull lands on the arch and ...................

Or even worse, a passing eagle. Do we get eagles round here? :jester:

John Sayers

Aug 17, 2009
Saltdean
There are two lorries in the falmer car park loaded with what looks like steel for the West Stand and a crane and two cherry pickers have moved into place near the south west dogs head. Hope this means the west stand will soon start to rise up from the ground

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
looking forward to JS's friday pics more than ever this week.

Arch pics

Arch 1.jpg

Arch2.jpg

Arch3.jpg

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Bloody hell. Stunning. Thanks NJ.

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
superb!