Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official FALMER WEBCAM Merged Threads

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
Good work and stunning photos NJ.

I've just got in from a 2 hr photographic stint myself.
Been all round the outside (including the north side of the A27), been up the Drove and the top end of Ditchling Rd looking down at the stadium.
Bloody marvellous.

Look out for the photo thread very soon.

Last edited:

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
Any likelihood of the middle section going up this week NJ?

thanks!

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Penny has suddenly dropped for me. Just been looking at Everest's pictures from this morning and I can see how this whole roof thing holds together now (I think).

The arch is exactly that. It's a fancy shape but it's an arch never the less. The roof will hang from under it.

Some of the roof will be back over the main part of the stand (the new steels they have been attaching in the last couple of days. This is anchored at the back of the stand.

The rest of the roof will be sticking out over the seats towards the pitch. The beams for this have yet to be added. This is all part of the same roof, all suspended under the beam. So as this sticks out over the seats/pitch it will be pulling downwards. However, the far end is anchorded onto the stand, so it stops the roof from tipping downward towards the seats. Very clever stuff really.

Imagine a see-saw. One end is anchored down (by a heavy kid say) so the far end is up in the air and stays there as long as the big kid doesn't get off (the equivalent of the anchors all failing on the Falmer roof).

I'm sure everybody else understood this, but until just now I couldn't see how it would work. My technical drawing scanned below - showing cut through stand. Steel beam suspended under the arch; anchored at one end to the stand; hanging out and pulling down over the seats at the other; pivoting on the arch but not moving because it's anchored in place by the stand (the fat kid)!

Attachments

• cant.jpg
    cant.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 278

Martinf

SeenTheBlue&WhiteLight
Mar 13, 2008
Lewes
Penny has suddenly dropped for me. Just been looking at Everest's pictures from this morning and I can see how this whole roof thing holds together now (I think).

The arch is exactly that. It's a fancy shape but it's an arch never the less. The roof will hang from under it.

Some of the roof will be back over the main part of the stand (the new steels they have been attaching in the last couple of days. This is anchored at the back of the stand.

The rest of the roof will be sticking out over the seats towards the pitch. The beams for this have yet to be added. This is all part of the same roof, all suspended under the beam. So as this sticks out over the seats/pitch it will be pulling downwards. However, the far end is anchorded onto the stand, so it stops the roof from tipping downward towards the seats. Very clever stuff really.

Imagine a see-saw. One end is anchored down (by a heavy kid say) so the far end is up in the air and stays there as long as the big kid doesn't get off (the equivalent of the anchors all failing on the Falmer roof).

I'm sure everybody else understood this, but until just now I couldn't see how it would work. My technical drawing scanned below - showing cut through stand. Steel beam suspended under the arch; anchored at one end to the stand; hanging out and pulling down over the seats at the other; pivoting on the arch but not moving because it's anchored in place by the stand (the fat kid)!

Do you know the fat kid? I'd like to shake his flabby hand.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
You should have been an engineer!

Except the roof goes all the way to the back of the stand otherwise people on the top floor (inside) would get wet.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Can TRHK's technical drawings become a regular feature? I enjoyed that :thumbsup:

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Do you know the fat kid? I'd like to shake his flabby hand.

You wouldn't! The handshake would turn into a vice-like grip, before he then bends your arm behind your back in the traditional "I'm gonna break it" position, until you give him your dinner money.

How else do you suppose he got so fat that he can hold the whole roof up on a see-saw?

So, don't try shaking his hand, just console yourself that you spent years cheering him on at left back.

Martinf

SeenTheBlue&WhiteLight
Mar 13, 2008
Lewes
You wouldn't! The handshake would turn into a vice-like grip, before he then bends your arm behind your back in the traditional "I'm gonna break it" position, until you give him your dinner money.

How else do you suppose he got so fat that he can hold the whole roof up on a see-saw?

So, don't try shaking his hand, just console yourself that you spent years cheering him on at left back.

:laugh: Thanks for the advice. You're right - the sweaty, lardy-hand with fat, sausage like fingers would best be avoided.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
This is the picture that Everest took that made it clearer to me:

Glad to be of help. I suppose you want me to post pictures of a penis and a vagina now so you can get that cleared up too? :lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here