Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Odsonne Édouard

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Just seen a tweet from him saying he's told we're not in for Edouard

Good. Honestly think he's over hyped. More likely to be another Locadia than another Muzza. League 1, lowr championship quality defenders and he just doesnt look like he has the natural flair to succeed this much higher.

Someone may take a punt, I hope its not us unless its for a modest amount

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Good. Honestly think he's over hyped. More likely to be another Locadia than another Muzza. League 1, lowr championship quality defenders and he just doesnt look like he has the natural flair to succeed this much higher.

Yet Rodgers thinks he’s good enough for the PL :shrug:

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Yet Rodgers thinks he’s good enough for the PL :shrug:

True, Rodgers knows him as well as anyone. That said, they would be signing him as competition for 2 superb strikers in Vardy and Iheanacho so it's less of a punt (even at £15m-£20m+). I would suggest we'd be buying him as an out and out first choice. Iheanacho has taken 18 months to properly find his feet since leaving Man City. We can't really afford a striker to take 18 months to deliver for the fees discussed.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton

I agree he is definitely a punt.

Unfortunately that’s one of the markets we’re in. If he’s a decent price he could be a punt worth taking. As always will trust the club.

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
An interesting in-depth article today in The Athletic reporting that Leicester are probably unlikely to sign Edouard. Here's a couple of snippets to give you a feel for the details. The full article is behind a paywall (link below). It will be interesting to see if Brighton could now be a possible destination or whether Celtic's valuation is too high. With only a year left on his contract I imagine he won't be staying in Scotland.
To me, it somehow doesn't seem like the 'under the radar signing' the Brighton recruitment team tend to go for.

From The Athletic (19 June):
"Leicester’s targets were whittled down to two: Celtic’s Odsonne Edouard and RB Salzburg’s Patson Daka. Now that list has been cut to one with Daka set to sign next week in a £23 million deal, barring any late complications."

However, the deal to bring Edouard to King Power Stadium proved too problematic and too expensive compared to that for Daka, with the processes of the two running concurrently and progressing at different speeds. Celtic are preparing for a rebuild of their squad after losing out on the title to Rangers and a major sale of Edouard could help fund that, but it appears despite the striker having only a year left on his contract, Celtic were digging their heels in on their valuation of the player. Last summer they priced him at as much as £50 million when Juventus and Borussia Dortmund made inquiries. The figure is less than half that now.
Any dealings with Leicester now are said to come with an added “Rodgers Tax”, one Celtic employee told The Athletic, with feelings still running high following Rodgers and his staff’s defection in 2019.
Edouard, who is believed to be on around £20,000 a week at Celtic, was also asking for more than Daka in personal terms, but the decision to prioritise Daka wasn’t just down to finances.

https://theathletic.com/2659631/2021/06/18/why-leicester-chose-daka-over-edouard-similarities-with-vardy-higher-talent-ceiling-and-rodgers-tax/?article_source=related

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
Ooh. That’s exciting news. I don’t think he thinks we’re quite glamorous enough for him, but he remains the player I’d most like us to sign. Think he’s exactly what we need (as well as a Gonzalez type please uncle Tony)

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
We have tracked him for a long time. Let's hope we can do this one. I agree re the Rodgers 'tax'. Celtic hate Rodgers for leaving them the way he did, halfway through a season. Just what we need.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
It’s been rumoured that we’ve possibly asked about this young man before.

What is clear to me is that his all round game is something that Potter would find really appealing. He is very good at one touch, pass and move football. His finishing is technically very clever and precise.

As Celtic are rebuilding, we could also provide them with a loan or PX. Connolly or Molumby are the obvious choices but Ali-J could start having 20 goal seasons in the MTL.

https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2021/05/...edouard-join-brighton-instead-of-arsenal/?amp

(I know this site is 99.9% BS by the way but it’s a nice headline).

Last edited:

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Hands up I’ve only fully watched two Celtic games in recent months. But both times he looked peripheral and disinterested to me.

My worry would be him landing here with a “I’m better than this” mindset - “I should be at Leicester/playing in Europe” - which could see that stay the case.

But like I say, that’s on limited viewing of the guy, so happy to be corrected.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
It’s been rumoured that we’ve possibly asked about this young man before.

What is clear to me is that his all round game is something that Potter would find really appealing. He is very good at one touch, pass and move football. His finishing is technically very clever and precise.

As Celtic are rebuilding, we could also provide them with a loan or PX. Connolly or Molumby are the obvious choices but Ali-J could start having 20 goal seasons in the MTL.

https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2021/05/...edouard-join-brighton-instead-of-arsenal/?amp

(I know this site is 99.9% BS by the way but it’s a nice headline).

We'll get excited for a few days, thread of 100 pages until some other club show interest and he chooses them. Same old

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
I think it’s a possibility, if the player is happy to come to us. As Hugo says, there could be a bit of a deal here with Ryan going the other way, and possibly Connolly on loan. Would be ideal for Aaron. Lots of chances and goals to be had. Perfect all round.

redoubtable seagull

Oct 27, 2004
I think it’s a possibility, if the player is happy to come to us. As Hugo says, there could be a bit of a deal here with Ryan going the other way, and possibly Connolly on loan. Would be ideal for Aaron. Lots of chances and goals to be had. Perfect all round.

Sounds a great plan.

Probably unlikely though.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Hands up I’ve only fully watched two Celtic games in recent months. But both times he looked peripheral and disinterested to me.

My worry would be him landing here with a “I’m better than this” mindset - “I should be at Leicester/playing in Europe” - which could see that stay the case.

I think there is some truth in that.

He was offered a big contract last summer but failed to sign it as Celtic allegedly rebuffed some EPL offers. His preference was obviously to run his contract down to a year and then to get the move this summer. With no fans in the stadium and playing for £10k+ less a week than he could have got if he’d signed an extension, I can see why his mojo would have gone down a bit.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009

Same. seen him a good few times on TV and not convinced, he's afforded so much time or scores in large part easy goals because of league 1 level defending.

Ivan Toney looks better imho and championship is better than SPL

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Based on little or nothing, I must admit, but just not excited about this. Maybe it's because he just scored goals for a team that usually dominates a league against some teams that are a lot weaker than the team he's playing for.
Still, if GP and the recruitment team think he'll do the business that'll change everything.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Same. seen him a good few times on TV and not convinced, he's afforded so much time or scores in large part easy goals because of league 1 level defending.

Ivan Toney looks better imho and championship is better than SPL
We missed the boat with Toney as he’s now a PL player. It will be interesting to see if he’s any good in the top flight.

Knowing us his first PL goal will be scored in the first game in September.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here