Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Odsonne Édouard

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
They did until they didnt. Much like everyone else. Ended up far from relegation in the end (just like Brighton) but I saw plenty of their fans shitting themselves when they lost four out of five games in January / February. Plenty of people also shat themselves with Brighton being 7 or so points ahead with five games to go. The question is perhaps "what do you consider a relegation battle?"

At no point did Leeds or Villa look like finishing behind us as they had done in our final season in the Championship. Wolves, a side we also beat regularly in the Championship also finished comfortably above us and never looked like finishing below us despite a very poor season by their own standards that saw their coach leave (yes, I know about "the" injury but we missed Lamptey for most of the season). And let's not forget yet another season behind our local rivals.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Quite, I know Ashworth has his good points but how he did that interview last summer and said we had a good window was laughable.

We signed Moder, Veltman, Khadra, Welbeck, Karbownik and Lallana.
(And a new contract for Ben White).

That window ? Yep ?

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
At no point did Leeds or Villa look like finishing behind us as they had done in our final season in the Championship. Wolves, a side we also beat regularly in the Championship also finished comfortably above us and never looked like finishing below us despite a very poor season by their own standards that saw their coach leave (yes, I know about "the" injury but we missed Lamptey for most of the season). And let's not forget yet another season behind our local rivals.

Any time anyone mentions how Brighton developing as a club and team you go for the "but its just the results that matters" reasoning, why is it suddenly interesting what they did years back in "the final season in the Championship" or "beat regularly in the Championship?". Different clubs got different strategies and some could give you quick results and more worries while other strategies might give slower results but better stability. Leeds and Brighton got similar approaches. Wolves are playing a very dangerous game, I could see plenty of ways their Chinese-Portuguese thingy could go very wrong. Aston Villa got a very fat wallet, good on them. As for Palace I think its forgettable but you do as you please.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Any time anyone mentions how Brighton developing as a club and team you go for the "but its just the results that matters" reasoning, why is it suddenly interesting what they did years back in "the final season in the Championship" or "beat regularly in the Championship?". Different clubs got different strategies and some could give you quick results and more worries while other strategies might give slower results but better stability. Leeds and Brighton got similar approaches. Wolves are playing a very dangerous game, I could see plenty of ways their Chinese-Portuguese thingy could go very wrong. Aston Villa got a very fat wallet, good on them. As for Palace I think its forgettable but you do as you please.

In the context of the two posts I was replying to I was just pointing out we were far more in a relegation scrap than sides who were nowhere near as good as us a few seasons ago. It's a fact.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
In the context of the two posts I was replying to I was just pointing out we were far more in a relegation scrap than sides who were nowhere near as good as us a few seasons ago. It's a fact.

And yet we ended up in a better position than clubs who regularly used to finish above us, such as Hull, West Brom, Middlesbrough, Stoke, Plucky and Burnley.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
FWIW current odds the result of betting cashflows.

BBF8823C-684E-4407-A9C1-47B21B1F7ECB.png

ShandyH

Jan 22, 2010
Back in London
Buying a striker is going to be very tough. We’ve been gazumped twice; by Benfica and Fiorentina. They’re both clubs with huge pedigree and both in beautiful parts of the world. We’re close though which is astonishing.

Post COVID, spending £20m to £25m is a huge amount of money to spend. So we have to get this right.

We have some of the best data available so I will be happy with our choices regardless of what they look like.

We are all incredibly naive amateurs in all of this. We will continue to build, show interest in the same small pool of players, improve, play better football, win more, climb the table.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
And yet we ended up in a better position than clubs who regularly used to finish above us, such as Hull, West Brom, Middlesbrough, Stoke, Plucky and Burnley.

However, circling back to the point, we were always going to finish above all but two of those even if we'd scored no goals at all.

The pure fact is that with better decision making and cooler heads from almost the whole team we'd have been fighting Leeds and Villa for 10th. And, as much as Maupay and Andone are a nuisance to face, neither of them says "cool" or "decision making".

Every single signing we make this summer with the exception of goalkeepers or genuine U23s has to be capable of sticking the ball away under pressure. We won't get a 20 goal a season striker because we won't get Kane or Salah but, as a group, we need to be able to make up for not having one. Failure to do so will have us, once again, fighting to not join Plucky and Stoke.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here