Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Odsonne Édouard

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
Perhaps it’s possible GP disagrees and he feels Maupay, Welbeck and Connolly perform that role.

Our attempt to sign Gonzalez suggests he wants something different.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
I’d be amazed if anyone thinks we have enough quality in our front line if we are serious about trying to reach top 10. And if we’re relying on Connolly to do anything more than shag love island contestants and show off his latest haircut then we’re going to be fighting relegation again.

I’m with you. That’s my feeling too.

But I see us linked continuously to wingers and full backs and with no new strikers through the door the evidence suggests otherwise.

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
I’m with you. That’s my feeling too.

But I see us linked continuously to wingers and full backs and with no new strikers through the door the evidence suggests otherwise.

Probably just reflects the difficulty signing decent strikers. Nunez showed we’re in the market for the ‘right’ one. I can see the sense last year of saying ‘unless we land one who’s really good we’ll just go with Welbeck on a free as he’s as good as the other options’. You’d hope with a second summer window though we’d finally land one. One of the reasons I’d be excited about Edouard as I think he’s potentially the right level of ‘good, could be really good, but not quite proven enough for a really big club to go for him’.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Probably just reflects the difficulty signing decent strikers. Nunez showed we’re in the market for the ‘right’ one. I can see the sense last year of saying ‘unless we land one who’s really good we’ll just go with Welbeck on a free as he’s as good as the other options’. You’d hope with a second summer window though we’d finally land one. One of the reasons I’d be excited about Edouard as I think he’s potentially the right level of ‘good, could be really good, but not quite proven enough for a really big club to go for him’.

Agree with all of this.

I’ve long wanted us to land Edouard. He’s a punt, but it’s a punt with enough upside (footballing and monetarily) to warrant a £15-20m deal.

If we don’t get him this window I wonder if DA, GP and co. Just don’t fancy him. Because it seems such an obvious transfer right now.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
And yet, every one in football knows where our problem remains. We’ve signed two half decent strikers in 3 years and never really replaced Murray.

Maybe but your point was that the club sat on their hands “every close season” and didn’t try and add strikers to the squad - comfortable with what they had. They weren’t and they didn’t.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Agree with all of this.

I’ve long wanted us to land Edouard. He’s a punt, but it’s a punt with enough upside (footballing and monetarily) to warrant a £15-20m deal.

If we don’t get him this window I wonder if DA, GP and co. Just don’t fancy him. Because it seems such an obvious transfer right now.

Given that a source close to the club has literally said this to a reporter - then that might be a clue.

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
Maybe but your point was that the club sat on their hands “every close season” and didn’t try and add strikers to the squad - comfortable with what they had. They weren’t and they didn’t.

My point was more aimed at the NSC-errati. Last year when we missed out on Nunez lots of people said ‘it’s fine, we have enough, etc.’ Followed by our front 3 scuffing and shanking gilt edged chances for the next 38 games…

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Agree - Andone definitely not the saviour and no better than our current misfiring strikers- got to upgrade our strikers if we’re not going to be looking over our shoulders again at relegation
Quite, I know Ashworth has his good points but how he did that interview last summer and said we had a good window was laughable.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
My point was more aimed at the NSC-errati. Last year when we missed out on Nunez lots of people said ‘it’s fine, we have enough, etc.’ Followed by our front 3 scuffing and shanking gilt edged chances for the next 38 games…

Much like Nunez did in the significantly worse Portuguese league.

Quite, I know Ashworth has his good points but how he did that interview last summer and said we had a good window was laughable.

It was a very good transfer window, think it was a fair thing to say.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I’d be amazed if anyone thinks we have enough quality in our front line if we are serious about trying to reach top 10. And if we’re relying on Connolly to do anything more than shag love island contestants and show off his latest haircut then we’re going to be fighting relegation again.

13 or 14 teams will be "fighting relegation", 6 or 7 will be fighting for top four. Brighton will most likely end up in the first category. This is not Championship or League One.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard

We said 'it's fine' because Maupay had had a good first season. Then he had a difficult second season and he is now being widely written off. My feeling is he'll put that behind him and become very good, I think he'll thrive off fans being back in the grounds.

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
If we do not sign a new striker by the timr the window shuts,we are DOOMED!! Lol

What an entitled bunch of so-called fans!

What utter rot. Everyone can see we’re a decent attacker or two away from being a very good side, instead of perennial bottom 5. Including the club leadership no doubt, who have stated their aspiration to be top 10. If wanting us to land that player (or players) is entitled, then so is every fan in the country. So climb down off your high horse.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

AlbionInUs

Oct 11, 2019
US
We said 'it's fine' because Maupay had had a good first season. Then he had a difficult second season and he is now being widely written off. My feeling is he'll put that behind him and become very good, I think he'll thrive off fans being back in the grounds.

Did he have a very good first season though? And did he have a difficult second season? I’d argue that, although Maupay’s first season was better than his second, neither were much different from each other. In the most recent season, Maupay had a poor second half, but a decent first half. If his poor run of form was in the first half instead of the second half, our perspective of Maupay’s season would be drastically different. In Maupay’s first season, he had 10 goals and 3 assists compared with 8 goals and 2 assists in the most recent campaign. You also have to take into consideration the fact that Maupay played 250 less minutes this season. Maupay was also only slightly less clinical last season, underperforming xG by 5.74 goals instead of 4.71.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
So Leeds fought relegation last season did they? Villa? There’s more than two strata.

They did until they didnt. Much like everyone else. Ended up far from relegation in the end (just like Brighton) but I saw plenty of their fans shitting themselves when they lost four out of five games in January / February. Plenty of people also shat themselves with Brighton being 7 or so points ahead with five games to go. The question is perhaps "what do you consider a relegation battle?"

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here