Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Odsonne Édouard

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
The very fact that Brendan Rodgers is Leicester manager will be a big pull though.

Wages could well come into it, we wont be able to compete when push comes to shove.
ofc Leicester as a club are more successful and have a better squad......... but when he looks at their squad with Vardy, Daka, Iheanacho, Ayoz Perez

and us with Welbeck and Maupay...... he will fancy his chances of regular starts here more Shirley. Is the Leicester "still interested" from a journo quote somewhere? or just twitter speak?

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
I can't help but feel that Odsonne Édouard would only be an average Premier League striker, no better than Welbeck or Maupay.
But I guess if our budget is only about £25m we're not going to get a 20 goal striker.

Hopefully we can share the goals around a bit more and someone like Édouard can lift some of the pressure off others.
If we could sign him and he gets 13 or 14 goals I'm sure he will have met expectations.

I feel like a bit of a stuck record on this, but....

A focal point to our attack, who can occupy and ask questions of defenders will make it easier for the rest of the team to chip in with more goals. Maupay spent far too much time last season, hanging around the penalty spot pointing at his feet. This is not difficult to defend against and his record on assists was also poor.

If we can bring someone in like Edouard, I believe we will start to see more goals from midfielders, which no doubt armchair coaches will put down to them spending all summer practising shooting, or some such simplistic b'locks.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
We won’t sign a 20 goal a season striker as others have said as they come as a premium.

We do however need to score 15-20 more goals a season as a collective team to progress.

Stepping into the Premier league for your first season with an impressive XG around you should be seen as a positive as if you can show you are up to it, a bigger club will come knocking, which is a good outcome either way for the player and the Albion

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
If we got him and he scored "13 or 14 goals" as you suggest, everybody would be delighted with that..........but, I'm with you in general assessment, I do believe he will be just an average PL striker, no better than Maupay and its another expensive/hopeful punt.

Whatever he has done at Celtic, the defenders and quality in this league are at a whole different level, the championship is better qualiy than the SPL imho, so whilst we may all live in hope he can up his game significantly more and get anywhere near 10 goals, its by no means certain and he very well could end up in the Ali J/Locadia category. Flattered to deceive in a garbage league which attracted Blooms millions, but couldnt cut the mustard in the big boys league??

Its the pools we're fishing in unfortunately.......if it comes off, will really keep everything crossed that he hits the ground running and get behind the lad.

Another repeat of same articles in circulation https://thecelticstar.com/celtic-receive-huge-bid-for-odsonne-edouard-according-to-report/

From what I’ve seen of him, he is a LOT better than Maupay. Faster, more acceleration and a better finisher. I think people get over hung up on the Scottish league thing. That Van Dijk fella didn’t seem like to have too many challenges transitioning to the EPL.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
We won’t sign a 20 goal a season striker as others have said as they come as a premium.

We do however need to score 15-20 more goals a season as a collective team to progress.

Stepping into the Premier league for your first season with an impressive XG around you should be seen as a positive as if you can show you are up to it, a bigger club will come knocking, which is a good outcome either way for the player and the Albion

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Going rate for a 20 goal striker appears to be 160 million

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
This comes up all the time.
If he scored 20+ goals he would be an absolute elite PL striker. Kane and Salah levels - who were the only strikers to do so last season.
If he scored 13/14 then he's way more than average. Only 8 strikers scored 14 goals or more last season.

Agreed.

Kane is likely about to move for circa £160m, in case anyone wanted to know what world you're entering into by hoping to sign a 20+ goals a season striker...

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Before this thread gets too excited - this breathless report by the Daily Record has no new reporting.
Its just, unwisely i suspect given the Naylor No, cutting and pasting our message from Rudy, to you...
https://twitter.com/Record_Sport/status/1418539941659824128
https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport...ws/transfer-news-live-rangers-celtic-24598943

Ha. Despite my warnings that this rather dubious tweet would set off a lot of unchecked , breathless "breaking news" all over the same transfer news "blogs" and "live" pages that feed off this rather thin stuff. This is exactly what has happened.
Still no new reporting. Still the only reporter , like him or not, who has actually checked in with the club or "sources close to the club" about this ...says no.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I think we can certainly hope for at least around 5-10 more goals to come from the following this coming season - Trossard, Mac Allister, Gross, Lallana, Moder, Bissouma, etc.

They managed 11 between them last season.

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
I think we can certainly hope for at least around 5-10 more goals to come from the following this coming season - Trossard, Mac Allister, Gross, Lallana, Moder, Bissouma, etc.

They managed 11 between them last season.

Yes, but etc was bang out of form.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Before this thread gets too excited - this breathless report by the Daily Record has no new reporting.
Its just, unwisely i suspect given the Naylor No, cutting and pasting our message from Rudy, to you...
https://twitter.com/Record_Sport/status/1418539941659824128
https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport...ws/transfer-news-live-rangers-celtic-24598943

Yes, 100% reliable stuff - "
... to replace Kris Ajer, who has joined Brighton.

Now that's some exclusive ..................

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
Ha. Despite my warnings that this rather dubious tweet would set off a lot of unchecked , breathless "breaking news" all over the same transfer news "blogs" and "live" pages that feed off this rather thin stuff. This is exactly what has happened.
Still no new reporting. Still the only reporter , like him or not, who has actually checked in with the club or "sources close to the club" about this ...says no.

Yet Brian Owen continues to say nothing. I don’t reckon Naylor has any more inside information than your average NSC no mark these days, but has to pretend that he does. If Owen says no, I’ll believe it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here