Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] O/T Beginning of Afghanistan War

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I do wonder if the backing of a few major powers for this particular Taliban government (Iran, Russia, China amongst others) means that they will be less hard line and extreme than previous Taliban insurgents whose sole aim was to defeat the existing powers. Taking on the Government of a huge nation is very different to fighting a guerilla war and I genuinely hope that the current Taliban movement have that as their aim (and it appears from the recent interaction with their neighbours that they may have).

And, if anyone thinks a couple of individuals are to blame for where we are, whether it be Bush, Obama, Biden, Trump, Blair or anyone else, there are NEVER simple answers to complex situations which have taken decades (or longer) and huge numbers of disparate interests to develop. To think there is a simple answer is, at best naïve, at worst stupid, and simply a recipe for further disasters :dunce:

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003

He used to play cricket, married that nice Sir James Goldsmith's daughter and was a thoroughly good egg.

It's a bit like when the British parliament had a vote on supporting Assad and bombing the Kurdish forces in Syria and then voted a couple of years later to bomb Assad's forces in support of the insurgents (including the Kurds)

How on earth is a simple man like yourself to know which side they are meant to be supporting when the goodies and baddies keep changing sides :dunce:

Baker lite

Banned
Mar 16, 2017
in my house
He used to play cricket, married that nice Sir James Goldsmith's daughter and was a thoroughly good egg.

It's a bit like when the British parliament had a vote on supporting Assad and bombing the Kurdish forces in Syria and then voted a couple of years later to bomb Assad's forces in support of the insurgents (including the Kurds)

How on earth is a simple man like yourself to know which side they are meant to be supporting when the goodies and baddies keep changing sides :dunce:

Loved watching him play for Sussex, never realised he held these views, very disappointed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit

Baker lite

Banned
Mar 16, 2017
in my house
I tell you one thing - you're not fooling me with your crocodile tears. You just love the opportunity to post something like the above, don't you?

You're just itching to say I told you so/similar, that's the only reason you're popping all these links, here there and everywhere.

Nice try.

Kindly keep your petty vendettas to the pit please.
This thread is to important to be sent there. I thank you.
https://twitter.com/gbnews/status/1427711829057232897?s=21

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Relatively like the Saudis !,, I would say Iran has a much more relaxed Islamic rule with female MPs and the Burga not encouraged, and the largest Jewish population outside of Israel in the Middle East.

Iranian are Persians though. It's the Arabs that push most of that stuff. The North African Muslim nations also reject a lot of these things that come from Arab culture in the region.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Meanwhile, in DICKHEAD central:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-58244518

_119964030_hi069503571.jpg

"The happy ending: Landed in Dubai thanks to the brilliant people at the British army. All safe!"

Taking the seat of someone who ISN'T a complete waste of skin. There must be hundreds, thousands of people more deserving of getting out of that hellhole who didn't just go there "for a laugh". What an insufferable prick.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Richard Burgon on the money as usual...

[tweet]1427570573148831745[/tweet]

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Hmm. He went there before any of this happened. Freedom of travel anywhere in the world is a fundamental component of our British values.

Had he gone there whilst this coup was taking place then I might agree - but he didn't, so I think you're getting annoyed over nothing here.

Cobblers. He went there eariler THIS MONTH - the Foreign Office was already advising on 6th August not to travel there unless absolutely necessary. The Taliban were already sweeping through the country unopposed. But no - he wanted his little adventure to boast about.

“This trip has been a test of God. I’m very religious so I believe I’ll be looked after. Before I left I wrote a letter to my friends saying that if I died, not to feel guilty, that I would die happy and religious and proud.”

No dilbert, this hasn't been a "test of God" at all. Its been a test of British troops re-deployed in order to try to evacuate as many British nationals and Afghans who have worked alongside western forces these last few years, and YOU have taken up their resources.

The fact this prick has fallen upon them to rescue him from his little jaunt is nothing short of pathetic. Yes I AM annoyed. Freedom of travel anywhere in the world is not a "fundamental right" when you dive into a warzone and then have to rely on others to go back in there and bail you out.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Richard Burgon on the money as usual...

[tweet]1427570573148831745[/tweet]

so if the Taliban had been in government there the past 20 years, how better do you think the lives of Afghans would be?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Hmm. He went there before any of this happened. Freedom of travel anywhere in the world is a fundamental component of our British values.

Had he gone there whilst this coup was taking place then I might agree - but he didn't, so I think you're getting annoyed over nothing here.

That’s not true - he said himself he knew it was happening but thought It would take them weeks to get to / take Kabul.

The bloke is a prick and I suspect has some kind of mental illness or something like ADHD. He was rinsing the life out of this just before he left, giving anyone who wanted an interview some time. He was even speaking to randoms on Skype etc and gave away the location he was in (a UN safe house) and shared details of the translator who was looking after him which will now put them in danger

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Meanwhile, in DICKHEAD central:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-58244518

"The happy ending: Landed in Dubai thanks to the brilliant people at the British army. All safe!"

Taking the seat of someone who ISN'T a complete waste of skin. There must be hundreds, thousands of people more deserving of getting out of that hellhole who didn't just go there "for a laugh". What an insufferable prick.

I really hope he gets charged the cost of getting him out - I don't want my tax to pay for saving his sorry arse.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Tom Tugendhat, who served in Iraq and Afghanistan, now speaking in the parliamentary debate. For the first time in the debate there's complete respect from all sides of the House. You could hear a pin drop. Deeply emotive, and probably the only round of applause that will be heard in that House all day. Utmost respect, sir :clap2:

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here