Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] O/T Beginning of Afghanistan War

KeegansHairPiece

Jan 28, 2016
Leave women to be executed or made into sex slaves because they are educated? Leave children to be raped and executed? We just can’t help them?
And then people like you complain when they make their way to your shores as refugees. Not one to think things through are you, really.

Yeah, Baker-Trite made the same point yesterday; sympathy for the poor souls chasing a cargo plane at Kabul airport, zero sympathy for the 'criminals' in dinghies in the Channel. The irony of having great sympathy, but not on my doorstep thank you very much completely lost on them. An opinion they justify by criminalising the ones they don't want, but oh the poor guys on the runway #pray4kabul...however #sinkthedinghies

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Leave women to be executed or made into sex slaves because they are educated? Leave children to be raped and executed? We just can’t help them?
Much of Afghanistan is made up of thriving, cosmopolitan cities like Kabul. With educated, bright people going about their lives. It’s not some third world hole.
And then people like you complain when they make their way to your shores as refugees. Not one to think things through are you, really.

Well anyway, we have left them to their own devices so you’ll be happy.

Go look at how the Kurds deal with people such as the Taliban.

Their women are on the front line fighting with the men because that's what you have to do if you don't want exactly what you outlined.

Apparently we can't jut help them because for 20 years we helped them and then when the moment came for them to help themselves they just turned over and ran.

I don't think you've thought through this at all.

Unless your idea is for the west to stay there forever and let our young men die in a pointless conflict.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Go look at how the Kurds deal with people such as the Taliban.

Their women are on the front line fighting with the men because that's what you have to do if you don't want exactly what you outlined.

Apparently we can't jut help them because for 20 years we helped them and then when the moment came for them to help themselves they just turned over and ran.

I don't think you've thought through this at all.

Unless your idea is for the west to stay there forever and let our young men die in a pointless conflict.

You clearly have very little understanding of the situation. In fact I think you have very little understanding of anything outside Geelong.

The way the withdrawal has been conducted, there was only one way this was going to go.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
You clearly have very little understanding of the situation. In fact I think you have very little understanding of anything outside Geelong.

The way the withdrawal has been conducted, there was only one way this was going to go.

Oh I have plenty. My bosses daughter married an Afghani prosthetic technician who made limbs for those Afghanis injured in conflicts. They moved from the border near Pakistan, then to France, then to Oz.

I have had plenty of discussions about what's going on with him.

It was he who convinced me that there really isn't any solution for that nation. They have pride in their area, their tribe, not in their nation.

You can't unite a nation when it was never united in the first place.

There's been twenty years for the Afghani Government to ready themselves for this very moment. They should have been ready for something they knew would come.
To say there was only one way this was going to go means you're saying you knew the Afghanis would just turn over without a fight.

If that's the case then there is no point getting our young men killed for that kind of attitude.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Oh I have plenty. My bosses daughter married an Afghani prosthetic technician who made limbs for those Afghanis injured in conflicts. They moved from the border near Pakistan, then to France, then to Oz.

I have had plenty of discussions about what's going on with him.

It was he who convinced me that there really isn't any solution for that nation. They have pride in their area, their tribe, not in their nation.

You can't unite a nation when it was never united in the first place.

There's been twenty years for the Afghani Government to ready themselves for this very moment. They should have been ready for something they knew would come.
To say there was only one way this was going to go means you're saying you knew the Afghanis would just turn over without a fight.

If that's the case then there is no point getting our young men killed for that kind of attitude.

Yes. Their government should have prepared. They didn’t. I think we have a duty to the people who are now in danger.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021

From a military point of view, advertising the time and date of your departure carries risks to your own troops, as does leaving slowly and leaving very few behind. I understand why they did it like this.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Yes. Their government should have prepared. They didn’t. I think we have a duty to the people who are now in danger.

So the duty of care was with the Government and the people.

Some will say the whole nation is now in danger, so we ship millions out and dump them around the Western world?

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
From a military point of view, advertising the time and date of your departure carries risks to your own troops, as does leaving slowly and leaving very few behind. I understand why they did it like this.

Interesting. I hadn’t thought of that.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Interesting. I hadn’t thought of that.

A horrendous outcome anyway.

I don't have anything else to say form a military perspective, other than the Taliban's main priority right now will be to be gathering up and procuring training on the cutting edge US kit and weaponry they will have just procured. They will now be unbeatable in a ground war for generations and will find it way easier than before to subdue any contested regions .... if they choose to do so.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
A horrendous outcome anyway.

I don't have anything else to say form a military perspective, other than the Taliban's main priority right now will be to be gathering up and procuring training on the cutting edge US kit and weaponry they will have just procured. They will now be unbeatable in a ground war for generations and will find it way easier than before to subdue any contested regions .... if they choose to do so.

I agree. The never ending problem.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

Baker lite

Banned
Mar 16, 2017
in my house
what a load of tosh. cant keep up this pretence of being against occupation and being against leaving. confusing Afghanistan and Iraq is just ignorant of the history.

It’s all very well for war criminals to start illegal wars, they need to have an exit strategy, not just up sticks and **** off. It takes a lot longer than 20 years, the US and UK are still on Germany over 75 years later, the UK are still in Cyprus. The people of Afghanistan have been badly let down by NATO.
Blair,Bush and Cambell should be doing time.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
It’s all very well for war criminals to start illegal wars, they need to have an exit strategy, not just up sticks and **** off. It takes a lot longer than 20 years, the US and UK are still on Germany over 75 years later, the UK are still in Cyprus. The people of Afghanistan have been badly let down by NATO.

to beat a very tired horse, the exit strategy was for the Afgans to take over. been planned for years and now its time to implement. it not on NATO, our leaders now or 20 years ago that the Afgan's failed to do their part.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST

Has Blair been convicted of war crimes? Not sure anyone should be bandying terms like that around.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here