Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] O/T Beginning of Afghanistan War

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I’m not going to view your video because of this; ‘what a glorious takedown. Watch this.’
What sort of person can watch unfolding events and listen to terrified Kabul residents and then revel in snide politicking ?

yep, too many are just using this event to grind old and new political axes.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
The airport footage was hard to watch. Also hard to relate it to reality. Seemed like something out of a film. I’ve not been affected like that by scenes of war since the Bosnian conflict. I genuinely despair that humans are still putting each other through such horrors when now, more then ever we need to be cooperating to ensure the very survival of life on Earth.
I find it genuinely upsetting that it’s the 21st century and we still can’t stop killing and torturing each other.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
I’m not going to view your video because of this; ‘what a glorious takedown. Watch this.’
What sort of person can watch unfolding events and listen to terrified Kabul residents and then revel in snide politicking ?

Donald Trump Jnr has been doing just that, forgetting it was his dad that signed the 'peace' deal.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Perhaps you could point me to bit in my past where I called Bliar a war criminal?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Oh. You’re playing that game.

Why do you think Blair should be “doing time”?

What are you accusing him of exactly?

Who were you were referring to when you said ; “It’s all very well for war criminals to start illegal wars…” ?

Baker lite

Banned
Mar 16, 2017
in my house

How about;
Why do you think Blair should be “doing time”? What are you accusing him of exactly?

977709ede8461cf2399972a60e6cf8ae.jpg

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
977709ede8461cf2399972a60e6cf8ae.jpg

So why do you think he should be doing time?

What are you accusing him of?

And who were you referring to when you said “it’s all very well war criminals starting illegal wars”?

You know, forget it. If it carries on in this vein, it’ll be in the pit. Forget it.

Baker lite

Banned
Mar 16, 2017
in my house
So why do you think he should be doing time?

What are you accusing him of?

And who were you referring to when you said “it’s all very well war criminals starting illegal wars”?

Use your imagination.
We haven’t even got to David Kelly yet..

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Use your imagination.
We haven’t even got to David Kelly yet..

As I said, forget it. You’ve made yourself very clear. You don’t have the courage of your convictions and I don’t want this to end up in the pit.
Best leave it.

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020

Why do you think Blair should be “doing time”?

What are you accusing him of exactly?

Who were you were referring to when you said ; “It’s all very well for war criminals to start illegal wars…” ?

The decision to invade Iraq by the UK was a democratic decision by our sovereign parliament, the will of the people.....

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
calling [MENTION=616]Guinness Boy[/MENTION].....please protect this thread from the bear pit (see posts above) :thumbsup:

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
Oh I have plenty. My bosses daughter married an Afghani prosthetic technician who made limbs for those Afghanis injured in conflicts. They moved from the border near Pakistan, then to France, then to Oz.

I have had plenty of discussions about what's going on with him.

It was he who convinced me that there really isn't any solution for that nation. They have pride in their area, their tribe, not in their nation.

You can't unite a nation when it was never united in the first place.

There's been twenty years for the Afghani Government to ready themselves for this very moment. They should have been ready for something they knew would come.
To say there was only one way this was going to go means you're saying you knew the Afghanis would just turn over without a fight.

If that's the case then there is no point getting our young men killed for that kind of attitude.

I find some of your posts hard to agree with tbh but this is probably the most interesting point of view posted on this thread.

As an aside, my sister in law also has strong tribal views re Africa, she's a black Zimbabwean living over here since her early 20s. I don't think "the West" often understand tribal issues when they/we try to topple a dictator/government abroad and then impose Western values and governance on the people. Shock horror, other people abroad may not think in the same terms as "we" do.

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon
There was a piece on Twitter a few days ago showing the dead bodies of all the men who worked for the US/UK forces being executed outside there own houses and bodies left in the Street.
Horrific scenes

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
There was a piece on Twitter a few days ago showing the dead bodies of all the men who worked for the US/UK forces being executed outside there own houses and bodies left in the Street.
Horrific scenes

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

I suspect that the Taliban are in full propaganda mode while "quietly" in the background perhaps this is going on.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I really can't predict where this is heading.

It is another example of how you can't force democracy and Western values on nations.

Like any country, Afghanistan is a population full of different opinions and political orientations. But at the same time, many will be pro-Taliban and want Islamic rule.

I think it comes down to how extreme the Taliban will be - or whether they will rule with relative moderation like Saudi Arabia and others.

If they do begin to commit atrocities then there will be war... which they will lose again... and it will be another decade of fighting.

If I had to make a prediction, I suspect they will have the sense to minimise any extreme acts of violence against their own population, if only for their own self preservation. But it will be an oppressive place to live, for moderate Muslims and for women.

And non-muslims. An Afghani Sikh caller to LBC today said Sikhs have lived in the proximity for 500 years, but now fear for their lives.

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
I really can't predict where this is heading.

It is another example of how you can't force democracy and Western values on nations.

Like any country, Afghanistan is a population full of different opinions and political orientations. But at the same time, many will be pro-Taliban and want Islamic rule.

I think it comes down to how extreme the Taliban will be - or whether they will rule with relative moderation like Saudi Arabia and others.

If they do begin to commit atrocities then there will be war... which they will lose again... and it will be another decade of fighting.

If I had to make a prediction, I suspect they will have the sense to minimise any extreme acts of violence against their own population, if only for their own self preservation. But it will be an oppressive place to live, for moderate Muslims and for women.

Relatively like the Saudis !,, I would say Iran has a much more relaxed Islamic rule with female MPs and the Burga not encouraged, and the largest Jewish population outside of Israel in the Middle East.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here