Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] O/T Beginning of Afghanistan War

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
It’s a good debate. Here is Theresa May’s speech;

‘ ‘Where is Global Britain on streets of Kabul?’: Theresa May condemns UK failure to form alternative alliance after US withdrawal’

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www....n-theresa-may-boris-johnson-b1904502.html?amp

After years of mismanagement of defence spending we seem to be in the ludicrous position of no longer being an independent military power. Needs reversing. The one thing I would disagree with her about is her statement that we could have organised a non military solution to stop the Taliban. They have sensed military weakness and acted accordingly. They don’t do diplomatic solutions.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
It’s a good debate. Here is Theresa May’s speech;

‘ ‘Where is Global Britain on streets of Kabul?’: Theresa May condemns UK failure to form alternative alliance after US withdrawal’

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www....n-theresa-may-boris-johnson-b1904502.html?amp

After years of mismanagement of defence spending we seem to be in the ludicrous position of no longer being an independent military power. Needs reversing.

Appreciate this'll be a fairly nonsense reply given the content of the thread but...I quite like her Star Trek uniform style dress.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
what i find incomprehensible is politicans lining up for their dig when they've offer no alternative, wanted us to leave or never be there in the first place.

its well known for many decades NATO is dependant on US for operations, other than us and the French* no one has capabilities to deploy sustained force overseas. i'd have thought an ex-PM would know this.

(*dont recall if the French are in NATO this week)

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Listening to the debate this morning, and I accept it’s far more complex than this comment, is there any British citizen not utterly embarrassed by Boris Johnson?

Tokyohands

Jan 5, 2017
Tokyo
There's a lot of talk about how Afghanistan must not become a terrorist hide-out, yet the Taliban leaders were hiding in Qatar and who knows who else they're harbouring. No one's talking about Qatar for some reason......

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
There's a lot of talk about how Afghanistan must not become a terrorist hide-out, yet the Taliban leaders were hiding in Qatar and who knows who else they're harbouring. No one's talking about Qatar for some reason......

not hiding, they have an "office" there, leaders meeting with US and Afgan government over the years.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
So heartbreaking the scenes on the news. How desperate as a mum or dad would you have to be to pass your tiny wee toddler over a wall to an unknown soldier from an unknown nation to give them, hopefully, the gift of a better life than they could expect in their own country under Taliban rule :down:

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Last edited:

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
R/S has made many genuine points on Afghanistan over the years and as posted Tom/T no doubt spoke for millions. Maybe The Taliban are saying get your people out and after six weeks we do what we want ?

Baker lite

Banned
Mar 16, 2017
in my house

Hopefully our national team will make a stand and boycott the Qatar World Cup, stadiums built by slaves, shocking treatment of LGBT community and to top it all off, giving sanctuary for the last few years to seventh century savages.
Not for me Clive.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here