Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Now all you doom mongers can whine

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Could the non-appearance of any more players and a sensible, but restrictive, budget be a part of the masterplan?? I wonder if the Board want our first season to be a winning one and therefore another year in league 1 wouldn't be so bad??

That would be a stupid plan... the budget is the budget, and it obviously has some money to be spent, but we are obviously trying but failing to get the players we so obviously need...

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
What I cannot phathom about all of this negativity is that we have only played a handful of games, it's not even the end of August!
We don't know this team is really going to perform this season...because we've barely had a chance to get going.
Who knows if Barnes will recapture the form of last season....I don't, but I won't write him off after four matches?
Maybe Murray will score 20 goals, maybe he won't....maybe we will sign players before the deadline....

Who can tell or predict how this season will pan out, it's simply impossible to tell. The two Argentinians may turn out to be a success, Holroyd might score, the list goes on...and who is to say anyone we do bring in will be the answer.

Maybe, just maybe poyet is taking his time in order to pick the right players and make sure it's money well spent rather than wasting what we have

All of that makes sense, except the Holroyd comment... seems very unlikely he will come good; he has had plenty of chances and failed miserably, IMHO...

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Yep, Gus has got it all wrong. How I wish we had you in charge instead. :rolleyes:

I just despair at the ridiculous impatience of some fans on here. Why can't people accept the fact that we are a WORK IN PROGRESS right now. So many people seem to expect Gus to transform us from a team that was fighting relegation last season, to promotion certs this season over the course of this summer transfer window ! Will you just LISTEN to yourselves ?!!

Yes, it IS frustrating that we havn't yet managed to sign the striker we need, but everyone throwing hissy fits and criticising TB and the manager at every turn is absolutely PATHETIC. Its always got to be NOW NOW NOW hasn't it.

Why don't you just have a bit of f***ing PATIENCE and let him get on with building and improving the squad. The brand of football has improved MASSIVELY since Gus came in, but it doesn't mean we can be considered instant candidates to go up just yet. Give the guy a chance for fucks sake.

I AGREE with all of this Easy.

However TB (and to a certain extent) GP saying they want automatic promotion has made peoples expectations soar thru the roof.

I understand why it was said with Falmer on the horizon and also whats the point in saying ideally we want to be 10th this year. Hardly get bums on seats will it.

But by saying outright promotion means that people will expect us not to lose ANY games.

Thing is most of us KNOW that this team (especially upfront) is not good enough for automatic promotion.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Let's get worried after the Tue deadline passes... even then tho' there are loan and free agent possibilities... that said, neither of those options are great, IMHO...

Eggman

Jul 8, 2003
West Sussex
Yep, Gus has got it all wrong. How I wish we had you in charge instead. :rolleyes:

I just despair at the ridiculous impatience of some fans on here. Why can't people accept the fact that we are a WORK IN PROGRESS right now. So many people seem to expect Gus to transform us from a team that was fighting relegation last season, to promotion certs this season over the course of this summer transfer window ! Will you just LISTEN to yourselves ?!!

Yes, it IS frustrating that we havn't yet managed to sign the striker we need, but everyone throwing hissy fits and criticising TB and the manager at every turn is absolutely PATHETIC. Its always got to be NOW NOW NOW hasn't it.

Why don't you just have a bit of f***ing PATIENCE and let him get on with building and improving the squad. The brand of football has improved MASSIVELY since Gus came in, but it doesn't mean we can be considered instant candidates to go up just yet. Give the guy a chance for fucks sake.

Beggars belief doesn't it.

Not even September and most fans are throwing hissie fits and writing the season off.

Classic

murraymint

Aug 13, 2008
All of that makes sense, except the Holroyd comment... seems very unlikely he will come good; he has had plenty of chances and failed miserably, IMHO...

The jury is still out for me, looked neat but a little lightweight last season. A goal could change things, even playing in a team in good form could help.

Reading some of the stuff on here lately, it's like it's the end of the season, not the start.
How can we judge Poyet's work after just a few games of the campaign?

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Anyone who is dumb enough to have their expectations raised by Tony's naive, daft comments about promotion (I don't recall Gus - the one out of this pair who does know what he's on about - saying anything about expecting promotion, in fact he has said the opposite) and grizzles about it as a justification to beat him with evidently hasn't bothered engaging their 'thinking for themselves' gene.

Now, now, now.
Blame, blame, blame.
Blah, blah, f***ing blah...

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003

How can you possibly make that blunt statement? Dickinson has been a top scorer in L2... and Holroyd has done nothing anywhere near that... also, my eyes tell me Holroyd has ZERO to offer at L1 level, let alone the Championship level we aspire too...

Genuine question... what do you see in Holroyd?

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
I look it like this. We have a transfer budget. 70% of which has been spent on bringing in players that will ensure that we do not flirt with relegation (like the past two seasons). 30% left over for a few other additions, including a striker. What is obvious is this amount isn't enough to bring in a striker.

As fans we are impatient, we see Tonys millions spent on the ground and believe that he will splash the cash on players regardless. Well it aint gonna happen, we have a budget and we live within it.

Gus has ensured that we wont go down this season. Next season we will not have to spend on those type of players. We will still have a transfer budget to live within, but it will probably be a bigger one and can spend it on flair players.

Yes, our opening season at Falmer will probably be in L1. But crowds will be good and we can make a real go of promotion next year.

From relegation candidates past two seasons to promotion the next was always asking it. We are building a ground and a team. Like the ground it'll take more than a year.

I'll still enjoy this season, knowing that we are at last moving forward as a club.

Icy Gull; said:
Think like this and you'll probably enjoy the season. Expect playoffs at the least and you're likely to have a frustrating one. Just playing good football is an excellent start imo and if it turns into a play off push, great. If not just enjoy the Albion passing the ball rather than hoofing it. Promotion is a bonus not a right

That about sums it up for me. On previous 'where do you think we'll fininsh' threads I've said 7th-10th and that hasn't changed.

I look at things on a game to game basis, I just want to enjoy my saturdays and have a laugh at the football with my mates. We're now playing better football than we've seen in years, at the moment that's enough to keep me satisfied.

If you set these high expectations of big names and promotion you'll only end up disappointed.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Anyone who is dumb enough to have their expectations raised by Tony's naive, daft comments about promotion (I don't recall Gus - the one out of this pair who does know what he's on about - saying anything about expecting promotion, in fact he has said the opposite) and grizzles about it as a justification to beat him with evidently hasn't bothered engaging their 'thinking for themselves' gene.

Now, now, now.
Blame, blame, blame.
Blah, blah, f***ing blah...

Yes, well you and others appear unable to criticise ANYTHING the club do or fail to achieve... a much bigger crime IMHO...

Eggman

Jul 8, 2003
West Sussex
How can you possibly make that blunt statement? Dickinson has been a top scorer in L2... and Holroyd has done nothing anywhere near that... also, my eyes tell me Holroyd has ZERO to offer at L1 level, let alone the Championship level we aspire too...

Genuine question... what do you see in Holroyd?

A young striker a bit low on confidence. He seems to have a good touch and budles of pace. I think he will come good.

I won't through, write him off and slate him after a handful of starts.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
A young striker a bit low on confidence. He seems to have a good touch and budles of pace. I think he will come good.

I won't through, write him off and slate him after a handful of starts.

I genuinely hope you are correct, but I will be amazed if he makes it at L1 level...

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Criticism of the club is one thing - and I can dish it out in spades. So you've got that horribly wrong.

All this, on the other hand, is truly PATHETIC.

Pathetic!? How is saying you can see the shortcoming in our squad pathetic?

On the other hand, pathetic is slagging off anyone who disagrees with you... that is your bag it seems...

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Criticism of the club is one thing - and I can dish it out in spades. So you've got that horribly wrong.

All this, on the other hand, is truly PATHETIC.

Actually, please provide examples of your 'constructive' criticism of the club... should be fun...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here