Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Not a pop at Atilla, but.....

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Yorkie said:
Any bright ideas of how to get round the planning permission?
If we could shake off the restrictions it would give the NIMBYs even more ammunition to fight Falmer.

Obviously he knows something the club doesn't Yorkie :lol: :lolol:

attila

1997 Club
Jul 17, 2003
South Central Southwick
Dear Dave,

Been to a punk rock gig recently? You'll find that at least 50% of the audience is under 20 (and that's for the 'old' bands: if you're talking the new breed of young punk bands like Capdown, King Blues etc 95% are...)

The stuff I play is very mixed. Yesterday for instance we had 'American Idiot' by Green Day which the 'kids' will know, since it was a hit a couple of years ago, 'WMIHP' by the Clash from '78 and 'A Design For Life' by the Manics - from the nineties. Plus of course Gully's Girls doing their stuff to Fatboy Slim. We've had The Strokes, Razorlight, Feeder, Snow Patrol recently to name but four, all big players right now. So it's not 'old 70s stuff' at all.

What it isn't is anodyne, brain numbing aural smegma of the type you hear far too often at other grounds and ALL THE TIME on Southern bloody FM, which is a f**ing dreadful lobotomised waste of a frequency and worse than Crystal Palace! Are you seriously saying that 'kids' all want to listen to the Cheeky Girls?
Gey your arse down Concorde 2 and check what's happening!

Love,

Attila

Yorkie said:
Any bright ideas of how to get round the planning permission?
If we could shake off the restrictions it would give the NIMBYs even more ammunition to fight Falmer.

No I haven't any bright ideas-merely making a suggestion that fighting to get rid of some of the draconian restrictions would go some way to making Withdean feel like a football ground again.

Last edited:

Bakesy

Farting for ENGLAND!!!
Feb 13, 2005
How would i know?I'm pissed.
The idea of goal celebration music seems very unpopular, BUT......It get's EVERYONE envolved vocally......something that we desperately need.Once the people in the quieter blocks get used to making a bit of noise, they may actually get to enjoy it .

Totally irrelevant at the moment though as we don't score.:(

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Nemesis said:
No I haven't any bright ideas-merely making a suggestion that fighting to get rid of some of the draconian restrictions would go some way to making Withdean feel like a football ground again.

I understand but it just isn't possible.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
attila said:
Dear Dave,

Been to a punk rock gig recently? You'll find that at least 50% of the audience is under 20 (and that's for the 'old' bands: if you're talking the new breed of young punk bands like Capdown, King Blues etc 95% are...)

The stuff I play is very mixed. Yesterday for instance we had 'American Idiot' by Green Day which the 'kids' will know, since it was a hit a couple of years ago, 'WMIHP' by the Clash from '78 and 'A Design For Life' by the Manics - from the nineties. Plus of course Gully's Girls doing their stuff to Fatboy Slim. We've had The Strokes, Razorlight, Feeder, Snow Patrol recently to name but four, all big players right now. So it's not 'old 70s stuff' at all.

What it isn't is anodyne, brain numbing aural smegma of the type you hear far too often at other grounds and ALL THE TIME on Southern bloody FM, which is a f**ing dreadful lobotomised waste of a frequency and worse than Crystal Palace! Are you seriously saying that 'kids' all want to listen to the Cheeky Girls?
Gey your arse down Concorde 2 and check what's happening!

Love,

Attila

Dear Attila.

I was at Concorde 2 last week and have seen bands such as The Hot Knives, Neville Staples etc etc, and I go most Sunday afternoons to The Brunswick for their Jazz Stuff and local bands, so please do not patronise me by saying " get your arse down...etc etc"

If what you are playing is OK by Da kids, then great...carry one. Quite honestly I dont give a monkeys as I dont get into the ground before 10 to 3....however I was making a suggestion to try and brighten up the experience for youngsters...I am not talking about 20 years olds, I am talking about 8-15 years olds who the parents and group organisers bring along.

As I said, if its a bad idea, then fine..it was just a suggestion.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
So I've got to listen to what 8-15 year olds want?

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Yorkie said:

Oh for goodness ake...you are 1 of 6000...the club has "GOT" you.....these are the future when you and I are long gone.

Zesh Rehman

Sep 6, 2006
Oxford
Dave the Gaffer said:
Most kids havent the faintest idea what punk or most of the stuff that is played actually is.

dont be stupid, id hate it if they played the trash known as modern music.

You cant beat the classics Dave.

Last edited:

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Dave the Gaffer said:
Oh for goodness ake...you are 1 of 6000...the club has "GOT" you.....these are the future when you and I are long gone.

What Zesh said. :p

and check out his age.

Last edited:

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Yorkie said:

I can see Dave's point though, thinking about it in a larger scale, shouldn't we be doing more to attract kids to the club, it really irks me when I go out and about Shoreham and see so many under 10's with Chelsea or Man. U tops on, never see a Brighton shirt amongst them...I guess its not glamorous to follow BHA, we battle against the TV, and Withdean doesn't help, but surely we could do something to help ensure we have a following in 30 years time? :lol:

Last edited:

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I wish I had never started this.

Ok...carry on at morgue Withdean..Its obviously just fine as it is.

I am off to watch some decent entertainment..Wales vs Ireland

:wave: :wave: :wave:

Dave the Gaffer said:

If we are going to change music to try and entice young fans don't you think you are missing the point Dave?
They should be enticed by the fact that they are watching their home club and watching a decent football match!

William Chops

Feb 3, 2007
The music is the bloody highlight of my visit to Withdean these days.

If you think that changing this will improve the atmosphere then you are misguided.

Within the fixed parameters of Withdean, the only thing which will affect the atmosphere is decent football.

Vicar!

Jul 22, 2003
Worthing
If you had SFM doing the music we would plummit towards Boney M and Abba in the first week. Meanwhile dear old Slash FM have just discovered the Mersey Beat! so not much hope there then.

Maybe one day we could have a local equivilent to XFM, the only radio station worth listening to at the moment.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
The day our ears cease to be assaulted for 15 minutes by out of date punk rubbish will be a joyous one to say the least.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Im all for goal music as long as its not Proud like Blackburn have :safeway

Bakesy is right, its a way to get some sound going.

Wilka

Nov 18, 2003
Burgess Hill
Nice to hear the Manics yesterday! :clap2: :clap2:

I don't mind the Music at Withdean but it does seem to be the same few songs from the same few bands.

Time to start taking requests again Attila!

How about some Bloc Party or keeping on the Manics theme some of James Dean Bradfields amazing solo album?

Or even plug some of the local bands like Electric Soft Parade?

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Dave the Gaffer said:

Spot on DTG, We've taken on a mentality of "this is a private club for private members and we dont like change" these days.

There's too many Dinosaur supporters around the club these days with set opinions, It's time we started to attract some new young blood to the stands with some new ideas!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here