Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Norwich after Crofts [merged]

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Regarding "runs around a lot", my point is fans seem to take to those types of player very quickly, and tend to overrate their actual contribution, due to the fact it "looks" like they're doing a lot all the time, if you get me.

astevens76

Jan 22, 2010
Bristol
good player but if we get 400,000 what a result

definate result.something around £400,000 for someone we got on a free is very good business, even if we dont really need the money

he will be missed if he does go though. lets just hope poyet has someone up his sleeve to replace him (which im pretty sure he does :thumbsup:)

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
definate result.something around £400,000 for someone we got on a free is very good business, even if we dont really need the money

Well thats the point isn't it, we don't need the money. So why sell him? we're supposed to be building a team for promotion and we sell our captain and integral midfielder.

Earlier in the season I repeatedly made the point about Adams' first season building a decent squad despite finishing 15th or so, and then adding some finishing touches leading to 2 successive championships. We didn't sell players in that second close season. This time we've lost Calderon and Crofts, Forster has left and it looks like we won't keep Barnes and maybe Lua Lua too. So its more wholesale changes and its making it that much harder to go up now.

What is particularly frustrating is that Poyet isn't even here to try and keep him, instead he's scouting in Uruguay. He'll probably pick up some fancy player who'll look great for 5 or 6 games and then go completely missing in the winter.

I'm sure there's counter arguments that we'll sign even better players, but I'm not convinced. Whoever said that a team is more than just the sum of its parts was right.

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
Well thats the point isn't it, we don't need the money. So why sell him? we're supposed to be building a team for promotion and we sell our captain and integral midfielder.

Earlier in the season I repeatedly made the point about Adams' first season building a decent squad despite finishing 15th or so, and then adding some finishing touches leading to 2 successive championships. We didn't sell players in that second close season. This time we've lost Calderon and Crofts, Forster has left and it looks like we won't keep Barnes and maybe Lua Lua too. So its more wholesale changes and its making it that much harder to go up now.

What is particularly frustrating is that Poyet isn't even here to try and keep him, instead he's scouting in Uruguay. He'll probably pick up some fancy player who'll look great for 5 or 6 games and then go completely missing in the winter.

I'm sure there's counter arguments that we'll sign even better players, but I'm not convinced. Whoever said that a team is more than just the sum of its parts was right.

I think the Calderon scenario suggests that 400k would be a VERY WELCOME addition to our transfer budget

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
Regarding "runs around a lot", my point is fans seem to take to those types of player very quickly, and tend to overrate their actual contribution, due to the fact it "looks" like they're doing a lot all the time, if you get me.

Jeez you're preaching on this thread too!

astevens76

Jan 22, 2010
Bristol

true. id definately rather him stay with us than us take a sum of money for him. theres a reason why he won player of the season, and we know exactly what we would get from him should he be here next season.

and i agree with what you're saying about building the team. poyet has got them playing together, and playing well together, so it would be a shame to see that broken up. especially seeing as he is our captain

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
I would be very disappointed to see him leave. I thought he was a very worthy recipient of the Player of the Year, and you don't want to lose players like that.

£400k is a good price for him, but it's not an irresistable amount I wouldn't have thought. £1.5m for Virgo, now THAT was irresistable.

Joe Gatting's Dad

Feb 10, 2007
Way out west
I do not understand this - "we do not need the money" - any business and that includes runnning our favourite football team, still has to live within a budget - otherwise the money will run out before we have achieved anything.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
I think the Calderon scenario suggests that 400k would be a VERY WELCOME addition to our transfer budget

Not a question of the transfer budget a bid over 300k and we should have been snapping their hands off. A profit like that after a season in this league is good business.

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
Obviously like most transfer fee's it will probably be "undisclosed", but i feel the 400k estimate is probably quite a bit over the top. I believe he only has one more year on his contract, and as important he is to our team (Imo), he is by no means a top League 1 player.
I'd say more 150/200k topps... but thats only me guessing.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Obviously like most transfer fee's it will probably be "undisclosed", but i feel the 400k estimate is probably quite a bit over the top. I believe he only has one more year on his contract, and as important he is to our team (Imo), he is by no means a top League 1 player.
I'd say more 150/200k topps... but thats only me guessing.

Yeah I agree. Prob be 200k with maybe 100k of add on's if Norwich go up etc etc etc

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Funny how the number of people saying things like "he's not that good" and "we can easily replace him" are growing by the minute now he's going. Some of us realised he wasn't all that within a few games and got SLATED for it!

Facts are, he's a lower league player who puts in a lot of effort and leads the team reasonably well. However, on the other hand, he's very limited on the ball, doesn't get involved enough for a supposedly energetic type of player and can't create anything. He's worth about £50k, and any bid over £100k should be accepted without question. Gus should, can and WILL get someone better for a fraction of that money.

Hmm so guess you know more than the Norwich gaffer then

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here